General EOS 40D development discussion - page 4 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

General EOS 40D development discussion

• 169 Replies
Re: General EOS 40D development discussion
« Reply #30 on: 14 / September / 2008, 19:57:03 »
Advertisements
hey dataghost do you have anymore test footage ? thanks

« Reply #31 on: 14 / September / 2008, 22:57:54 »
If you may consider adding TRAP FOCUS function it would be great. Nikons have that, don't know why Canon doesn't support this idea (AFAIK they used to support it). it's great for macro, wildlife, street, sports and many more.
Please think of TRAP FOCUS:) 

By the way I came across this wacky method of achieving this with the Canon SLR's as is:
EOS Documentation Project - Almost Trap Focus
I've tested it with my 5D and it works well, albeit with a bit of fiddling...

« Reply #32 on: 14 / September / 2008, 23:33:08 »
Gday all. Ive got a 40D and a 20D, and have modded a T-90 to leave the film tail out (wrecked 1 in the process, need to learn how to use a soldering iron properly:D ). I'm willing to help with whatever as long as there's only a kinda small risk it will wreck my camera, as Im kinda poor.

Also I am very interested in possibly using my 40D to record movies. Even if it cant be used to record to the CF card, how did DataGhost record that feed? I dont know [admin: avoid swearing please] about all this, but I would guess recording the live view feed straight from the display EOS Capture provides?
Thanks, tom

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #33 on: 15 / September / 2008, 01:09:01 »
I missed a few of the obvious steps recording the movie, resulting in quite a few people arguing that it's fake and that I used the tv-out cable to do the recording. I'll probably record another video today, with the proper aspect ratio and the proper camera angles shown.

« Reply #34 on: 15 / September / 2008, 05:29:26 »
Dataghost, my warm support to your work, thanks so much!
I think the main risk of this project is to work on too many different functions, of course needed or dreamed by someone, but it should be enough to make an affordable upgrade with most useful "new" function, really useful for quite everybody. Personally i don't like to have video on a 40D, but it seems many users like to have it.....
In fact, i prefere few new more basic functions in a working firmware upgrade ready for beta testing in a couple of months than a growing waves of requests for an impossible (and not working) upgrade to a dreamed Frankenstine (senior) camera...

Here's my (basic) requests:

- choice from actual low res pictures  and a new high res preview on LCD (even if slower)
- more customizable basic zones positions
- re-customisation of C1,C2,C3, more user-friendly
- AEB to 9 shots
- Auto ISO from 50 to 1600 ISO
- Contrast detect focusing (if possible)
- Interval timer shooting
- 4s timer

I'm not a programmer, i cannot give a tech help, but i strongly support this project!
Clint

« Reply #35 on: 15 / September / 2008, 06:11:06 »
I missed a few of the obvious steps recording the movie, resulting in quite a few people arguing that it's fake and that I used the tv-out cable to do the recording. I'll probably record another video today, with the proper aspect ratio and the proper camera angles shown.

Would be cool to see more samples of those. Is it HD and 24p ? thanks time to sell my 400d Thanks !!!

« Reply #36 on: 15 / September / 2008, 07:53:07 »
I own a 40D and I'm absolutely happy to help out when I can

« Reply #37 on: 15 / September / 2008, 10:31:34 »
A higher rez preview image would be greatly appreciated on the 40D.  I think the problem was 'fixed' on the 450D and judging by comments elsewhere, it should be on the 50D also.

« Reply #38 on: 15 / September / 2008, 10:42:39 »
@DataGhost
you find method, how run firmware over .fir file?
on my 400d i can start firmware only from autoexec.bin.

P.S. my last datebase http://seklth.ru/chdk/400D_E4KR3111_FF810000_20080904.rar
you know tool for quickly getting signatures from database? =)

So if I use your FW I'll be able to use my 40D to record video too??

« Reply #39 on: 17 / September / 2008, 02:36:30 »
Thanks to Seklth

Some secret functions of 400D

1. Press 'jump', do not release.
2. Press 'trash', do not release.
3. Power on camera.

You`l get some option to change.

Maybe it is 'USB CONNECT TYPE MODE'. But what does it mean?
« Last Edit: 17 / September / 2008, 08:19:01 by sbars »