New GPS functionality for the SX230 - page 4 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

New GPS functionality for the SX230

• 34 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: New GPS functionality for the SX230
« Reply #30 on: 20 / December / 2014, 08:59:20 »
Advertisements
@WW
While crawling through the language file I noticed that some GPS related strings are duplicated. Can you take a look?

« Reply #31 on: 20 / December / 2014, 10:41:20 »
@WW
While crawling through the language file I noticed that some GPS related strings are duplicated. Can you take a look?
The only duplicates I found are :

Code: [Select]
513 "Change to play-mode"
514 "Shutdown backlight"
515 "Change to play-mode"
516 "Shutdown backlight"
which are used in different menus to configure different time intervals.  However, as you noticed, they are the same wording at the moment.

There are other things that need to be cleaned up in the GPS menu (I fixed some length issues but not all for example) and some things could probably be combined for simplicity (e.g.  do we really need to be able to specify a different shutdown or backlight off time when navigating to a home versus navigating to the coordinates in a photo ?).    If it makes sense at that point,  I'll remove any duplicated strings when I do the rest of the changes?   

Not sure how to tackle the internationalization - the German strings (for example) are still too long for the screen on the S100 although I assume they are fine on the original author's sx230.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #32 on: 04 / January / 2015, 12:36:28 »
I've posted an update to the 1.4.0 GPS code - mostly minor /  cosmetic  changes for centered semi-transparent background strings ,  a fix to the GUI menu handling,  removal of all SX240 GPS references.

rudi sent me a list of some things he was working on - the patch file is sufficiently out of date to be no longer usable unfortunately.   However,  I've tried to summariize the important aspects here and merged it with my "to do" list.

To Do
=====
  • Call drawing routines from gui_osd.c (thread safe that way)
  • Convert position tracking regression routines to only update when camera has moved at least a minimum distance.
  • Make automatic shutdown when image tagging optional.   Shutdown happens first time pix taken with tagging enabled.
  • Cancel "can't navigate to file/home" error messages on key press rather than just on timeout
  • Define two types of gps-tables (some cams use SIRF and some use NMEA).  Update dng.c to use the new tables.

Would Be Nice
=============
  • Convert to modules (done but not released due to concerns about complexity introduced by multiple tasks)
  • Allow setting OSD positions via editor - dish / globe / compass / warning messsages
  • Allow the lock out of all buttons but Func/Set while powered down in GPS tracking mode
  • Combine the satellite / compass / tracking icons to reduce screen space utilization.
  • It would nice to see always gps receiver status
  • Indicate how many sats detected (2D vs 3D status)

Sorry if I missed anything important - this list is going to take a while to wade through as it is.

« Reply #33 on: 02 / March / 2015, 14:33:24 »
It's quiet some time since I last looked at the CHDK code and forums and the search returns so many other things when searching GPS, I have overlooked this thread and posted a patch directly here.

With the patch the errors (no signal, no gps info in image, ...) are shown using the message box instead of writing them directly to the screen and wait/block for a few seconds. Because the line length of the message box is limited I had to add newlines to some messages.
I couldn't get it to show the message when the timezone has changed and also a "Automatic shutdown cancelled!" message (I have no idea when it should be shown). I nevertheless replaced both instances with the mbox code from the other (working) cases.

« Reply #34 on: 15 / March / 2015, 15:41:49 »
With the patch the errors (no signal, no gps info in image, ...) are shown using the message box instead of writing them directly to the screen and wait/block for a few seconds. Because the line length of the message box is limited I had to add newlines to some messages.
Finally got a moment to play with this.  I went back and forth between your patch and the current svn code.  What an improvement!   Makes me want to start working on the other things on the list.   I'll ping reyalp about getting the patch added to the svn - it's a great start !

I couldn't get it to show the message when the timezone has changed and also a "Automatic shutdown cancelled!" message (I have no idea when it should be shown). I nevertheless replaced both instances with the mbox code from the other (working) cases.
Those are a bit tricky to trigger - as you found out.  The "Automatic shutdown cancelled!"  is triggered by pressing the DISP key - although my S100 has no DISP key so the MOVIE_REC key is used instead.  I have not played wih the timezone stuff much.