SX10IS , f/w 1.03A, DNG Crashing / badpixel.bin empty - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX10IS , f/w 1.03A, DNG Crashing / badpixel.bin empty

• 8 Replies
SX10IS , f/w 1.03A, DNG Crashing / badpixel.bin empty
« on: 18 / July / 2011, 20:10:08 »
Advertisements
As the title says, I have a SX10IS with the 1.03A firmware. CHDK works wonderfully in 99% of circumstances - unfortunately, the remaining 1% is a problem with shooting in DNG. As a baseline, this afternoon I started with a freshly formatted 4GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC card (FAT16, BOOTABLE), with the daily autobuild (1240) loaded. The only configuration change I have made is to enable 'Save RAW' under Menu > RAW Parameters. So far so good - the camera captures the JPG and the CRW files fine.

Now, when I go to enable 'DNG format' and 'DNG File Extension', it prompts (as expected) to create the badpixel.bin. I run 'Create badpixel.bin' and get result: 0 bad pixels, and a 0 byte badpixel.bin. 'DNG Format' prompts again to create badpixel.bin, even though the file exists. Running show_bad_b.exe on a CRW similarly results in a 0 byte badpixel.bin, and enabling 'DNG Format' likewise still prompts for creating badpixel.bin.

Reading through the SX10IS port thread, I found a mention of someone having a similar problem, and being able to manually edit badpixel.bin to contain 4 zeros, '0000', resulting in a 4 byte badpixel.bin. Success! Or so I thought. CHDK allows me to enable 'DNG Format' now, but as soon as I try to take a picture - bam, the camera instantly powers off.

I've tried these steps now with both the SD locked, boot-straight-to-CHDK mode as well as the SD unlocked manual Firmware Update --> CHDK mode. I have also tried with 'RAW buffer cached' both enabled and disabled.

Hopefully someone has an idea of something else I can try! I've been shooting quite a bit over the last year with standard CHDK RAW output, but I'd really like to be able to ditch the dng4ps part of my workflow - and also, re-white balancing everything manually.

Thanks!

Offline reyalp

Re: SX10IS , f/w 1.03A, DNG Crashing / badpixel.bin empty
« Reply #1 on: 19 / July / 2011, 02:03:52 »
Did you put the letter '0' in your badpixel.bin, or the binary value 0 ? You'd want the latter, if you are going to do that.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 19 / July / 2011, 06:50:00 »
It was the number zero, four times.

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #3 on: 19 / July / 2011, 09:24:43 »
...CHDK works wonderfully in 99% of circumstances...this afternoon I started with a freshly formatted 4GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC card...I run 'Create badpixel.bin' and get result: 0 bad pixels, and a 0 byte badpixel.bin...'DNG Format' prompts again to create badpixel.bin, even though the file exists...but as soon as I try to take a picture - bam, the camera instantly powers off...
I'm not able to determine clearly if you have been successful with a previous build & 'badpixel.bin' that worked with your camera. If you were successful, then you might want to try copying the 'badpixel.bin' file from an older card to the new card and test if you are able to shoot DNG photos without the camera powering off.

« Reply #4 on: 19 / July / 2011, 16:34:05 »
SkyWalker9,

I was not successful in any previous build. I had build #960 previously, which had support for DNG but exhibited the exact same symptoms, using badpixel.lua to try to generate. I was hoping that the new build (a year later) had resolved whatever the issue was.

I've been shooting straight CHDK RAW + JPG

Thanks!

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #5 on: 20 / July / 2011, 19:48:20 »
SkyWalker9,

I was not successful in any previous build. I had build #960 previously, which had support for DNG but exhibited the exact same symptoms, using badpixel.lua to try to generate. I was hoping that the new build (a year later) had resolved whatever the issue was.

I've been shooting straight CHDK RAW + JPG

Thanks!
It helps knowing that you weren't successful before the new build - may be an issue that is a problem with the porting.

In older builds (before there was a "Create badpixel.bin" option), we used to run the "badpixel.lua" script that was located in the "CHDK/Scripts/Test" folder to create the "badpixel.bin" file. I don't know if the LUA script is present in your current builds or whether the "badpixel.bin" file it creates will work with your current build. Since the current  "badpixel.bin" file doesn't work, I'd delete it and if you have the "badpixel.lua" script I'd give it a try.

« Reply #6 on: 20 / July / 2011, 22:19:32 »
SkyWalker9,

I went ahead and gave that a shot - pretty much identical results, with a 0 byte badpixel.bin, and no DNG.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: 21 / July / 2011, 09:14:43 »
Attached is a badpixel.bin file with a single entry (at co-ordinate 0,0).
This worked for 'ThatOtherGuy' - may help others with the same problem.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #8 on: 21 / July / 2011, 09:22:25 »
Thanks philmoz!

Just in time for vacation, too!