chdkptp - alternative ptp client - page 78 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

chdkptp - alternative ptp client

• 1106 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: alternative ptp client
« Reply #770 on: 14 / February / 2015, 15:34:06 »
Advertisements
Hi everybody,

I've recently installed CHDK again on my A610 after a long time and came across new features like your remote control/live view program.

After installing the necessary USB driver, when I hit the "connect" button in CHDK PTP, it says: "Error: Operation not supported".

Does this mean that my A610 is incompatible with remote shooting/live view, or did I just do something wrong?
This would not be be caused by incomplete live view support.

Operation not supported sounds like CHDK isn't actually running. Did you set up autoboot and verify the CHDK splash screen shows when you turn on the camera?

It could also happen if you were trying to connect to the wrong device, but this should be unlikely if you are using windows, since only libusb devices would be available.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #771 on: 14 / February / 2015, 16:19:32 »
Oh you're right... I did load it manually and didn't know that this would be a problem (but it makes sense if you think about it). After making the card bootable it works like a charm on my good old A610.
Thank you very much!

Offline muttley

• + pilu x tutti!
    • A550 Porting
« Reply #772 on: 21 / March / 2015, 18:30:33 »
It's a lot of time that didn't use chdk...I don't know why, but today I have re-installed it on my old Canon A550 :)

I have found your great app, but my Powershot doesn't switch in record mode.
« Last Edit: 21 / March / 2015, 18:54:38 by muttley »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #773 on: 21 / March / 2015, 19:07:24 »
I have found your great app, but my Powershot doesn't switch in record mode.
How did you try to switch, using chdkptp "rec" in the CLI or "rec" button in the GUI, or using the physical controls on the camera? Only the chdkptp commands are expected to work.

If the chdkptp commands don't work:
1) What operating system are you using?
2) Does the physical camera screen go black

On linux, it's quite common for interactions with the standard software to prevent the rec command from working. This can also happen on windows if you used the filter driver instead of the INF driver.

If it's none of these things, there may be a problem with the port.

Offline muttley

• + pilu x tutti!
    • A550 Porting
« Reply #774 on: 22 / March / 2015, 11:58:26 »
Hi reyalp,

I have tried to switch using the *rec* button on the gui and typing *rec* on execute input field, but I get:
ERROR: switch failed

I tried with Linux: 3.19.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 18 16:21:02 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
..and also under Windows 7

with the same result  :(

edit: the other stuff as *live*, files works good :)
« Last Edit: 22 / March / 2015, 12:19:19 by muttley »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #775 on: 22 / March / 2015, 14:07:49 »
I tried with Linux: 3.19.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 18 16:21:02 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
..and also under Windows 7
Under linux, it's quite likely that you will have problems with some other programs automatically accessing the camera on connect. There is some information in the "interactions with default software" section on https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/Install

Again
2) Does the physical camera screen go black
This would happen when you plug in the camera. If it happens, then you  almost certainly have the problem above.

In any case, this probably isn't your whole problem, because windows 7 generally doesn't have the same issue.

There is another problem some vxworks cams suffer from. Can you try the following in the chdkptp console
Code: [Select]
=set_levent_script_mode(1)
=set_levent_active(0x10a5,0)
=switch_mode_usb(1)
If this works, we can fix it in the CHDK code.

Offline muttley

• + pilu x tutti!
    • A550 Porting
« Reply #776 on: 22 / March / 2015, 14:20:03 »
There is another problem some vxworks cams suffer from. Can you try the following in the chdkptp console
Code: [Select]
=set_levent_script_mode(1)
=set_levent_active(0x10a5,0)
=switch_mode_usb(1)
If this works, we can fix it in the CHDK code.

yeahh! Works like a charm!!

Great!  :D

Offline reyalp

« Reply #777 on: 22 / March / 2015, 15:45:30 »
yeahh! Works like a charm!!
Thanks. I've checked in the fix for both 1.3 and 1.4. From autobuild 4110 and later, the 'rec' command should work.

Offline muttley

• + pilu x tutti!
    • A550 Porting
« Reply #778 on: 23 / March / 2015, 04:47:16 »
thanks! I'll update my Canon.

Do you know if can we use our Canon like a webcam (with something like video4linux and your app)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #779 on: 23 / March / 2015, 13:15:54 »
thanks! I'll update my Canon.
One thing to check is whether you can switch back to play mode. It may crash or disconnect.
Do you know if can we use our Canon like a webcam (with something like video4linux and your app)
There currently isn't a good way to do this. I think it could be done on linux with some relatively straightforward "glue" code that writes the live view to a modified version of one of the video4linux loopback drivers, but no one has written it yet. There are also some programs (IIRC ffmpeg is one) that can capture what appears in a window and use it as a video source.

You can use the cli to pipe the live feed to streaming video, but it's pretty hacky. See the discussion around http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6231.msg115402#msg115402