500d development - page 22 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

500d development

• 2487 Replies

alins

Re: 500d development
« Reply #210 on: 16 / February / 2011, 13:32:48 »
Advertisements
Does the 2/15 VRAM adjustment allow the intervalometer to keep running without memory leaks now?

The intervalometer has a problem only when the camera is in manual mode. use AV mode for now (or whatever is your preferred non-manual mode) until i figure out why is misbehaving.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #211 on: 16 / February / 2011, 17:22:45 »
Coutts, To see install instructions look at http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/500D
The steps are basically to follow http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550d_install (Skip step 0 and use Chuchin's FIR file)

I used his FIR file. a while ago, and my camera will boot the firmware if I make the card bootable and have the autoexec.bin file on the card. So I don't have to touch the FIR file again, right?
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #212 on: 16 / February / 2011, 17:32:23 »
right.

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #213 on: 16 / February / 2011, 17:44:49 »
Alright, it all makes sense now, thanks for the clarification. Just for shits and giggles I emailed Canon's PR department a few weeks ago complaining (professionally) about the 500d being left out of much needed updates (like manual video controls). I got a repsonse from someone and they left me their extension to further discuss the issue over the phone. I'm calling him when he's back on Monday. What are the chances he'll make anything happen?? :lol:
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #214 on: 16 / February / 2011, 17:53:03 »
you know how it is: when everything else is gone there's still hope...and when hope dies we start hacking ML :)

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #215 on: 16 / February / 2011, 18:47:46 »
You guys are doing a great job with this, I can't thank all of you enough. I was using the CHDK stuff about 5 years ago before I bought a dslr, it's really cool to see the development in real time. I don't possess very much programming knowledge (aside from visual basic, but that won't help here), but I do use my T1i every day, so if there's anything I can help with, let me know.

I loaded up the latest build last night to check it out. It's coming a long it looks like. Any idea why the menu would flicker a lot when I had it up? Specifically more in video/live view mode while zebras were on (the zebras would flicker over the menu and stuff). Some of the menu text extends past the view of the screen too. I also noticed the HDR bracketing might not be working fully yet (not sure if anyone's started on that yet), it would take the shots, but it didn't look like it was adjusting the exposure more than 2 stops (even though it'd take more than 3 pictures).

how long until we have focus assist on the 500d? :D :D :D

keep up the great work guys!! I feel like a kid on christmas eve waiting!
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #216 on: 16 / February / 2011, 19:15:20 »
the menu flicker is a known issue. I consider it a minor issue for now (compare to others) so i didn't spend much time on it. I do plan on fixing that at some point

the HDR bracketing should be working fine, with one explanation: HDR bracketing works differently in different  modes. If you are in AV mode it will use exposure compensation which seems to be limited at 2 stops. If you use it in manual mode it will change the shutter speed so the sky is the limit.

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #217 on: 16 / February / 2011, 19:55:27 »
the menu flicker is a known issue. I consider it a minor issue for now (compare to others) so i didn't spend much time on it. I do plan on fixing that at some point

the HDR bracketing should be working fine, with one explanation: HDR bracketing works differently in different  modes. If you are in AV mode it will use exposure compensation which seems to be limited at 2 stops. If you use it in manual mode it will change the shutter speed so the sky is the limit.
I'm pretty sure I was probably in AV mode (that's what I'm in 99% of the time), so that makes sense. The menu flickering isn't a huge deal, I'd much rather have working features with a few quirks :D

Keep it up man! What exactly is the process with the whole porting thing? Basically take the code from another camera's ML build (550d) and change all of the memory locations to match the 500d?
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #218 on: 16 / February / 2011, 20:05:11 »
What exactly is the process with the whole porting thing? Basically take the code from another camera's ML build (550d) and change all of the memory locations to match the 500d?

so far 98% of the time yes, i'm reusing Alex's hard work. the other 2% (which takes the longest time) is finding the memory locations and figuring out why something doesn't work. like right now when i'm trying to figure out why the camera audio board doesn't work and what's wrong with the audio meters.

« Reply #219 on: 16 / February / 2011, 22:20:15 »
So i just realized, the 60D ML hacking has started way before the 500D but now, very quickly, we have wayy surpassed the 60D ML haha shows how much we love our 500Ds :)