Help SX30IS, can't get firmware version. - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Help SX30IS, can't get firmware version.

• 7 Replies
Help SX30IS, can't get firmware version.
« on: 23 / April / 2018, 22:53:35 »
Advertisements
Hello, I am trying to install CHDK to SX30IS. I have created the VER.REQ file in SD card (first I copied the file vers.req from another camera's sd card. but that did not work so I created one with Right click - create new - text file - renamed it ver.req.

Then I tried to check for firmware version. Holding the function/set button down + press Display button. It displays the time clock on the screen with clock running. Then I tried turn camera on from display button -- press & hold function / set button -- press display button. This turns the camera off.

Please tell me how I can find the version. Thanks.

Re: Help SX30IS, can't get firmware version.
« Reply #1 on: 23 / April / 2018, 23:05:07 »
Please tell me how I can find the version. Thanks.
Well, you certainly get 10 points for trying hard on this one.  I assume you are using some instructions or web page from 10 years ago though?

These days the easiest way to install CHDK now is to use either the STICK or CHIMP utilities.

Click on the links I just provided - STICK works for Linux/Apple/Windows while CHIMP is probably easier to use if you are on Windows.

This is all described on this web page : Prepare your SD Card, including the firmware discovery process you were trying to use.

Also,  if despite my lecture here, you really just want to know your camera's firmware version, there is always the ACID utility.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 24 / April / 2018, 00:22:28 »
Thank you. I got it.

« Reply #3 on: 24 / April / 2018, 15:43:47 »
Thanks every one.

New questions: I want to make two SD cards for same camera. After making one card, doing various settings in the CHDK menu, installing various scripts:

1. I suppose I have to install CHDK on the second card too. I can't just copy one card to other. Right?
2. After I have installed CHDK on second card, can I copy the CHDK folder from first card to the second card so the scripts & lualibrary files that I have installed on first card will be just copied to the second? (or copy everything on one card to the other). Which one will also copy the CHDK settings?
3. I have saved various lualibrary files on my PC in a lualibrary folder. Is it ok to copy any and all LUA files to lualibrary on any SD card even though I may not have the relevant script on that SD card? Does presence of a lua file interfere with performance of others?
Thnaks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 24 / April / 2018, 16:53:49 »
1. I suppose I have to install CHDK on the second card too. I can't just copy one card to other. Right?
Each needs to be prepared once to make it bootable. After that, you can copy between cards.

With old cameras like SX30 (released before 2011), there's additional complication if you use cards larger than 4 GB. These cameras require multiple partitions to boot, and your PC may only "see" one partition at a time. If this is confusing, I'd suggest using cards of 4 GB or less for these cameras.
2. After I have installed CHDK on second card, can I copy the CHDK folder from first card to the second card so the scripts & lualibrary files that I have installed on first card will be just copied to the second? (or copy everything on one card to the other). Which one will also copy the CHDK settings?
Copying the .CFG files in the CHDK folder should be enough to copy the settings, but copying the whole folder (or card) will ensure you get all the scripts and script settings too.

3. I have saved various lualibrary files on my PC in a lualibrary folder. Is it ok to copy any and all LUA files to lualibrary on any SD card even though I may not have the relevant script on that SD card? Does presence of a lua file interfere with performance of others?
No impact on performance, they will just take up a very small amount of storage on the card, probably much less than a single jpeg.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 25 / April / 2018, 08:48:19 »
So if a  32GB card is used, with just 1 partition created, will the camera see the whole 32GB and use the entire 32GB for storage of photos?

« Reply #6 on: 25 / April / 2018, 09:22:29 »
Sorry, i wrote the last reply without reading the instructions in the manual.

In the manual, under prepare your SD card" for cameras "released before 2011", method 1 the STICK utility method, does not specify whether it is for cards of 4GB or larger. Will this utility automatically create 2 partitions on 32GB card and install CHDK to the appropriate partition? Or should I just use "method 3" to prepare a 32GB card? Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: 25 / April / 2018, 10:53:55 »
Will this utility automatically create 2 partitions on 32GB card and install CHDK to the appropriate partition?
Yes.  Or at least it's supposed to AFAIK.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16