Switching to picture mode + directories not showing up - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Switching to picture mode + directories not showing up

• 3 Replies
Switching to picture mode + directories not showing up
« on: 01 / October / 2010, 13:00:56 »
Advertisements
Hi,
I have downloaded and installed CHDK on a card for a G9, 1.00D. First problem: it's a card with an adaptor, does not have a "lock" key and thus I have to start it using the alternative. It starts, no problem, but then how do I switch to picture mode to try and take a picture?
Second, I have been trying to test scripts, but when I try to start it from the menu it's empty. It shows up OK (two directories, TEST and another) from the computer, but there's nothing under that directory when seen from the machine. If I copy some file to that directory it does not show up either.
I'm using a Linux machine, and have checked if there was some special way of copying stuff, but I haven't found it.

Thanks for any help

JJ

Offline pixeldoc2000

• IXUS900Ti 1.00C, IXUS300HS 1.00D
    • pixel::doc homebase
Re: Switching to picture mode + directories not showing up
« Reply #1 on: 01 / October / 2010, 13:45:34 »
Hello,
i don't have G9 but maybe this will help you...

It starts, no problem, but then how do I switch to picture mode to try and take a picture?
I assume you tested the mode dial? Have you tried to press the shutter button?

I have been trying to test scripts, but when I try to start it from the menu it's empty. It shows up OK (two directories, TEST and another) from the computer, but there's nothing under that directory when seen from the machine. If I copy some file to that directory it does not show up either.
Did you use a "full" chdk build? Otherwise zip does not include script files and non scipt files will not show in script menu.
Example: g9-100x-0.9.9-953-full.zip
Look: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 01 / October / 2010, 18:24:19 »
Hi,
I have downloaded and installed CHDK on a card for a G9, 1.00D. First problem: it's a card with an adaptor, does not have a "lock" key and thus I have to start it using the alternative. It starts, no problem, but then how do I switch to picture mode to try and take a picture?
FWIW, you can get adapters with a lock.  Of course, you can probably get a 4gb full sized SDHC card for about the same price.
I'm using a Linux machine, and have checked if there was some special way of copying stuff, but I haven't found it.
No, there is nothing special you need to do, just a regular file copy. If you are using a multi-partition card (no need if you aren't autobooting, or the card is FAT16), scripts need to go on the main large partition, not the small one.

Depending on your configuration, not cleanly unmounting the card can cause changes to not show up.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 02 / October / 2010, 04:13:26 »
Thanks for the answers. The main problem seemed to be that, having created a card with two partitions, it wasn't clear which one it was using, since it wasn't actually booting from the bootable FAT16 partition; it seemed to like more the non-bootable fat-32, which was the one that contained an incomplete partition.
Now it's working, and I managed to run a lua evolutionary algorithm within it.