SX30 IS - problem using Custom Auto ISO - pressing shutter without focusing - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

SX30 IS - problem using Custom Auto ISO - pressing shutter without focusing

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
Hi,

I've been using CHDK on my Canon SX30 IS.

I'm using aperture priority and CHDK custon Auto ISO enabled with slowest shutter speed set to 1/250.

I noticed that when I compose a shot and press the shutter button halfway to focus first and then press it all the way to take a shot I get the expected shutter speed of 1/250 or faster (say 1/500) with expected changes in ISO value - the pictures turn out fine.

I also noticed that if I press the shutter button all the way without allowing the camera to focus and show me the settings on the display and then just take the photo CHDK custom Auto ISO doesn't work correctly - I always get a shutter speed of 1/160 with expected changes in the ISO value - the pictures come out blurry because of the low shutter speed - their exposure is ok though.

Do I always have to focus first to use CHDK custom Auto ISO?

Is there a way to override the apparent default shutter speed of 1/160?

After reading over the shutter speed override instructions I'm confused with playing with shutter speed override.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
Re: SX30 IS - problem using Custom Auto ISO - pressing shutter without focusing
« Reply #1 on: 13 / September / 2011, 17:38:47 »
Hi,

I've been using CHDK on my Canon SX30 IS.

I'm using aperture priority and CHDK custon Auto ISO enabled with slowest shutter speed set to 1/250.

I noticed that when I compose a shot and press the shutter button halfway to focus first and then press it all the way to take a shot I get the expected shutter speed of 1/250 or faster (say 1/500) with expected changes in ISO value - the pictures turn out fine.

I also noticed that if I press the shutter button all the way without allowing the camera to focus and show me the settings on the display and then just take the photo CHDK custom Auto ISO doesn't work correctly - I always get a shutter speed of 1/160 with expected changes in the ISO value - the pictures come out blurry because of the low shutter speed - their exposure is ok though.

Do I always have to focus first to use CHDK custom Auto ISO?

Is there a way to override the apparent default shutter speed of 1/160?

After reading over the shutter speed override instructions I'm confused with playing with shutter speed override.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

What build of CHDK are you using?
A problem with Tv overrides, when pressing the shutter quickly, was fixed fairly recently.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Re: SX30 IS - problem using Custom Auto ISO - pressing shutter without focusing
« Reply #2 on: 26 / September / 2011, 18:53:54 »
Hi,

I was using build 1291.

I upgraded to build 1342.

Shooting under CHDK Auto ISO now works properly when I press the shutter button quickly without holding the button halfway to focus.

Thanks for the update.