G11 porting - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

G11 porting

• 530 Replies
G11 porting
« on: 24 / December / 2009, 14:13:42 »
Advertisements
thinking about starting the effort. do we have a firmware dump yet?

Offline reyalp

Re: G11 porting
« Reply #1 on: 24 / December / 2009, 16:45:15 »
No. This is almost certainly one of the newer cameras that needs differently encoded diskboot, and will need to be blinked or used a modified udumper.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 25 / December / 2009, 09:48:59 »
« Last Edit: 25 / December / 2009, 09:55:54 by kingcang »

« Reply #3 on: 25 / December / 2009, 10:36:45 »
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_support_of_a_new_camera

kingcang - any experience with this sort of endeavor?

« Reply #4 on: 25 / December / 2009, 13:42:31 »
« Last Edit: 25 / December / 2009, 15:50:43 by kingcang »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 25 / December / 2009, 17:25:10 »
Which way does the udumper have to be modified?
It needs to be modified in the way that makes it work :)
- you need the correct encoding of diskboot. This is probably one of the new dryos encodings. See tools/dancingbits.c in the CHDK source. You can determine if your encoding is correct with an LED, which you need to find first, by poking likely MMIO addresses. You can either try every diskboot encoding, or use and FI2 file.
- you need to find the WriteSDCard function. Looking at the WriteSDCard function of other "new" (Dryos 2.3R39 = ixus200, sx20 ...) cameras should allow you to do this. Note that I'm just guessing that the G11 falls in this group, it might be one of the earlier ones that just has a different diskboot encoding but doesn't use the newest dryos.
- you may need to particular bits of memory zeroed / not zeroed for WriteSDCard to work.
Note that Radup reported that he couldn't get WriteSDCard to work at all on ixus200/sd980. This may mean it is impossible to make it work, or he had the wrong function or there's something else that needs to be adjusted.

« Reply #6 on: 25 / December / 2009, 18:30:56 »

- You can either try every diskboot encoding, or use and FI2 file.

Sure. How many diskboot encodings are out there and where to download them all at once? Please tell me what you mean by "FI2 file".

- you need to find the WriteSDCard function...

HOW exactly? Boy, do I have to pull everything out of your nose?  :P

-kingcang

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 25 / December / 2009, 19:32:43 »
Sure. How many diskboot encodings are out there and where to download them all at once? Please tell me what you mean by "FI2 file".
As I said, the known diskboot encodings are listed in tools/dancingbits.c

An FI2 file is a firmware update file. This is actually just another executable which is encoded yet another style of encoding. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2995.0.html which is the 3rd result if you search the forum for FI2.

The G11 *probably* uses the digic 4 encoding.

You should find useful hints in the sx20 and ixus200/sd980 porting threads.
- you need to find the WriteSDCard function...
HOW exactly?
Using code, like udumper currently does. The code needs to do something that works on new style cameras. If this doesn't make sense, you need to study udumper until it does. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Udumper for some useful links. Refer to the Ixus200 and sx20 dumps for examples of new style (but as I said, we don't even know for sure G11 is this style)
Boy, do I have to pull everything out of your nose?  :P
I was going to stop at "make it work", but in the spirit of the season, I thought I'd be nice and give you a few hints. :xmas

You need to have a realistic understanding of what this task requires: You need to know C (more than just "hello world"!) and assembler, and you need to be able to figure things out yourself. If someone could just tell you what needs to be done, they would have done themself already.

« Reply #8 on: 25 / December / 2009, 20:16:13 »
« Last Edit: 25 / December / 2009, 20:22:26 by kingcang »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 25 / December / 2009, 20:48:44 »