would you consider adding dual partition for the g7x so it can use exFAT - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

would you consider adding dual partition for the g7x so it can use exFAT

• 15 Replies

Offline reyalp

Advertisements
as for camnotes, maybe i do not understand correctly:
No "firmware update" file is included in the autobuild, you must used
bootable SD card to load. See known bugs below.
A firmware update is not included in the autobuild, because of the bugs described there.  I included one in the 6224 test so you could use the make card bootable, before realizing that doesn't actually work on multipart cards.

It was also not included in my 6232 test, because I didn't think about it ;) but I guess the make multiple partitions function isn't very useful without firmware update. I suppose you could make the card bootable fat32, then load CHDK, then make multiple partitions.

while testing the dual partition feature of version 6232, i did use play->menu->update firmware 1.0.0.0 to 1.1.0.0 and that does work, but only if the card is set to locked (making the cam complain about that on boot via play).....
I don't really understand. Card lock should not matter for firmware update, and if the camera complains about the card being locked, that should mean CHDK isn't running... if CHDK isn't installed or the card isn't bootable, it will say card locked before you run firmware update, but that doesn't matter.

whoops, the fi2 file was from 6224, i did not erase the card but just copied over the old, since there was no new fi2 file it stayed.
this is the reason the dual partition failed..it states 6224 at boot
Yes, if you boot with that fi2, you're running 6224 (with modules from the other build, but there's no real difference in this case)

Anyway, here's a build with the firmware update file included. You should be able to use it to start CHDK in playback mode.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
It was also not included in my 6232 test, because I didn't think about it ;) but I guess the make multiple partitions function isn't very useful without firmware update. I suppose you could make the card bootable fat32, then load CHDK, then make multiple partitions.

that is an option, however, then you need to low level format the card going back from fat32 to exfat, since it leaves traces that make the card extremely slow, even though i have to format it on the pc after making the partitions.
so that would not be my preferred method.

I don't really understand. Card lock should not matter for firmware update, and if the camera complains about the card being locked, that should mean CHDK isn't running...
you are right there, it only complains about that before i do the firmware update, sorry i was not clear about that.

as for firmware update, maybe it should not matter in theory. but in real life it does matter on the g7x.
only if i use the cam with firmware update AND card locked it will load chdk and becomes functional. otherwise it either crashed immediately or when i press the shutter button to go to record.

Yes, if you boot with that fi2, you're running 6224 (with modules from the other build, but there's no real difference in this case)

Anyway, here's a build with the firmware update file included. You should be able to use it to start CHDK in playback mode.
the g7x is now running of a dual partition card that was created in cam, it all works.

a small step for man always puts a smile on my face, and becomes a giant leap in chdk functionality. thanks for solving this.

the method that works for me:
- place the build on any large sd card (>=64GB)
- LOCK the SDcard
- place it in your cam
- use play to start the cam
- menu->up->firmware update to 1.1.0.0->YES
- play->menu->miscellaneous stuff->sd card->create card with 2 partitions->YES
- UNLOCK card, back in your pc, format 2mb as FAT and large one as exFAT
- place the build on both partitions (2mb without chdk folder)
- fire up CHIMP, select the small FAT partition and select make card bootable.
- lock the card again and load it in your g7x
« Last Edit: 09 / April / 2023, 15:12:29 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

Offline reyalp

the g7x is now running of a dual partition card that was created in cam, it all works.

a small step for man always puts a smile on my face, and becomes a giant leap in chdk functionality. thanks for solving this.
Thanks for confirming and providing the step by step description. I checked in the change in trunk 6235, though with FI2 disabled in the autobuild, it's probably not much use to anyone.

I didn't observe any difference in firm update behavior between locked and unlocked, but I only tried a couple times and FI2 loading is clearly buggy, so perhaps it makes a difference in combination with some other factors.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
I didn't observe any difference in firm update behavior between locked and unlocked, but I only tried a couple times and FI2 loading is clearly buggy, so perhaps it makes a difference in combination with some other factors.

you already shared a different method to create partitions, so i can always use that for the g7x or use one of the other cams.

if it had a buggy start (f.u. without card locked) i need to remove the battery before i try firmware update with card locked. otherwise it seems there is a big chance to stay in buggy mode.
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2023, 03:10:45 by Mlapse »

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
FI2 loading is clearly buggy, so perhaps it makes a difference in combination with some other factors.
Same as https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12542.msg146089#msg146089  :(?
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2023, 09:32:54 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
Same as https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12542.msg146089#msg146089  :(?

not that i'm aware of, i tested at 20% with firmware update (according to chdk, so it might have been 21% just when i did the update) and it worked, maybe at 5% it won't, but still that would seem a prudent precaution from canon to protect against corruption.