Extended time lapse with Internet connection and power saving - page 13 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Extended time lapse with Internet connection and power saving

• 123 Replies
Re: Extended time lapse with Internet connection and power saving
« Reply #120 on: 09 / June / 2023, 02:44:48 »
Advertisements
Hi,

so my camera is up and running since yesterday.

Reyalp (and others), thank you a thousand times for all the help! I am really grateful!

I did have some problems regarding I/O error, still don't know exactly what is the cause for this error, since I installed arch linux on raspberry pi (no desktop).

One thing I noticed, if camera is doing something, for example, if I try to remoteshoot while physically zooming (with fingers of zoom button, yes, I've accidentaly done this), I/O error occurs.

Also, if I try to remoteshoot right after I connect to camera it also reports I/O error. Then I added some delay (3s), because I suspected the error occured because the camera was still reporting temerature readings. And voila, it worked.

Will report how the system behaves.
Out of topic question: Does Eos M series (M3 for example) supports chdk ptp? Because the next step would be adding new, upgraded camera  :D

Offline reyalp

« Reply #121 on: 09 / June / 2023, 03:57:04 »
I did have some problems regarding I/O error, still don't know exactly what is the cause for this error, since I installed arch linux on raspberry pi (no desktop).
IO error generally just means the connection went away (from the host's POV) so could have many different causes. The camera crashing is a common one. In the case, the camera will power off, and the ROMLOG https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_(romlog) may have some clues about the cause.

One thing I noticed, if camera is doing something, for example, if I try to remoteshoot while physically zooming (with fingers of zoom button, yes, I've accidentaly done this), I/O error occurs.
I'd suggest not doing that ;)

Also, if I try to remoteshoot right after I connect to camera it also reports I/O error. Then I added some delay (3s), because I suspected the error occured because the camera was still reporting temerature readings. And voila, it worked.
Seems odd to me that getting temperatures would cause this, but I'd need to see the actual code of sequence of commands involved to provide any insight.

Out of topic question: Does Eos M series (M3 for example) supports chdk ptp? Because the next step would be adding new, upgraded camera  :D
M3 should have full support. M10 has PTP support, but does not currently support remoteshoot, so files would have to be saved to SD and downloaded (or remoteshoot implemented)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #122 on: 20 / June / 2023, 12:45:07 »
So, the sistem was stable this week, I am super happy with the results!  :D

I'd suggest not doing that

Yeah, it was by accident  :-[

M3 should have full support. M10 has PTP support, but does not currently support remoteshoot, so files would have to be saved to SD and downloaded (or remoteshoot implemented)

I am seriously considering buying second camera for this, and I am torn between G1 x, G7 x II and Eos M3. G1X would be perfect, but it lacks megapixels. For this project, I was in a hurry, so my G11 camera (11MP) was ok to do this job. But he main reason I am doing this DIY timelapse, is to have raw pictures (freedom in post), ability to crop and have finished 4k resolution.
G7x has "small" sensor and is actually not that cheap on ebay. M3 is fine, but I also have to consider lens options (and price).

I don't mean this in a bad way, I know you guys dedicate your own free time for this, so thank you again for all the work, but are there any other high end cameras that support chdk ptp with remoteshoot? I doesn't need to have full chdk support ... Just want to be sure, before I buy something from ebay.

Thanks again!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #123 on: 20 / June / 2023, 14:05:22 »
I am seriously considering buying second camera for this, and I am torn between G1 x, G7 x II and Eos M3. G1X would be perfect, but it lacks megapixels. For this project, I was in a hurry, so my G11 camera (11MP) was ok to do this job. But he main reason I am doing this DIY timelapse, is to have raw pictures (freedom in post), ability to crop and have finished 4k resolution.
G7x has "small" sensor and is actually not that cheap on ebay. M3 is fine, but I also have to consider lens options (and price).

I don't mean this in a bad way, I know you guys dedicate your own free time for this, so thank you again for all the work, but are there any other high end cameras that support chdk ptp with remoteshoot? I doesn't need to have full chdk support ... Just want to be sure, before I buy something from ebay.
See https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Supported_Cameras for a full list of supported models

Others you could consider are G5 X and the original G7 X. While this sensor is smaller than the EOS cams, 1" / 20MP should still be a pretty big improvement over your G11. From an image quality perspective, the original G7 X should be quite similar to the mk2, so it might be an option if you find one cheap and aren't worried about shooting speed.

There is also a partial port for M100, but AFAIK it doesn't have remote shoot support and had some unresolved stability issues.

If you are a software developer with a bunch of time on your hands, G1 X mk2, EOS M5 and EOS M6 are other > 1" sensor cams which are potentially supportable. G1 X mk2 should be pretty easy since it's digic 6, M5 and M6 are both digic 7 cameras which would be significantly more challenging.

You might also look at magic lantern https://www.magiclantern.fm/ - It doesn't support chdkptp or CHDK scripts, and I don't know how difficult it would be (if possible at all) to do the same sort of tethered timelapse, but older EOS DSLRs would potentially give an affordable option with good image quality.
Don't forget what the H stands for.