Help - DC INPUT will turn off the camera during Time Lapse - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Help - DC INPUT will turn off the camera during Time Lapse

• 6 Replies
Advertisements
Hi Guys !

So I am using a velleman kit in order to transform AC or DC input into 0->12v DC output....!
It's pretty nice, and you can control the output voltage with a screwdriver.
So I put 3.15v, I checked with a multimeter... input is 12vDC from a external harddrive.

It's work pretty nice, battery is at 100%
But the damn camera will turn off during a time lapse.
I tried everything ( turn the camera -> OFF, in CHDK there is also an option, I tried every thing)

By the way, I tried on a 720IS, and a 490... same problems  :lol

Also the time is exactly the time you can set in setting -> LCD screen turn off in : 10s; 30s, 1 or 3 min.... there is no 0s !!!

Help !!
thanks !

C.

Re: Help - DC INPUT will turn off the camera during Time Lapse
« Reply #1 on: 31 / May / 2012, 18:44:03 »
Not sure which you are asking about but I think there is a setting in CHDK that says something to the effect  of "no power save" and you can set it to "alt" mode; i.e. the camera won't go into power save/auto off when CHDK is running (alt mode.)

Also...
Speaking for my camera (A590IS) I know when you plug in DC input the camera turns off.  I think this must be a function of how the camera is wired.  So if I want to take a timelapse with the DC input then I have to start the camera and adjust the settings with the DC input going from the start.

Not sure if this helps, but a couple ideas.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50

« Reply #3 on: 01 / June / 2012, 02:40:06 »
Maybe naive question: does camera really turn off? I mean isn't just turn off the screen?

If so then there might be a problem with not the voltage but current. Camera might need 1-2 A (my sx130). If the current is too low then even when battery meter says it's 100% (which is based on voltage) then camera can assume that "batteries" are low. All the logic the batteries logic applies to the power suply too.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #4 on: 01 / June / 2012, 13:36:04 »
Many thanks all.
I've finally found the solution... after checking all you told me, something came up.
The transistor heated a lot, so I have fixed a radiator on it and now the problem is solved !

The ref of the board is velleman 1823, but it support 1A max....
I am currently testing how long it works...

many thanks again.

edit : It seems that the LCD screen takes a lot of current....

« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2012, 13:49:24 by Siel »

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #5 on: 01 / June / 2012, 14:29:23 »
The ref of the board is velleman 1823, but it support 1A max....
I am currently testing how long it works...

Cooled LM317 can give output current 2A long time, of course you must have a good AC source for your device.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317.pdf
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2012, 14:31:25 by blackhole »

« Reply #6 on: 01 / June / 2012, 22:13:17 »
Search and you'll find more on the LCD thing.  But if you have the headphone type connector you can just cut the end of a old set of headphones and plug it in the jack.  This doesn't completely disable the LCD function but at least turns the screen off which saves some juice.  I can run my A590 on two L91 Energizers for probably 3-4 hours straight taking pictures as quick as it can.