Hide images on T3i - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Hide images on T3i

• 3 Replies
Hide images on T3i
« on: 09 / October / 2016, 11:04:17 »
Advertisements
Hello everybody, I have been using chdk for some time now.
I don't know if this is the place to post this. So if it is not, I am sorry, please move to the right section.
Next year I am planning a trip to a very restrict country (I won't say the name of the place, and I would really appreciate  if you guy not try to guess, so it won't fall on their search.)
So, I know that they inspect everybody's camera everyday, multiple times a day.
I have been thinking about how to pass that restriction. One of the things that happened to me is that I can try to hide a copy of each picture inside my card.
Is there a way to do that? What would be required to do that? Thanks in advance.

Re: Hide images on T3i
« Reply #1 on: 09 / October / 2016, 11:20:16 »
Just an FYI .. CHDK won't run on a T3i.   You might try posting over on the Magic Lantern site - it's devoted to Canon DSLR's like yours.

Meanwhile, I guess you'd have to know how "they" inspect cameras.  If they just look at image in the camera's review mode, then renaming the JPG files on the card temporarily to something else would defeat that review.  With a CHDK equipped camera,  a simple script or source code modification could do that for you after each shot or selectively, depending on how fancy you want to be.

And if you wanted to get even more fancy,  you could pseudo-encrypt the image file by doing something trivial like XOR on each byte so that even if they pulled the image off the card with a card reader,  they would not be able to open it.

But I have to ask myself why you would want to do this?  The penalty for getting caught would certainly not be very nice.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 09 / October / 2016, 11:32:44 »
They inspect on the camera, and erase. So it got be fully automatic. But i like the idea of auto-encryption. Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 09 / October / 2016, 11:35:30 »
They inspect on the camera, and erase. So it got be fully automatic.
Well,  if you use a Canon P&S camera,  and have CHDK loaded with RAW/DNG enabled, then when they erase the JPG file you will still have the RAW/DNG image "hidden" safely away on your SD card. They won't be able to see those from the camera LCD interface.  No script or custom programming required.

Edit : FWIW,  you can also turn off the CHDK splash screen that pops up when the camera starts,  as well as all the CHDK OSD icons,  for a more complete "stealth" mode.
« Last Edit: 09 / October / 2016, 11:59:33 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16