CHDK in the media - page 2 - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Poll

CHDK & it's Fame

Hire a PR dude, create adverts & merchandise - CHDK shall be known everywhere
3 (2.9%)
let "big" magazines/websites get to know chdk (e.g. by email)
11 (10.5%)
spam fora, blogs, comments
3 (2.9%)
Word of mouth!
28 (26.7%)
i like my small community, let's keep it clean and simple
60 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

CHDK in the media

• 160 Replies

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
Re: CHDK in the media
« Reply #10 on: 26 / February / 2008, 14:20:00 »
Advertisements
Is the wiki has multilanguage support?

Yes, it has multilanguage support. There are some pages in other languages. See Category:Articles in other languages - CHDK Wiki
CHDK Developer.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #11 on: 03 / March / 2008, 18:26:49 »
by the way folks, what do you think: should we start promoting CHDK more "aggressively" than by just "word of mouth"?
looking from a programmer's point of view i know at least 2 big german IT-related magazines/websites that would cover the topic of CHDK in lenghty articles, if only they knew about it - meaning: one should write them an email.
same goes for photography magazines/websites.

there will be floods of people swarming the forum and the wiki. meaning more server-payload, more trouble-shooting,"newbie-bashing", etc. on the other hand, i guess CHDK would profit from it by having a larger base of c-skilled programming photography aficionados. and also useful feature requests, bug reports, more firmwares, etc. maybe even evil corporations will jump on the bandwagon and either sue us, or steal some of chdks ideas.

what do you think about this?
edit: will add poll.

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #12 on: 04 / March / 2008, 03:06:02 »
we don't need advertising, if somebody is interested  in canon firmware upgrade or tuning will find chdk via google

maybe it is better if we have subforums for all other languages instead of different websites about chdk in different locations and countries? hm.
i think it's better to have separate pages in other laguages...they will take care of newbies who don't know english

we shold keep small development oriented community...
for example at se-nse.net (sonyericsson modding/hacking forum) is full of newbies without any advertisment....

if the situation becomes bad, you should make a subforum just for developement, just for peoples with some programming skills

ps:
maybe i would like to join the developemenet but i'm lazy right now :P and i hate c compiler error messages...

« Reply #13 on: 04 / March / 2008, 03:28:13 »
you can do as you wish, but my server bandwidth is not unlimited... So if it get's too big, I may be forced to drop out (not that we are near that situation now).

Cheers

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #14 on: 04 / March / 2008, 04:18:17 »
another reason to keep forum small and organized

« Reply #15 on: 19 / March / 2008, 10:00:37 »
CHDK post at metafilter (large community blog):
Things you never thought you could do with your camera | MetaFilter

« Reply #16 on: 19 / March / 2008, 20:20:17 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:39:17 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #17 on: 20 / March / 2008, 14:46:30 »
some quotes from that site:
One guy dumped it to the "ready" led and then captured it via a photodiode to his soundcard and then to a bit stream.

Oh jebus. It's too bad I'm already married.

It's like the fairy tale ending where the girl passes up the flashy rich guy for sweet kind Joe The Blacksmith, only to find out Joe is actually some awesome magician.

I loved my S3 before this, now I'm glad I passed on the DSLRs.
haha :lol

a link someone posted in this blog: http://web.archive.org/web/20060204000118/ipodlinux.org/stories/piezo/ it's about getting the firmware of an ipod, not via a led, but the minispeaker :D

also interesting:
Heh, that "stunning sunset example" in the FPP links to our site.

Mike patched CHDK to have a getTimeOfDay() function, so he can configure his camera before he gets to bed, and a few minutes before sunrise starts it automatically starts capturing a timelapse. It's pretty awesome.

lotta people from that "blog" now want to buy a canon p&s, which among other things is a reason for me to NOT send info about chdk to slashdot.org or any other "big site" - the prices for USED cameras will rise. and i cant let that happen, as i desperately seek a) a used s3is and b) used or defective a620, and i cant afford to buy them at "new" prices :)
« Last Edit: 20 / March / 2008, 15:17:35 by PhyrePhoX »

« Reply #18 on: 20 / March / 2008, 17:04:35 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:39:45 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #19 on: 21 / March / 2008, 18:33:59 »
« Last Edit: 21 / March / 2008, 20:25:16 by PhyrePhoX »