What would you like to know about CHDK as a newbe if you obtain an interview?... - General Chat - CHDK Forum  

What would you like to know about CHDK as a newbe if you obtain an interview?...

• 14 Replies

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
Advertisements
What would you like to know about CHDK as a newbe if you obtain an interview from a developer? :)
I've got the preliminary list:

- what is CHDK?
- how does it work?
- how many people are working together on it?
- how safe is it? (can it hurt your camera?)
- any cool future features coming up?
- is CHDK in any way related to the famous "russian hack" of the 300D?

Any others? Suggestions?
CHDK Developer.

Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 09:57:08 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
"Why do you do this?"
My answer: "It's a fun." :)
CHDK Developer.

Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 09:57:30 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
question: who was the first person that started CHDK and how the hell did he come up with blinking a firmware. i mean, there must have been alot of initial work, right?

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
See, if it was me, if I was a CHDK programmer, I'd answer something like, "To tell the truth? Because I'm FED UP to HERE <grabbing crotch> with camera companies always leaving off some valuable feature that the camera should have had in the first place. I'm tired of them crippling perfectly fine cameras just so they can try to convince people to buy their more expensive cameras that do include that feature. I'm a photographer who needs an exceptional camera that will do what I need it to do!! I'm SICK TO DEATH of some damn pencil-pushing geek and useless bean-counter in the financial department designing my camera for me!!! I need a CAMERA! Not some greedy idiot's marketing plan! That's why I do it!!"

I'm partially agree with you. But, you are not a hacker/programmer. For me it's just a fun. I did not suppose to steal money from Canon pocket by working on CHDK. It's quite interesting as such what can do this small piece of plastic/metal/glass and software.

question: who was the first person that started CHDK and how the hell did he come up with blinking a firmware. i mean, there must have been alot of initial work, right?

The first person who started the CHDK was Vitaly (vitalyb). I even do not know where he is from (from Belarus, I guess; at least he speaks Russian). He blinked his first dump from A610 at the second half of '06 by analysis of firmware update for Ixus. Before that, he found a way how custom code can be loaded to and executed in a camera through "Firmware Update" menu just looking into a disassembled code. He is very skilled and experienced engineer ,because he was able to write a code for different cameras even if he do not have the camera for testing. And it became workable from the third try in the worst case, AFAIR.
The CHDK itself is the second generation of the hack. It was started at the end of '06. Before that there was just "RAW enabler" which allowed to save RAW files only.
CHDK Developer.

Offline e2b

What would you like to know about CHDK as a newbe if you obtain an interview from a developer? :)
- ... how many people are working together on it?
- ... any cool future features coming up?
- is CHDK in any way related to the famous "russian hack" of the 300D?
Any others? Suggestions?
Regarding questions specifically for developers, I would like to ask:
1. How do you pass on skills and knowledge to the next generation of developers?
   We are very lucky that most new camera releases seem to have found developers interested in porting CHDK, but Canon will keep producing new models and every developer will eventually find other more urgent things to do than port CHDK to a yet another camera!
2. Where do you think CHDK development will stop - or at what point will developers lose interest in CHDK and move on to other challenges?
   At its current stage of development CHDK gives access to hidden capabilities and turns the camera into a microcomputer, without affecting the firmware and warranty. In future, I suppose it would be possible to duplicate everything in the official Canon SDK, but that would displease Canon and the commercial developers who make money out of software.

- what is CHDK?
- how does it work?
GrAnd, your first two questions are very good ones, and not just for developers! I have found it rather difficult to explain to explain CHDK to people who don't already know what it does! Although the Wiki is now quite large, it is not immediately clear to a new reader just what CHDK is and does. How about the following for an attempt?

1. The short ("10-second") explanation is that CHDK is software, which is currently available free for many (but not all) Canon PowerShot compact digital cameras, that you can load onto your camera's memory card to give you camera greatly enhanced capabilities.

2. To help you decide if you want to know more about CHDK:
The enhanced capabilities that CHDK provides are most likely to be of interest to experienced photographers - if you consider that your Canon PowerShot camera already has more features than you will ever need, you probably won't be interested in CHDK.

3. CHDK is safe to use:
CHDK doesn't make any actual changes to your camera. If you delete the CHDK software from your memory card, or if you choose not to activate the CHDK software on the card, then the camera will behave absolutely normally - nothing has been (or ever is) changed, so the Canon warranty is not affected.

4. This is how CHDK works:
CHDK makes use of the microprocessor that controls the camera (every digital camera contains a microprocessor) to act as a programmable computer that provides the extra capabilities.

5. The current set of extra capabilities that CHDK provides fall into a number of categories:
   a. Enhanced ways for recording images - you can capture still pictures in RAW format (as well as JPEG), and for video images you can have increased recording time and length (1 hour or 2 GB), and a greatly increased range of compression options.
   b. Additional data displays on the LCD screen - histogram, battery life indicator, depth of focus, and many more.
   c. Some settings that are not available on the camera by itself - longer exposure times (up to 65 seconds), faster shutter speeds (1/20,000 sec, and faster in some cases), automatic bracketing of exposure, etc.
   d. The ability for the camera to run programs (which you can write in a version of the BASIC language) stored on the memory card - these programs allow you to set the camera to perform a sequence of operations under the control of the program, for example, it can be programmed to take multiple pictures, or take a picture when something in the field of view moves or changes brightness.
   e. The ability to take a picture, or start a program on the memory card, by sending a signal into the USB port - you can use the USB cable to take a picture remotely.
   f. The camera's microprocessor is also used to do a number of other more or less useful things, such as act as a mini file browser  for the memory card, let you play games on the LCD screen, etc.

6. Developers around the world are continuing to add new features to CHDK:
Since the idea of using the camera's microprocessor is so flexible, various developers have made different versions of CHDK, and new features continue to be developed - for example, one version of CHDK has features assist in taking stereo photographs, and even allows two cameras to be synchronized to take pictures at the same time (with an accuracy of around 0.1 milliseconds, providing they are the same camera model).

How would you as a developer explain CHDK?

Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 09:57:50 by Barney Fife »

Offline e2b

I'll have a go at putting it on the CHDK Wiki on the weekend - it can't be too difficult :)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
"Why do you do this?"
My answer: "It's a fun." :)

do you use CHDK for yourselves, are you in any kind of affiliated with professional photography or is it a hobby of yours (aside from coding obviously)? in another thread you wrote you also have extra lenses, so aside from CHDK you are fond of digital cameras, taking pictures and all that, right?
What i mean is, what did you bring to "here/CHDK" - the fun of coding/"hacking" or the possibility to shoot better pictures and generally enhance your photo-hobby?