Using CHDK to do focus bracketing in AF mode - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Using CHDK to do focus bracketing in AF mode

• 6 Replies

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
Using CHDK to do focus bracketing in AF mode
« on: 04 / March / 2012, 14:19:22 »
Advertisements
Hi everyone,

Some Canon models (such as my own, SX40) allow taking focus-bracketed shots around the focal length selected using MF. I personally use AF much more than MF, and often find, when looking at the pics I've taken, that the focus should have been a bit closer/further than the AF set it to be.

I was therefore wondering: can CHDK be used to shoot with focus bracketing even when the camera is in AF mode? I would have thought that this is what the "Subj Dist" override is for, under "Bracketing for continuous mode", however it does not seem to change the focal distance from shot to shot, so I'm guessing that, like the native focus bracketing feature, it's just for MF, which is unfortunate.

Many thanks for any help!

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
Re: Using CHDK to do focus bracketing in AF mode
« Reply #1 on: 06 / March / 2012, 17:33:30 »
Still haven't found an answer to that one, I'd really appreciate any help, many thanks in advance!

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
« Reply #2 on: 09 / March / 2012, 07:55:46 »
I was wondering, is there a different forum perhaps better suited to ask CHDK-related questions, as I don't seem to be getting any replies to my question (nor to my other one, related to overriding AutoISO in HQ Burst mode) on this forum... :(
« Last Edit: 09 / March / 2012, 07:58:32 by longtalker »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #3 on: 09 / March / 2012, 08:41:50 »
can CHDK be used to shoot with focus bracketing even when the camera is in AF mode? I would have thought that this is what the "Subj Dist" override is for, under "Bracketing for continuous mode", however it does not seem to change the focal distance from shot to shot
The "Brackting in continuous mode" should work in any mode also in AUTO mode.

Set the distance you want in the "Bracketing in continuous mode" menu with "Subj. Dist. Bracket Value", "Value Factor" an bracketing type (e.g. +/-), then use the camera's continuous or timer mode...
Don't set an SD override, this would always override the AF.
If bracketing is active, you'll see BRACKET: in red letters on the screen...

In AUTO mode, Bracketing starts with the subject distance from the AF

Use a noticeable distance for the settings, you should see the result in the images.

Since i don't own a SX40 i don't know whether there's an issue with this port...

« Reply #4 on: 09 / March / 2012, 08:46:30 »
I was wondering, is there a different forum perhaps better suited to ask CHDK-related questions,
If you find one, let us know ?

as I don't seem to be getting any replies to my question (nor to my other one, related to overriding AutoISO in HQ Burst mode) on this forum... :(
perhaps you are asking questions that nobody knows the answer to ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #5 on: 09 / March / 2012, 09:34:39 »
As we say in the UK, you wait ages for a bus and then along come three !
So, you have some responses.
I have posted a number of questions on the AutoIt forum and not received any answers, there can be many reasons for that.

I was therefore wondering: can CHDK be used to shoot with focus bracketing even when the camera is in AF mode?

No.
It is rather technical information but look at line 34 here :

http://trac.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk/platform/sx40hs/platform_camera.h

That says you cannot override focus when you are not in manual-focus mode.

Such is life .....

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
« Reply #6 on: 09 / March / 2012, 12:46:55 »
Many thanks for your responses Microfunguy and in particular fe50.

@waterwingz: LOL, I meant to ask whether there's a different *section* of this forum that is better suited to beginners' questions, but I guess the issue with constant AutoISO160 in HQ mode just doesn't have a clear solution for now. I'm still very pleased with CHDK overall, and very grateful to the developers for its existance.
« Last Edit: 09 / March / 2012, 18:19:19 by longtalker »