Camera choice for multi-camera rig - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Camera choice for multi-camera rig

• 6 Replies
Camera choice for multi-camera rig
« on: 19 / October / 2017, 01:48:01 »
Advertisements
Hi All,

I am trying to create a portable multi-camera rig using CHDK.
I am at the start and the biggest question for me now is which camera to use for my project.
The project should be very stable and not so expensive.
In your opinion, what is the best camera choice for me?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Camera choice for multi-camera rig
« Reply #1 on: 19 / October / 2017, 07:41:17 »
I am trying to create a portable multi-camera rig using CHDK.
How many cameras are you going to use? What are your cost budget expectations?

I am at the start and the biggest question for me now is which camera to use for my project.
Some other things to consider : Multiple Cameras using CHDK

The project should be very stable and not so expensive.
Most of CHDK is what I would call "stable".  But not "very stable" as it's a hack using undocumented reverse assembly code so there are occasional issues.  YMMV.

In your opinion, what is the best camera choice for me?
Now you come to the difficult question and I can only make some suggestions here.  Picking a model usually comes down to a question of your budget vs finding enough cameras of the same type supported by CHDK.

First of all, you will need a camera model that is supported by CHDK. That means you need a Canon Powershot.   And you almost surely want all of your cameras to be the same camera model unless you want to do a lot of post processing of each image.  But be aware that not every Powershot has a CHDK port available.

You should understand that CHDK ports for specific camera only happen when someone with the necessary skills, time, patience, and desire has access to that particular camera and creates the necessary code.  You need a unique version of CHDK for every camera model and firmware version.  You can't use the port for one camera in another no matter how much they physically look the same.  Even two different firmware version of the same camera model need different CHDK ports.

This means that CHDK is not available for every camera or even every firmware version of any particular cameras.  Although we mostly have complete coverage of each ported camera's firmware version there are no guarantees.

The best place to look for the information about the porting status is here :
CHDK : For Developers

Unfortunately, by the time CHDK gets ported for any camera model,  that model is usually no longer available for commercial sale.  And with everybody owning a smart phone these days, camera companies are not releasing many new small cameras. Which means you may have to buy your cameras used from places like eBay or the Shop USA Refurbished Powershot Digital Cameras

If you read through some of the Links posted here, you'll get some idea of cameras people have used sucessfully. If you are looking on eBay, a lot of the three digit A500 series of Powershots can usually be found for a low price  (e.g. A560, A570) and they would fit you lost cost & stable objectives. 

Sorry that I can't be more specific than that.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 23 / October / 2017, 10:03:47 »
How many cameras are you going to use? What are your cost budget expectations?
I don't know yet, I know what I am trying to achieve:
Smooth flow on about 150 angle, I gees depend on optics and rig diameter

If you read through some of the Links posted here, you'll get some idea of cameras people have used sucessfully. If you are looking on eBay, a lot of the three digit A500 series of Powershots can usually be found for a low price  (e.g. A560, A570) and they would fit you lost cost & stable objectives. 
I have looked at A570, Canon doesn't create them any more.
There are several A570 on Ebay and Amazon but I can't relay on it.
What supported camera can you sagest?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 23 / October / 2017, 13:31:10 »
What supported camera can you sagest?
If you want to buy a lot of cameras at once, your options are pretty limited. Look for the most recent cameras on CHDK supported list, and search for which ones are for sale at a price you can afford. Or pick a model that you can find a few examples of on ebay/amazon and keep buying them as they pop up.

You can find a list of cameras mostly ordered by release date at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/P-ID_(Table)
Note these are not all supported, but clicking on the wiki link will usually tell you if there's a port.

In the US, Canon's refurbished store is sometimes a good source
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras

though I don't see any cheap, supported cameras currently in stock. There is an in-progress port for elph180 https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13063.0
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 23 / October / 2017, 23:11:21 »

though I don't see any cheap, supported cameras currently in stock. There is an in-progress port for elph180 https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13063.0

I bought several of the Elph 160 a few months back. I didn't realize there was a port working for the 180, I did not see it in the list of supported cameras. The 180 is actually cheaper than the 160 on Amazon.

I bought the minimum number of cameras to get a portable rig going. Since the 160 is still a CHDK alpha release, is there any advantage to using that over the 180?

When I need more cameras, I would rather go with the 180  ....
« Last Edit: 23 / October / 2017, 23:14:21 by cdordoni »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 24 / October / 2017, 12:46:02 »
I bought the minimum number of cameras to get a portable rig going. Since the 160 is still a CHDK alpha release, is there any advantage to using that over the 180?
The elph160 is pretty mature at this point and should probably have the alpha label removed. I'm not sure what state the elph180 is in, but it much less mature and hasn't been added to CHDK SVN yet. It might work, but you'd definitely want to test before committing to a bunch of cameras.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 24 / October / 2017, 20:56:30 »
I'll get 180 to test before buying any more 160s. Hopefully mixing cameras is possible, have to test that as well.