KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 28 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies

Offline MarkB

• Flickr
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #270 on: 01 / September / 2014, 23:55:16 »
Advertisements

For fun I did a test with the AUTOEXP3 script yesterday set at a shot every 3 seconds.  It seems to hold the 3 seconds. 
Does the exposure not seem to flicker here too?  Looks a bit like that to me.
[/quote]

Yes the exposure does flicker here also.  Though not as badly as in some of the other tests.

Here is the test I did with the TLAPTEST script.  Still some flickering and changes in interval time.

I kept the camera in Program mode, so I could turn off servoAF, AF-assist Beam and Review.  AF Frame was Center and size normal.  Metering mode was Center Weighted AVG.  Recorded Pixels was M2 1920x1080

http://youtu.be/FApgk5wZE70

« Reply #271 on: 02 / September / 2014, 19:08:07 »
Same pattern :

Attached is a modified version of the script that logs to the SD card at 1/4 the rate of the previous script.  I would be interesting to see if that moves the slow downs.  Next step after that is to try logging with the file handle left open for the whole sequence and to log to RAM and only write to SD card at the end of the sequence.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

1500th Download : KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #272 on: 05 / September / 2014, 18:34:28 »
Just a quick note to acknowledge the 1500th download of the kap_uav.lua script yestereday.  The download count is now at 1503.

Thanks to the kap & uav community for your interest in the script and ongoing support through feature requests and test reports.

It seems that many KAP's have a big interest in the more sophisticated features that Lua makes possible ..... as they have now clearly told me!

Offline MarkB

• Flickr
« Reply #273 on: 08 / September / 2014, 00:48:41 »
Another test this weekend with the latest TLAPTEST script/  Some flicker and slow down and speed up.

http://youtu.be/-OByidaPPjg

« Reply #274 on: 08 / September / 2014, 09:05:42 »
Another test this weekend with the latest TLAPTEST script/  Some flicker and slow down and speed up.
I'll take a look tonight. Meanwhile, can you try the same sequence but with all logging disabled? ( set the Logging parameter to "none").

It will be interesting to see if all the speed changes go away

Offline M141

« Reply #275 on: 08 / September / 2014, 13:45:53 »
Hi,
I have some problems with script editing and need some advice or help.

When using " video interleave" mode i like to set focus mode to AFL@Infinity with video. I'm shooting with IXUS 300ELPH and it sucks with autofocus in video. For pictures i'm using setting "none" with good results. So maybe this script should have separate parameter for video and picture focus?

So far i simply tried to force focus mode to AFL everytime video is recorded.  It seems to work ok with chdk 1.2 but not with chdk 1.3? With 1.3 it seems to lock focus everytime very near like <2.5m:
Code: [Select]
-- Video mode
function check_video(shot)
    local capture_mode
    if ((video_mode>0) and(shot>0) and (shot%video_mode == 0)) then
        unlock_focus()
        sleep(500)
        focus_mode = 2                                                    -- Change focus mode to AFL @ Infinity??
        lock_focus()
        printf("Video mode started. Button:"..tostring(video_button))
printf("Video mode finished.")
        sleep(1000)
        unlock_focus()
        focus_mode = 0                                                   --mode back to 0 (None)
        sleep(500)                                   
        lock_focus()
        return(true)
    else
        return(false)
    end
end

I'm not good with scripting so like to have tips how to change it? By the way is there any good editor that is made specially for scripts?

Regards Jani
« Last Edit: 08 / September / 2014, 15:09:53 by M141 »

« Reply #276 on: 08 / September / 2014, 18:48:05 »
Interesting result! 

This version of the  script only writes once to the log file per picture (the original scripts write four times).  Same amount of data, just all combined into one write vs four.

The frequency of the slow downs has stayed the same in every test (approximately every 150 images) regardless of shot frequency or # of writes.    However, it seems that once it slows down, decreasing the number of log writes per picture makes a big difference in the delay - 12 seconds down to about 5.  Which I think makes sense as you are writing once instead of four times while the card is running slow.

I'll post a version that logs to RAM and only writes a log file after the script has shot the desired number of images.

« Reply #277 on: 08 / September / 2014, 19:00:37 »
When using " video interleave" mode i like to set focus mode to AFL@Infinity with video. I'm shooting with IXUS 300ELPH and it sucks with autofocus in video. For pictures i'm using setting "none" with good results. So maybe this script should have separate parameter for video and picture focus?
I don't have a lot of experience with trying to use manual focus with video (although I have a little experience with MF and regular shooting) so I'm not prepared to try this right now. But the nice part about CHDK scripts is that you can edit and modify to suit your needs and desires. 

So far i simply tried to force focus mode to AFL everytime video is recorded.  It seems to work ok with chdk 1.2 but not with chdk 1.3? With 1.3 it seems to lock focus everytime very near like <2.5m:
You now have my full and undivided attention.  Would you mind enabling logging in the script parameter in the CHDK Script menu and run the test with both 1.2.0 and 1.3.0 and post the logs here?

-- Video mode
function check_video(shot)
    local capture_mode
    if ((video_mode>0) and(shot>0) and (shot%video_mode == 0)) then
        unlock_focus()
        sleep(500)
        focus_mode = 2                                                    -- Change focus mode to AFL @ Infinity??
        lock_focus()
        printf("Video mode started. Button:"..tostring(video_button))
        printf("Video mode finished.")
        sleep(1000)
        unlock_focus()
        focus_mode = 0                                                   --mode back to 0 (None)
        sleep(500)                                   
        lock_focus()
        return(true)
    else
        return(false)
    end
end
On quick inspection, this looks okay.  Nice hack!

By the way is there any good editor that is made specially for scripts?
Any programming editor that supports syntax highlighting for Lua will work.  For Windows I'd suggest notepad++ although there are a raft of others.
« Last Edit: 08 / September / 2014, 20:54:52 by waterwingz »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #278 on: 08 / September / 2014, 22:09:39 »
The frequency of the slow downs has stayed the same in every test (approximately every 150 images) regardless of shot frequency or # of writes.    However, it seems that once it slows down, decreasing the number of log writes per picture makes a big difference in the delay - 12 seconds down to about 5.  Which I think makes sense as you are writing once instead of four times while the card is running slow.
Are all these tests being done with the same card? If so, it would be every interesting to know what brand / size / model it is, and if different brands show the same behavior. Apologies if this was mentioned earlier, I skimmed the last few posts but I haven't been following closely.

Cards have various wear leveling and garbage collection stuff that may be relevant https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelArchived/Projects/FlashCardSurvey
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #279 on: 08 / September / 2014, 22:59:01 »
Are all these tests being done with the same card?
MarkB has told me that he has CHDK loaded on a Patriot  LX series 16GB Class 10 card that he has been using for the tests.  He also has a Lexar Platinum II  16GB  200x Class 10 and a Kingston 16GB Class 10 but has not tried those.

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier, I skimmed the last few posts but I haven't been following closely.
I try to keep most discussion out of PM's but this one has been a little busy and has gone both ways.