Help needed with installing CHDK on SX30 on 32GB card - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Help needed with installing CHDK on SX30 on 32GB card

• 4 Replies
Help needed with installing CHDK on SX30 on 32GB card
« on: 16 / May / 2018, 17:35:37 »
Advertisements
Hello, I already have a 2GB SD Card working on my SX30. I had no trouble installing CHDK on it with the stick method.

Now I am preparing a 32GB card for this camera. The Stick method failed. The step of "scan for SD card" says SD Card ??. So I tried the method 2 under bootable card method for cameras after 2010. I downloaded complete build 1.4.1 for SX30 firmware 100L for my camera, unpacked it directly to the SD card. Then with card still unlocked put the card in camera, go to "firmware update" and update. Then in the ALT menu I go to "make card bootable" and clicking on set button shows the little window saying "finished   OK". So far so good. With the card still unlocked, I am able to run CHDK. But if I lock the card and then put it in the camera, then camera says card is locked and does not start CHDK. So, I am assuming that the step of "making card bootable" is not working right.

Please help with the next step. Thanks.

Offline reyalp

Re: Help needed with installing CHDK on SX30 on 32GB card
« Reply #1 on: 16 / May / 2018, 23:01:40 »
SX30 was released in 2010, so the "cameras after 2010" instructions do not apply. For these cameras, you need set up multiple partitions to boot CHDK on cards larger than 4 GB.

You are probably better off trying to figure out why stick didn't work than setting this up manually. You could also try the CHIMP utility.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 17 / May / 2018, 06:00:54 »
I agree with Reyalp that figuring out why STICK didn't work (or better, using CHIMP) is your next step. It's also worth pointing out that unless you are using a Mac, Linux, or the latest version of Windows 10, using a card with 2 partitions is a pain - you have to keep switching the active partition (which must be the small FAT16 one to boot CHDK but must be the large FAT32 one in order to transfer photos to your computer). Like OSX and Linux, Windows 10 now lets you see both partitions, but earlier versions only show the active one.

The most common STICK problem is not giving it permission to read and write to the card (required these days for security reasons). The STICK webpage tells you how to do that.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 17 / May / 2018, 14:43:20 »
Thank you very much. I thought I will try the CHIMP. I downloaded the V0.9.5. However I did not find instructions on how to use it. There are many files and folders in the extracted CHIMP folder. The chimp.exe did not work. Please guide me on how to use it or point to a link. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 17 / May / 2018, 15:40:58 by ju1234 »

« Reply #4 on: 18 / May / 2018, 12:15:17 »
Out of whole bunch of files present in the Chimp download extracted files, there is one named CHIMP.exe. I am assuming that this is the one that should run the program. Double clicking that file opens a window saying "the application requires one of the following versions of .net framework. Answering that "yes" takes me to web page to download the net framework. I have tried it 3 times. Each time the install process ends in "installation failed".

Is there any thing I can do? Thanks.