Grids : issues and challenges - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Grids : issues and challenges

• 5 Replies
Grids : issues and challenges
« on: 03 / September / 2017, 16:48:23 »
Advertisements
I suspect it has been a long time since anyone has looked at the grid code.  While working with an ixus300_sd4000 I learned that grids do not display correctly on widescreen displays.  As mentioned here, with digic6 cameras it gets even worse.

While it should be easy to automatically rescale the current grid files "on the fly" so that they can adust to different display widths & heights on non-digic6 cameras,  I expect that a patch to do so would not be accepted as it would not solve the digic6 problem?

So in the meantime, I simply edited the existing grid files to work better on wide displays like the ixus300 and it's brothers.  Zip file attached - copy the .gid files to your SD cards's A/CHDK/GRIDS folder (you might want to delete the existing grid files first).  This is not a great solution as you will have to reinstall these files each time you update CHDK (depending on whether you copy the files using the same filenames as the existing .gid files or not).

There are other mysteries.

First of all,  the @title entry in each grid file seems to be ignored.  There is code to transfer the current grid's @title text to the CHDK Grid menu but it gets overwritten by the grid's filename afterwards.  I've fixed that and have a patch file but I ran into another problem.  Crashing (ROMLOG.LOG attached)

I had problems with grids when I was doing the A1200 port. There were issues with camera crashes when using grids.  I never did really solve that but I can now reproduce the issue on all of my other cameras reliably. 

To do so, go to the grid menu but do not enable grids.  Then try loading some grid files - loading larger ones seem to cause the crash more quickly than smaller ones.   And if you have grids enable, the crash does not happen.

Obviously, this looks like some kind of initialization problem, or malloc/free issue?  But grids are built as modules, so maybe there is an error in how the code was modularized?  I spent a couple hours playing but did not find anything obvious.

EDIT : fixed file extension for grid files ( .grd not .gid )
« Last Edit: 03 / September / 2017, 17:22:39 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline hwntw

Re: Grids : issues and challenges
« Reply #1 on: 03 / September / 2017, 17:58:41 »
Thanks, much appreciated, the xlsheet also. I did the Diagonal grid conversion. I noticed that the grid lines extend into the black side margins of the Ixus 300 display
Ixus 300HS S100

Windows 10

« Reply #2 on: 03 / September / 2017, 19:04:21 »
I noticed that the grid lines extend into the black side margins of the Ixus 300 display
Yea - I scaled everything up to go fully side-to-side.  That way if you switch to Wide mode in the Canon Func/Set shooting menu than the grids go all the way out to the edges.

I guess if I do any extensions to grids while fixing bugs and scaling then I could let you add a @center or @expand option to the files indicating how they should be displayed.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #3 on: 04 / September / 2017, 06:21:21 »
Independent of the other problems with the grid code there is a little nice online converter (provided by lukeanker) for different grid dimension. Maybe this helps for the moment.

=> http://www.c0ol.de/sx220/

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #4 on: 04 / September / 2017, 11:19:53 »
Independent of the other problems with the grid code there is a little nice online converter (provided by lukeanker) for different grid dimension. Maybe this helps for the moment.

=> http://www.c0ol.de/sx220/

msl
Nice.  It lets you shift a grid over to center it.  Some grids will look nicer that way than the scaled version I posted here.

« Reply #5 on: 04 / September / 2017, 11:26:15 »
I've fixed that and have a patch file but I ran into another problem.  Crashing
Figured this out.

Grids are built as a module.  The module stays loaded as long as Grids are enabled via the Show Grid Lines.   If the user tries to select a grid file via Load Grid from File... and grids are not enabled, the module sometimes unloads before the file load completes. 

Patch file posted.