KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 84 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies

Offline lanzo

Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #830 on: 25 / April / 2016, 16:52:37 »
Advertisements
waterwingz APM PLane software is ready to log from hotshoe feedback:
http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-camera-shutter-with-servo.html?highlight=log#common-camera-shutter-with-servo-enhanced-camera-trigger-logging

« Reply #831 on: 26 / April / 2016, 08:23:05 »
waterwingz APM PLane software is ready to log from hotshoe feedback:
I guess if you have a camera with a hotshoe then this could be interesting.  Unfortunately most small cameras suitable UAV work do not have one.  The ability of kap_uav.lua to blink an LED when the shutter opens, coupled with a little extra hardware, might be useful instead.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #832 on: 06 / May / 2016, 13:30:00 »
Hey WW,

Hope all is well. Along the lines of APM hot shoe feedback, I have a phototransistor cable working with the Shot Sync LED. Works great on my S110. The Shot Sync LED flashes the red eye LED for maybe a tenth of a second for each picture. The phototransistor cable records precise camera location to the Pixhawk. However,  I have a customer with a different S110. His flashes the LED for close to 1 second. That causes extra CAM events in the Pixhawk log. A resistor change may help hold the hi / lo state, but I'd like to figure out why the LED stays on so long on his S110. It's not the shutter speed. That will make the LED stay on if you make it long. Any idea where to start?

Thanks!

Brian

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #833 on: 06 / May / 2016, 13:59:36 »
However,  I have a customer with a different S110. His flashes the LED for close to 1 second. That causes extra CAM events in the Pixhawk log. A resistor change may help hold the hi / lo state, but I'd like to figure out why the LED stays on so long on his S110. It's not the shutter speed. That will make the LED stay on if you make it long.
If all the hardware is the same then i guess that leaves two options.

The most likely option would be some difference in either the Canon menu settings or the CHDK settings. I'm not too sure what that might be but having RAW Enabled (either Canon RAW or CHDK RAW/DNG) would certainly do it.

The other option might be a slow SD card, or maybe an almost full one, or one with a really large log file.  The script writes to the log file in between the points where it turns the LED on and off.

Any idea where to start?
I can add something to log the actual on & off times for the LED if you can get him to run a test version and report back.
« Last Edit: 06 / May / 2016, 14:01:49 by waterwingz »

« Reply #834 on: 06 / May / 2016, 14:03:24 »
That'd be great. Let me know where to download. Thanks!

« Reply #835 on: 07 / May / 2016, 11:29:37 »
That'd be great. Let me know where to download. Thanks!
Test version :  https://app.box.com/s/xm53d9wuu8pj2y6go674zx6uw9ckrl1z

Note that while running this on my old G10,  I noticed that the LED stays on for about 1.3 seconds in "normal" or "fast" shooting modes.  In "burst" mode that drops to 0.22 seconds.

It might be possible to have the script produce a shorter pulse but it will require a bit of somewhat tricky code to make the change transparent (i.e. not increase the actual shot time).

« Reply #836 on: 07 / May / 2016, 14:51:48 »
Thanks!  Will test my customers camera in a few. When you say "fast" and "burst" modes are you talking about  Shot Interval (sec) fast and burst? Also, what should Shot Interval (sec) should be set to if using USB trigger type "OneShot"? There used to be a setting for "0".

Thanks!!

Brian

« Reply #837 on: 07 / May / 2016, 16:10:31 »
When you say "fast" and "burst" modes are you talking about  Shot Interval (sec) fast and burst?
Yes.
Also, what should Shot Interval (sec) should be set to if using USB trigger type "OneShot"? There used to be a setting for "0".
I guess that's not exactly clear.  If you are using any of the USB trigger types,  then setting Shot Interval to Burst will shoot in continuous mode (i.e. with "half-press" maintained and the shots triggered by a full press only.)  Setting it to Fast (or any number) causes each shot to do a full half-press - full-press sequence for each shot.

When I get a minute, I'll see if I can come up with a better way to setup the user parameters so that this is a little more obvious.

« Reply #838 on: 07 / May / 2016, 16:40:13 »
I'm getting extra pictures when the airplane turns even though trigger pulses are stopped at the end of the survey area. See red dots in the attached photo. Also note how close blue dots and green dots are to each other. That is from Pix4D. Blue dots are the georeferenced camera location from the Pixhawk log, green dots are where Pix4D thinks the camera is. There used to be much further spacing, and less accurate maps. Thanks for adding the Shot Sync LED!!!

What do you think is causing the extra un-triggered pictures?

USB Shot "Pixhawk"
Camera set to "Continuous"
Shot Interval set to "Burst"

« Reply #839 on: 07 / May / 2016, 16:51:08 »
What do you think is causing the extra un-triggered pictures?
This was discussed recently here  (  https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10822.msg127196#msg127196 )

In order to shoot really quickly, the script waits for each USB pulse just prior to the actual camera shutter opening.  This means it has actually started the next shot as it waits and so when you stop sending "shoot" commands,  it needs to complete the final shot.  This shows up as the extras you see on your SD card.

I don't really have a way to fix that at the moment.