does adding CHDK onto Powershot a650IS allow you to zoom in/out while recording - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

does adding CHDK onto Powershot a650IS allow you to zoom in/out while recording

• 3 Replies
Advertisements
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, trying to add the CHDK onto my new Powershot a650is because I want to be able to zoom in and out while recording video, the older models like the a550 allow that but for some reason I think canon stopped it with the A650IS. is it at all possible? Thanks for the help in advanced!

Offline reyalp

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, trying to add the CHDK onto my new Powershot a650is because I want to be able to zoom in and out while recording video, the older models like the a550 allow that but for some reason I think canon stopped it with the A650IS. is it at all possible? Thanks for the help in advanced!
From the source, it looks like CHDK should support unlocking optical zoom in video on this cam, but I don't see anything specifically confirming that it works. Try it and report back
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Okay, I am having issues loading it onto the SD card that is 4GB, FAT32. Current firmware is 1.0.0.0 no letter comes up after that, it's older than 2010, roughly 2007 I believe. Can't seem to even get the menu option 'firm update' to show up. Is it because of the FAT32 SD card? Thanks for all the help. Sorry for the millions of questions  :'(

Offline reyalp

Okay, I am having issues loading it onto the SD card that is 4GB, FAT32. Current firmware is 1.0.0.0 no letter comes up after that, it's older than 2010, roughly 2007 I believe.
Note this isn't firmware version you need to find for CHDK (the right one will look like 1.00D) but I believe 100d is only one known firmware version of A650 we've seen since 2007, so in all probability that's what your camera has. You can go to https://build.chdk.photos/#build=trunk and drop an image form the camera on the "Find Build by Image" area to confirm the version.

Can't seem to even get the menu option 'firm update' to show up. Is it because of the FAT32 SD card? Thanks for all the help.
How are you preparing the card?

A650 will not boot from an FAT32 card, but you should be able to load manually with "firm update" if you start the camera in playback mode. Make sure the switch on the back is set to "play" before powering on the camera, and scroll all the way to the bottom of the first page of the setting menu.

If that isn't it, there are also other things which can cause "firm update" not to appear, particularly if you prepared the card using a Mac.

That said, if you end up wanting to actually use CHDK, you almost certainly want to autoboot rather than going through "firm update" every time you start the camera. You can format a 4 GB card FAT16, but you must force a 64K cluster size, which may require 3rd party tools or command line on Windows. Possibly you can still do it using disk management as described on https://classic.dizzy.co.za/sdhc_fat16.asp, it's been a very long time since I've needed to format a 4gb card.

Sorry for the millions of questions  :'(
No problem at all.
Don't forget what the H stands for.