any way to change Low Battery voltage threshold ? - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

any way to change Low Battery voltage threshold ?

• 20 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: any way to change Low Battery voltage threshold ?
« Reply #10 on: 09 / January / 2009, 19:55:59 »
Advertisements
just unpacked the eneloops. they were manufactured january 2008. 1 year old. chdk voltage: 5300. impressive.
gonna conduct more tests with my charger though, and later with cam.
i'm actually thinking about benchmarking, doing all sorts of things via script, logging voltage to logfile. do we have something similar like this already?

Offline tgt

« Reply #11 on: 10 / January / 2009, 02:53:28 »
The s3is is a lot less vulnerable to battery parameters (at least in my case). Maybe it's because it uses 4 cells, so the camera internal voltage convertrer works in more comfortable conditions. Higher voltage requires less current, so it's more energy efficient. Small digicams with 2 cells tend to "die" much faster, especially when taking photos with flash. This is not only because 2 cells can  store less energy. Those two cams: (s3is and a570) have different current drain of course, mostly because of mechnical design and mass of moving parts. To make a comparable test, both should be tested with AFL, AEL etc. so that only the CCD sensor and the electronic circuit were consuming the current. The result (I guess) would be that i.e. a570is made 200 photos, while s3is around 500.

My suggestion to Hacki: try to make those measurements with additional 0.05...1 Ohm resistor (several within this range) conected in series with the PSU, and You'll see what happens (its better to do it without the SD card).

this "feature" will lead only to camera crahes, stops and/or filesystem corruption...
I would take that risk. If the "write" LED acts the same like a computer HDD LED, the SD card operations are always conducted in a "low" energy drain phase (in Play mode or after taking a shot). The voltage drop should be far less than when i.e. charging the flash. I agree, that this is VERY DANGEROUS, buy the User has ALWAYS the CKDK's voltage lever indicator... and should react even better than the software ;)

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #12 on: 10 / January / 2009, 06:24:45 »
User has ALWAYS the CKDK's voltage lever indicator... and should react even better than the software ;)
the user will use the batteries until the camera turns off :P

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #13 on: 10 / January / 2009, 06:32:01 »
i'm actually thinking about benchmarking, doing all sorts of things via script, logging voltage to logfile. do we have something similar like this already?

See sunsetF15 for a (temperatures included) logging example. We don't have a battery voltage script command, but adding one to Lua is dead easy (but to put one into trunk needs a little bit more thought, it should probably return both voltage and percentage according to chdk conf), just take a similar function's luacb as an example and add your new one to the register funcs list.

« Reply #14 on: 03 / October / 2010, 19:53:41 »
[The technology used in Infinium/Eneloop Ni-MH leads to extension of storage time without self discharge at the expense of increased internal resistance. In such case, those batteries are best suited for low power devices, and NOT for digicams.]

I'm confused. Are the hybrids suited for the Canon A570IS or not?

I'm using Rayovac 2100 hybrids, slow-charged with a La Crosse BC-700. The camera begins demanding "fresh" batteries almost instantly. I can usually fool it by turning the camera on and off a few times, and/or swapping the batteries front to back. But it's frustrating to see the camera rejecting fully charged batteries.

[Eventually - solution the problem is to forget about the problem and buy a high performance Ni-MHs.]

Which batteries do you recommend?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #15 on: 04 / October / 2010, 01:47:39 »
Hello & welcome, slobjones !

I'm confused. Are the hybrids suited for the Canon A570IS or not?
Which batteries do you recommend?

Eneloop type batteries are a very good choice for Canon Powershots, especially for the cameras with only 2 AA size batteries.

Why ?
Quote from: wikipedia.com
Low self-discharge NiMH batteries typically have a significantly lower internal resistance than traditional NiMH batteries.

* Voltage is more stable (less load- and capacity-dependent). This can have a beneficial effect on runtime in electronic devices, which typically have a cut-off voltage per battery that is not much lower than NiMH's nominal voltage. (However, this can also cause some devices with battery status indicators to overestimate the remaining capacity of a nearly drained cell.)

« Reply #16 on: 07 / October / 2010, 10:33:20 »
[Eneloop type batteries are a very good choice for Canon Powershots, especially for the cameras with only 2 AA size batteries.]

Thank you, fe50. While the Rayovac hybrids I'm using are favorably compared to the Eneloops, the Canon has not handled them well. I'm still wondering whether I'll have any different results with Eneloops.

I've seen some suggestions that 2700 Nimhs might be better suited for the Canons because of the higher capacity. Any truth to that idea?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #17 on: 07 / October / 2010, 16:29:57 »
I've seen some suggestions that 2700 Nimhs might be better suited for the Canons because of the higher capacity. Any truth to that idea?

Only if you use the camera a lot and only install freshly charged batteries. High capacity NiMH cells self discharge down to somewhere near the capacity of those 2000 mAh eneloops rather quickly, so if you're a regular user who recharges every month or two there's probably no gain at all.

But if you put a freshly charged set of batteries in the camera and set it up shooting a timelapse for a few hours, you'll definitely get more shots out of those 2700 mAh ones because they do have more energy in them to start with.

« Reply #18 on: 06 / March / 2011, 13:14:18 »
I also was somewhat frustrated to put four freshly charged batteries in my Canon S3 only to have the things shut down on me. I haven't tried them myself yet but I was contemplating on purchasing NiZN ( Nickel Zinc ) rechargeable batteries. PowerGenix seems to make them.
They are discussed in this Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-zinc_battery
They seem to be on sale online and I saw them in a local store too.
The downside would be I need to buy a charger for them. Charger and 4 batteries will set you back about $8-$12. 
I don't know if this is the spot for it but I do want to thank all the people to put in time and effort in making the sw and forum available.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #19 on: 06 / March / 2011, 13:52:27 »
I also was somewhat frustrated to put four freshly charged batteries in my Canon S3 only to have the things shut down on me. I haven't tried them myself yet but I was contemplating on purchasing NiZN ( Nickel Zinc ) rechargeable batteries. PowerGenix seems to make them.

I've never tried them but they are tempting even though their open circuit voltage does exceed Canon's external power supply voltage (for a570) quite a bit which theoretically could be a bad thing for the camera. Also, from what I've read, for highest lifetime it may be a good idea to not fully discharge them, especially when you have multiple unbalanced cells in series connection. CHDK's configurable battery voltage indicator will help to remind early, though.