Geotagging with external GPS data logger - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Geotagging with external GPS data logger

• 8 Replies

Offline vine

• A560
    • my chdk page
Geotagging with external GPS data logger
« on: 12 / May / 2008, 14:54:30 »
Advertisements
I am currently looking into geotagging photos (adding location data to photos, so they can be displayed on a map for example). If you are unfamiliar with the concept here is small example gallery I set up using the Google Maps API: Photos
For now I manually add the location data. However I already have a GPS receiver which has a built-in data logger (RoyalTek RBT-3000), so you don't need to carry anything else around with you. I was thinking that back on the PC I could take the log (nmea or other formats I can convert to: PCX, csv, gpx, kml) which pretty much saves where I have been at what time and combine it with the photos to automatically add the location information to them.
Here is my question now: Does software exist to do that already, or do I have to write it myself?
« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2008, 15:36:38 by vine »
my photo map

my chdk page with tutorials, scripts and more

>> finally back from vacation (was a bit longer than intended) <<

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Geotagging with external GPD data logger
« Reply #1 on: 12 / May / 2008, 14:58:42 »
googling "geotagging software" gave me plenty of links, but YMMV ...

wim

Offline vine

• A560
    • my chdk page
« Reply #2 on: 12 / May / 2008, 15:05:27 »
I just noticed I didn't post this in the subforum I intended to. Sorry :(
Should be moved to Lounge > General Chat
my photo map

« Reply #3 on: 12 / May / 2008, 15:14:57 »
I use Locr from locr - locate your photos it is free and very easy to use. U can use GPSBabel to convert the logget track file from your gps to nmea which locr uses.

Offline vine

• A560
    • my chdk page
« Reply #4 on: 12 / May / 2008, 15:21:09 »
Can I use the locr software without using their service (which I really don't want to do)?
my photo map

« Reply #5 on: 12 / May / 2008, 15:35:57 »
Yes you can.
The only problem is the RAW files, DNG4PS-2 does not import the GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude from the JPG, but according to the author of DNG4PS-2 (Artden) he will fix this in the near future.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: Geotagging with external GPS data logger
« Reply #6 on: 13 / May / 2008, 10:13:33 »
I use a perl app called gpsPhoto: Install Perl, ExifTool & gpsPhoto in a MS Windows XP environment

You can batch geotag all your photos and it also add EXIF "country", "state", "location" by connecting with wikipedia or openStreetMap.

It reads several gps files, creates google earth (klm) file. Many many options: Interpolate several positions etc. A time offset in case your camera wasn't syncronized with the gps.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #7 on: 14 / May / 2008, 06:49:23 »
In the latest c't (08/11) I just read that Micro$oft also released a FREE geotagging tool.
Check it out here: www.microsoft.com/prophoto/ - click downloads

wim

edit: I just KNEW there had to be a catch - site mentions 'MS Live Local'  :
        (MS + Free = Windows Live = phone-homeware :D)
        but who knows, it might even work after a service pack or 2  ;)
« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2008, 06:58:33 by whim »

Offline zdravko

• [ S3 IS ]
« Reply #8 on: 14 / May / 2008, 08:36:28 »
I personally am using this freeware program: GeoSetter (GeoSetter for Windows)

In my opinion it is better than locr and has a lot of features. Supports GPS tracks saved in NMEA or GPX format. My GPS is configured to log a point every 15 seconds. When I return home, I am downloading the track, pointing the folder with the new photos, selecting them all and applying the GPS track (by default the tolerance is 300 seconds so usually all photos are assigned correct GPS coordinates). At this point GeoSetter asks if I want to save the changes and I say "No" - this is to check if all the pictures are tagged correctly. You can adjust the coordinates or add missing ones at this stage. Once you are ready, just close the application - it asks again to save the chages and this is the time I confirm with "Yes". This is my workflow with GeoSetter, give it a try, it is very good in what it does IMHO.

Regards,
Zdravko