Where do I go to find older CHDK builds (especially vrsion 1.2) - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Where do I go to find older CHDK builds (especially vrsion 1.2)

• 40 Replies

Online reyalp

Re: Where do I go to find older CHDK builds (especially vrsion 1.2)
« Reply #10 on: 11 / January / 2015, 01:10:04 »
Advertisements
Sorry for not getting back, I just enabled email notifications so that I will be able to better keep track of these threads.

for that post that you linked to, I ran the script and CHDK release

with the debug enabled, simply taking a raw file after turning the camera on (DNG 1.1)
MEM: 0x53369555
FP: 500
MP: 500
Thanks for testing. Based on this I have increased the pause in CHDK 1.3 and 1.4 to 320 ms.

It would be helpful if you can take a 5+ individual shots, with raw enabled, not using continuous shooting, and note the FP value after each shot.

If normal shooting hits the 320 ms timeout every time, we may need to look for other options.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #11 on: 11 / January / 2015, 01:41:27 »
Sorry for the delay,

I did 5 non burst shots though i am not sure if these results are reliable as the value is normally 450-460, but after less than a second, it just changes to 500

Shot 1: FP: 500
Shot 3: FP: 500
Shot 4: FP: 500
Shot 5: FP: 500
Shot 6: FP: 500
though there is something weird with the debug info, after taking an image, for a split second, the FP: value will show a different value other than 500, then go back to 500

Most commonly, FP would be at 450-460 for a split second before jumping to 500. I recorded a video of the behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4DwN-ENBg&feature=youtu.be

The SD card used in the camera, is the PNY Elite Performance 64GB (read speeds are around 88MB/s and write speeds top out at about 60MB/s when used with a USB 3.0 card reader.

I wonder why the FP is lower with the script than with the manual single shot image?
« Last Edit: 11 / January / 2015, 01:49:39 by Razor512 »

Online reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 11 / January / 2015, 02:54:42 »
Sorry for the delay,

I did 5 non burst shots though i am not sure if these results are reliable as the value is normally 450-460, but after less than a second, it just changes to 500
I think what you are seeing is the value updating while the wait is happening, with the ISO just causing the UI to be refreshed to actually see it. The value is cleared when the raw hook is reached, and really shouldn't change outside of the actual wait.
The SD card used in the camera, is the PNY Elite Performance 64GB (read speeds are around 88MB/s and write speeds top out at about 60MB/s when used with a USB 3.0 card reader.

I wonder why the FP is lower with the script than with the manual single shot image?
This isn't about card speed. CHDK inserts code to capture the raw (the "raw hook") somewhere in some poorly understood Canon code. On some cameras, the Canon firmware hasn't always incremented the file counter by the time the code reaches this point. The "pause for file counter" setting makes the raw hook wait, either until the counter changes, or some timeout. The timeout is needed because the counter might be correct already. In that test build, the timeout is 500, so if FP is 500, it means the counter was already right.

I think what you are seeing is that in normal single shooting, the counter is right pretty much every time. So the code waits 500 ms (during which you can see the FP value change) and then continues. The wait is only consistently needed when shooting fast.

IIRC this matches results I got from someone else in IRC when the problem first came up for this camera.

We could make the pause longer in continuous mode, but that' wouldn't help scripts like this that just holds down shoot_half and clicks shoot full.

The current 1.3 (and 1.4) autobuilds will wait 320 ms, which was longer than any of your script results showed. This should fix the missing raw problem, but may slow down regular shooting, or the first shot in a burst.

Please let me know if you see the missing raw problem with 1.3.

I'll need to think more about other possible solutions or testing.

« Reply #13 on: 11 / January / 2015, 03:35:03 »
In testing the sx230hs-101b-1.3.0-3910-full build, the raw files still fails to save.

With this build and doing a bunch of continuous shots, it managed to create 2 raw files, though they were really small.

In doing a 4 image burst, it did 2 38KB files

Online reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 11 / January / 2015, 13:54:34 »
In testing the sx230hs-101b-1.3.0-3910-full build, the raw files still fails to save.
Can you confirm that the test build with the FP debugging correctly saves raw every time?

With this build and doing a bunch of continuous shots, it managed to create 2 raw files, though they were really small.

In doing a 4 image burst, it did 2 38KB files
This is very strange. I don't think file counter issue by itself shouldn't be able to cause anything like this. Will need to investigate more.

Were these the only raw files saved, or were some correct?

« Reply #15 on: 11 / January / 2015, 14:04:42 »
With the 1.2 build where I copied the FP info, all of the raw files saved at their 18.2MB size (no corruption)

For the 1.3 build using the burst shooting (Shutter release button held down), none of the raw files saved properly (only 2 were saved, and they were 38KB in size), but doing non burst shooting, allowed for every image taken, to properly save a raw file

Online reyalp

« Reply #16 on: 11 / January / 2015, 14:12:56 »
With the 1.2 build where I copied the FP info, all of the raw files saved at their 18.2MB size (no corruption)

For the 1.3 build using the burst shooting (Shutter release button held down), none of the raw files saved properly (only 2 were saved, and they were 38KB in size), but doing non burst shooting, allowed for every image taken, to properly save a raw file
Just to be sure, you tested each build with exactly the same method (e.g. continuous mode or script) and settings?

« Reply #17 on: 11 / January / 2015, 14:18:20 »
Yep, I used continuous mode for both after creating the bad pixel file and enabling raw (DNG 1.1).
The raw issue still happens even if not using DNG.

Online reyalp

« Reply #18 on: 11 / January / 2015, 14:49:12 »
The 38KB seems to be a complete DNG header and thumbnail without any image data :blink:

This is pretty odd, since the file is only opened once, and there aren't really any branches that would skip writing the data after the thumb is written...

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #19 on: 11 / January / 2015, 15:48:06 »
The 38KB seems to be a complete DNG header and thumbnail without any image data :blink:

This is pretty odd, since the file is only opened once, and there aren't really any branches that would skip writing the data after the thumb is written...
write() tries to take the fileio semaphore too and fails if it cannot (default timeout is 3 seconds). The same semaphore is used by filewritetask. Perhaps it is 'taken' for a longer time in continuous mode.

edit:
I don't see this problem on my ixus115 (r47 just like the sx230) in continuous mode.
« Last Edit: 11 / January / 2015, 16:15:54 by srsa_4c »