ptpcam gui - page 10 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ptpcam gui

• 95 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: ptpcam gui
« Reply #90 on: 31 / August / 2013, 19:04:29 »
Advertisements
EUREKA! I discovered something very interesting.

So, I was fooling around with ptpCamGui and chdkptp at the same time. Going back and forth between the two programs and then I suddenly noticed something. I had started the ultimate.lua script with chdkptp, closed it and then opened ptpCamGui and suddenly I noticed that the script had stopped?!
This is probably a bad thing. There is currently no way to cleanly kill a script over PTP. I would guess ptpcamgui is simply starting it's own script without checking whether one is running. This will lead to memory corruption and crashing. Fixing is on the TODO list for 1.3.

As I explained in the other thread, you can make scripts that respond to messages sent over ptp.

Plugging and unplugging the USB cable will not kill a running script.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #91 on: 31 / August / 2013, 22:16:12 »
If you don't find a better solution, it should be possible to have the script detect that the camera has switched to playback mode and do something useful like sleep for a while and then switch itself back into shooting mode.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have had a look at your script but I just have too little knowledge on how to change it the way I need to.
Once you figure out what options work best for you,  I can help.  The idea for sending a "pause" message over ptp is interesting - I'd invest some time in playing with that if you want to give that a try.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline JvdP

« Reply #92 on: 01 / September / 2013, 06:47:23 »
Once you figure out what options work best for you,  I can help.  The idea for sending a "pause" message over ptp is interesting - I'd invest some time in playing with that if you want to give that a try.
I have decided to go for a periodical download of photos over USB and your ultimate.lua. For the moment I will be exploiting the "bug" that ptpcamgui has so I can stop the script remotely. I'm aware this is not a clean method but I've tested it many times now and it hasn't crashed anything yet.

If you are interested in making a remote "pause" or "kill" function, shall we do that in the dedicated ultimate thread?

« Reply #93 on: 05 / October / 2013, 11:40:21 »
I have decided to go for a periodical download of photos over USB and your ultimate.lua. For the moment I will be exploiting the "bug" that ptpcamgui has so I can stop the script remotely. I'm aware this is not a clean method but I've tested it many times now and it hasn't crashed anything yet.

Hi, sorry I am new to CHDK. I've downloaded ptpCamGui and have it working with me PowerShot A2200.

My goal is to take time laps photos over an indefinite period, downloading them to the computer once an hour. It sounds like you are trying to do something similar? Have you had any luck? Could you walk me through the steps?

Also, I seem to be getting an error in ptpCamGui when I press the download button: "It is an error encountered!" (presumably a bad German translation)

The console shows this:

>> luar get_mode() << script:10
10:ret:false (Length: 23)
>> luar require("lptpgui").dcimdl(false)

Any ideas?

Offline JvdP

« Reply #94 on: 05 / October / 2013, 11:54:22 »

Hi, sorry I am new to CHDK. I've downloaded ptpCamGui and have it working with me PowerShot A2200.

My goal is to take time laps photos over an indefinite period, downloading them to the computer once an hour. It sounds like you are trying to do something similar? Have you had any luck? Could you walk me through the steps?

Also, I seem to be getting an error in ptpCamGui when I press the download button: "It is an error encountered!" (presumably a bad German translation)

The console shows this:

Any ideas?
No, what I was trying to do was different. It sounds like you have a computer hooked up 100% of the time. I hadn't. If you are connected over USB indefinitely you can run everything over ptp.

I'm not sure about your error.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #95 on: 05 / October / 2013, 14:50:56 »
The console shows this:

Any ideas?
Check if lptpgui.lua is available on the sd card (CHDK/LUALIB). This is a helper library for some GUI functions. The GUI creates this file. Maybe there is an upload issue with the A2200.

The library is also required for the download function.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links