KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 18 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum  

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #170 on: 10 / May / 2014, 10:05:01 »
Advertisements
but one question, you can compare the picture, for example IMG1813, 1810. the detail of the red car, and the cow. still is not good ? but you can see, at least these few picture has more detail than the others. and why you say that it is not like a focus issue?
IMG1810 is better than most of the images but the green colors on the ground look to be all smudged.

by the way, can you post some picture of your camera shoot point down from around 300 meter high? I really want to know how good and detail could a camera make it.
I don't have any pictures of my own but these shots are what I was expecting to see :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6118.msg91326#msg91326

The author of that post also has more info about UAV shooting :
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10223.msg101855#msg101855
including some comments about the effects of vibration for the motor.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #171 on: 10 / May / 2014, 20:40:36 »

2 USB control is really working great, but the problem is the time, when I trigger it, it took 6 second to be ready for another trigger, before that if you trigger it, it just been ignored. How can I improve it ? Because if I put intervalometer camera can the picture in 3 second fastest.
The USB control mode was setup to start/stop intervalometer shooting when the USB power = 5V ( i.e. On).   It was really not designed for single shot shooting via USB pulses.  Obviously it could be changed to do that if necessary if you can't leave the USB on when you want the UAV to be shooting.   The nice thing about the current setup is that it retracts the lens when USB power is absent.  This slows down the cycle time but is a really nice thing to have prior to your UAV rejoining the ground.
[/quote]

Hi Waterwingz, can you include a new feature into your script, let Gentled CHDK2 USB cable PWM signal trigger the camera to make a shoot? for that people can use control board to control shooting by fly distance. also control many shooting parameter during the fly.

here is the simple sample for that but in ubasic. I can help you make test.

@title gentled chdk2 script - Version 2
rem author Dave Mitchell - dave@zenoshrdlu.com
rem this script does nothing except display the state of the two transmitter joysticks that
rem correspond to the two receiver servo slots connected to the Gentled CHDK2
rem it's designed to let you test that your Gentled CHDK2 is working properly
rem
rem you can modify this script by putting whatever camera actions you like in place of the "print" statements

while 1
   do
      a = get_usb_power
   until a>0
   if a < 5 then gosub "ch1up"
   if a > 4 and a < 8 then gosub "ch1mid"
   if a > 7 and a < 11 then gosub "ch1down"
   if a > 10 and a < 14 then gosub "ch2up"
   if a > 13 and a < 17 then gosub "ch2mid"
   if a > 16 and a < 20 then gosub "ch2down"
   if a > 19 then print "error"
wend
end

:ch1up
   print "channel 1 up"
   return

:ch1mid
   print "channel 1 middle"
   return

:ch1down
   print "channel 1 down"
   return

:ch2up
   print "channel 2 up"
   return

:ch2mid
   print "channel 2 middle"
   return

:ch2down
   print "channel 2 down"
   return

« Reply #172 on: 11 / May / 2014, 12:00:24 »
The USB control mode was setup to start/stop intervalometer shooting when the USB power = 5V ( i.e. On).   It was really not designed for single shot shooting via USB pulses.  Obviously it could be changed to do that if necessary if you can't leave the USB on when you want the UAV to be shooting.   The nice thing about the current setup is that it retracts the lens when USB power is absent.  This slows down the cycle time but is a really nice thing to have prior to your UAV rejoining the ground.

Fantastic script, thanks for you great work!
If it's possible it would be nice to have an improved version that works faster with the "usb control" because, as already reported after the "usb shot" the script shows the preview of the image (can not be disabled, or can not find how to do it) and to take the next shot it takes too many seconds, not usefull during flight with a plane for orthophoto.
With the intervallometer function and my Isux 125 i can make shots at full quality (superfine) every two seconds, superb!
With the "usb control" only every 6 seconds (too long for my X8).
I wait the V2.5 version...  :P

Bests, Marco (3DRobotics)
« Last Edit: 11 / May / 2014, 12:02:28 by Bobo67 »

« Reply #173 on: 11 / May / 2014, 12:11:04 »
Hi Waterwingz, can you include a new feature into your script, let Gentled CHDK2 USB cable PWM signal trigger the camera to make a shoot? for that people can use control board to control shooting by fly distance. also control many shooting parameter during the fly.
I'll take a look but I don't have any Gentled stuff so somebody will need to do the testing.   

Note that on some cameras, the USB pulse width timing is pretty inaccurate.  This might need the new HP timer functions enabled.

If it's possible it would be nice to have an improved version that works faster with the "usb control" because, as already reported after the "usb shot" the script shows the preview of the image (can not be disabled, or can not find how to do it) and to take the next shot it takes too many seconds, not usefull during flight with a plane for orthophoto.
You need to disable the "preview" in the Canon menus. This is not something that CHDK controls.  On every one of my cameras, you can adjust the time that the preview is displayed - including turning the feature off.

Meanwhile,  when I look at the Gentled stuff (above),  I'll also add a "single shot via USB mode" that should be a lot faster.  The current code actually goes to playback mode between shots (to retract the lens in case you are landing) and this slows things down a lot.

« Reply #174 on: 11 / May / 2014, 13:36:21 »

You need to disable the "preview" in the Canon menus. This is not something that CHDK controls.  On every one of my cameras, you can adjust the time that the preview is displayed - including turning the feature off.

Meanwhile,  when I look at the Gentled stuff (above),  I'll also add a "single shot via USB mode" that should be a lot faster.  The current code actually goes to playback mode between shots (to retract the lens in case you are landing) and this slows things down a lot.

The "preview" in the Canon menus is disabled.
Same issue with Canon Ixus 140 and 125.
If you possible add an option to disable the preview or better some like "go to preview only if there's no usb command for x seconds", thanks!
« Last Edit: 11 / May / 2014, 13:38:22 by Bobo67 »

« Reply #175 on: 11 / May / 2014, 13:48:59 »
The "preview" in the Canon menus is disabled. Same issue with Canon Ixus 140 and 125.
If you possible add an option to disable the preview or better some like "go to preview only if there's no usb command for x seconds", thanks!
It's because the camera goes into playback mode when USB is inactive (i.e. intervalometer off).  When I add the "single shot under USB control" mode,  you won't see that.

« Reply #176 on: 11 / May / 2014, 14:30:40 »
What shooting parameters are you interesting in controlling mid-flight?    Other than taking an actual photograph, what kind if things would you want to change during a flight?   Zoom?  Switch to video mode?  Shoot in high speed burst mode (with exposure locked) ?  Retract lens?  Reformat the SD card?

I run out of ideas pretty quickly but am very open to suggestions.

« Reply #177 on: 11 / May / 2014, 18:58:10 »

I'll take a look but I don't have any Gentled stuff so somebody will need to do the testing.   

Note that on some cameras, the USB pulse width timing is pretty inaccurate.  This might need the new HP timer functions enabled.

I will test for you.

« Reply #178 on: 11 / May / 2014, 19:03:47 »
I will test for you.
Thanks.  I now have all the code changes done to add the two new USB modes - single shot per USB pulse and Gentles pwm detection mode - in addition to the old mode of intervalometer while USB power is present.    Not quite sure how to tell the lens to retract in single shot per USB pulse mode though.

If I can find another hour today and my Arduino test rig will fire up and send precision pulses, I'll do some testing prior to sending you a new version.

« Reply #179 on: 12 / May / 2014, 08:08:18 »
Nice, if you want i'm here for testing the "one shot usb" function with my two Ixus.

Regards, Marco