Any progress on making non-MF cameras scriptable? - Script Writing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Any progress on making non-MF cameras scriptable?

• 6 Replies
Any progress on making non-MF cameras scriptable?
« on: 05 / June / 2011, 11:25:29 »
Advertisements
Just checking to see if there is any way to make a non-MF camera have a scriptable focus.

Interestingly, get_focus comes back with a value, but set_focus doesn't apply the setting of course.

There doesn't appear to be a way to do so. Also, I've read about a CHDK menu option to allows a manual distance override, but I'm assuming that option is not present if your camera doesn't have manual focus, correct?

I would like to set a fixed focus in my little SD500 if possible.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline reyalp

Re: Any progress on making non-MF cameras scriptable?
« Reply #1 on: 05 / June / 2011, 18:07:33 »
There doesn't appear to be a way to do so. Also, I've read about a CHDK menu option to allows a manual distance override, but I'm assuming that option is not present if your camera doesn't have manual focus, correct?
Not correct. Subject distance override exists mostly to give manual focus capability to cameras that don't have it. However, it isn't functional on all cameras.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 05 / June / 2011, 18:13:31 »
Ah! I couldn't find it. Am I perhaps just looking for it in the wrong place? Where is it in the menu tree? Or, if my SD500 isn't compatible, is the option simply not present?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 05 / June / 2011, 19:17:24 »
http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk/platform/ixus700_sd500/platform_camera.h has
#undef  CAM_CAN_SD_OVERRIDE

which suggests it was never implemented for this camera. The original development thread for this camera may have more information on why.

If you are a programmer, you can look at other cameras which do have CAM_CAN_SD_OVERRIDE and not CAM_HAS_MANUAL_FOCUS, and try to implement the same for yours. Otherwise, you are out of luck unless someone else decides to do it.

« Reply #4 on: 06 / June / 2011, 12:08:28 »
Thanks for checking into this for me, but alas, no I'm no "c" programmer. Simple scripting is about as far as I go. To make it worse, I'm using the German version to take advantage of set_prop, which also isn't in the english version. So, I'd have to find a german programmer to do it ;)

I suppose I'm out of luck :(

-Mike

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 06 / June / 2011, 16:26:01 »
Thanks for checking into this for me, but alas, no I'm no "c" programmer. Simple scripting is about as far as I go. To make it worse, I'm using the German version to take advantage of set_prop, which also isn't in the english version.
??? All CHDK has set_prop. Maybe you mean the set_config stuff ?

So, I'd have to find a german programmer to do it ;)
Not really, changes like this are generally  applied to both. But you would have to find a programmer to work on it. I'll try to take a look at some point if no one else does, but it won't be quick...

« Reply #6 on: 07 / June / 2011, 09:21:42 »
That's alright. This project needs to be wrapped up in the next few weeks. I'll think of something else

-Mike