POLL: How did you find out about CHDK? - page 2 - General Chat - CHDK Forum  

Poll

The amazing benefits of CHDK became known to me by ... (pick one (or two) that's closest)

A friend, relative, someone I barely know ... told me.
18 (11.1%)
While surfing the net someone raved on and on about it in a post.
45 (27.8%)
One of my favorite online magazines did an article on it.
11 (6.8%)
This strange camera-shop owner whispered c.h.d.k to me as I left.
1 (0.6%)
I'm a counter-intelligence spy looking for new surveillance tools.
4 (2.5%)
I found a CHDK hand-bill shoved under my windshield wiper.
0 (0%)
Someone showed me an impossible photo done with CHDK, I had to know more.
6 (3.7%)
While sleeping my aluminum foil cap shifted and I heard CHDK in a dream.
9 (5.6%)
While researching Powershot cameras CHDK kept showing up.
31 (19.1%)
I bought a camera starter-kit with a coupon for free CHDK in it.
1 (0.6%)
I was really drunk, we started playing truth or dare, and, well ...
3 (1.9%)
I read about it in a regular magazine (I'm old fashioned that way).
6 (3.7%)
My regular cult ran out of things to worship, we voted on CHDK.
2 (1.2%)
My local TV station mentioned it in a "New Gadgets" segment.
0 (0%)
My employer told me I'd better learn CHDK or find another job.
0 (0%)
An amazing time-lapse video on YouTube mentioned using CHDK.
9 (5.6%)
My programming class instructor showed us CHDK and said, "Beat THIS!"
1 (0.6%)
There were no cameras capable for my science research needs.
5 (3.1%)
CHDK? You people are slow. I still have the original RAW hack!
5 (3.1%)
Can you believe they talked about it on my favorite Radio station? Of all places.
0 (0%)
I called Canon Tech Support asking for a feature I wanted/needed, they referred me here.
5 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 114

POLL: How did you find out about CHDK?

• 25 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: POLL: How did you find out about CHDK?
« Reply #10 on: 12 / February / 2008, 21:12:50 »
Advertisements
maybe sticky that thread? and while ur at it, you might as well sticky the media thread as well, though that somehow periodically should be cleaned and structured.

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #11 on: 13 / February / 2008, 09:15:49 »
Well I had to select "While sleeping my aluminum foil cap shifted and I heard CHDK in a dream".
It really fits best! I mean I thought of how nice it would be to "add" some progs to a cam like ...(CHDK SoftwareFeaturesList)
... or a small dictionnary for travelling
And one lazy saturday I searched the net for "porgramm my camara" and then "a710 hack".
Well, second one ends up with CHDK?

« Reply #12 on: 13 / February / 2008, 15:17:55 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:53:27 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #13 on: 20 / May / 2008, 13:16:08 »
One of the gadget blogs I read mentioned CHDK sometime last year. Since then I've seen it mentioned several times on different blogs I read. I was disappointed to find out there was no version for the A520 I owned. The other day I finally decided it was time to upgrade. CHDK compatability was a definite factor in my choice. Because of CHDK, I chose the A720IS over the A590. I had my memory card set up and ready before I got the camera - I've been waiting for months to be able to use CHDK.

« Reply #14 on: 02 / June / 2008, 10:29:31 »
I just search for hardware hacks and DIY on a regular basis,and must have stumpled upon it.
but i answered that my tinfoil hat shifted."it might have??"

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #15 on: 08 / June / 2008, 18:36:56 »
"While sleeping my aluminum foil cap shifted and I heard CHDK in a dream."
Exactly how it happened with me :D Must've been sleeping under the sun or something :D

Hehe I love this poll. It made my day :) Some of these reasons are so funny ^-^

But really how I found CHDK was while searching for cameras.
I had an extra $300, and I decided..hmm my Kodak Z760 is getting old. Can't zoom far enough, horrible video quality, it served me well, but after 1.5 years, everything gets old. Soo...I decided to buy another Kodak. At that time, the Z1012 IS was the hot new camera. I decided that was the one I was going to get. Read up tons of reviews on its predecessors (Z812 IS). It seemed great.

But then, the day I was going to buy the Z1012, I decided to search for the best cams under $300, and the S5 was one of them. I instantly fell in love with it. Then I had to choose...which one would it be the S5 or the Z1012. Well the Z1012 is 10MP...has HD video...seemed better than the S5. However the S5 had excellent reviews, the pictures looked better...plus Canon is a better known camera. So I was stuck. I was frantically searching for reviews on both cameras. Must've gotten the first 100 links on google for both cams! And somewhere in those links, I saw a post about CHDK. It said it allowed to shoot in RAW. I thought that was great bonus. Later I went to the site, and saw a few more features. I was a bit sceptical...all of that on a Canon camera. The article only said it can shoot RAW.

But then, I decided to buy the S5. BEST DECISION EVER. The day I got my S5, I installed CHDK on it (after about an hour of searching how to do it, and borrowing my friend's card reader). I loved CHDK :D I was amazed at it's features. The Battery Indicated, Zebra Mode, they help so much when shooting!

Well that's pretty much my story!
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline madcat

• ixus 860 black
« Reply #16 on: 18 / September / 2008, 13:59:03 »
Accidently read an article on iXBT.com

« Reply #17 on: 28 / July / 2009, 19:36:59 »
I found CHDK through Wikipedia. I was reading up on the different camera models Canon makes. At first I used the CHDK website as a convenient way to learn about features, and to read the reviews linked to. Soon I found myself browsing images of lightning taken with the motion detection script, and of water drops at ultra fast shutter speeds. At this point I decided to buy a CHDK supported camera. I ended up buying an A1000IS, mainly due to its partially ported status. Being able to use AA batteries and an optical view finder are a definite plus.

« Reply #18 on: 20 / October / 2009, 16:26:22 »
One of my very very bad colleagues did it to me. He was talking about his EOS 5D and how he did some toying with a TS-E lens. And when we talked about bracketing and Scheimpflug then somehow he mentioned CHDK. By the way: I want his toys.
EOS 70D, EOS 7DMkII

« Reply #19 on: 23 / October / 2009, 10:33:26 »
Found it when doing a search on firmware for my SX10is...  OMG!  Now I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Absolutely Fantastic!