CHDK Color Palette stuff - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK Color Palette stuff

• 6 Replies

Offline koshy

CHDK Color Palette stuff
« on: 13 / November / 2019, 20:56:09 »
Advertisements
I recall working on CHDK color palettes for various cameras and CHDKPTP color palettes in UI Overlay mode to match them. That was in 2014 and I don't remember all the details.

So, I have three questions I guess...

1) What obstacles exist to have the CHDK menu colors, splash screen etc. look the same on all cameras I have for an out of the box CHDK? That they don't is maybe the one thing about the look and feel that bothers me most. Visual identity of CHDK if you want is important - yes even remembering what the h stands for  ;)

2) If it's feasible is anyone interested in doing this kind of thing as nafraf did years ago or if not would someone please teach me some of what I need to know to do it.

3) Even if it's not feasible on a broader base would someone please help me fix Ixus 105? I picked one up that gets a lot of use these days (not because it's a particularly great camera but because it matches a rose colored purse and a second a blue one which is a perfectly good reason :)) Whenever I handle the things I think EEEK. See attached image.
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDK Color Palette stuff
« Reply #1 on: 14 / November / 2019, 13:19:07 »
1) What obstacles exist to have the CHDK menu colors, splash screen etc. look the same on all cameras I have for an out of the box CHDK?
DIGIC II, III, 4, 5 uses paletted overlay. The palette is 4-bit on DIGIC II and III, and usually 8-bit on DIGIC 4, 5. Some early DIGIC 4 cams may use 4-bit overlay, but I'm not certain.
From CHDK perspective, the palette is always 8-bit.
The available colors are chosen by the Canon firmware, different palettes are used depending on play/rec mode and whether a Canon menu is visible. On DIGIC II and III cams, one has to live with the firmware's colors. On DIGIC 4 and 5 cams, there are methods for injecting the common CHDK colors into an unused place of the 256-entry Canon palette. CHDK can look the same on those cameras (but only in plain playback and rec mode). However, implementing this is not trivial.

A common, artificial palette is used on DIGIC 6 and later ports.

would someone please teach me some of what I need to know to do it.
The easy way is to pick the closest colors in play and rec mode, using the CHDK palette viewer. Find platform/(camera)/platform_palette.c in source and change the numbers in the ply_colors and rec_colors arrays. Those numbers are palette indexes as shown in the palette viewer. Recompile when done. You could try this method on the ixus105.

Offline koshy

« Reply #2 on: 14 / November / 2019, 15:24:09 »
1) What obstacles exist to have the CHDK menu colors[...]
Thank you so much for the write up, I don't recall how much of this I was aware of but I do recall that something was non trivial.
would someone please teach me some of what I need to know to do it.
The easy way is to pick the closest colors in play and rec mode, using the CHDK palette viewer. Find platform/(camera)/platform_palette.c in source and change the numbers in the ply_colors and rec_colors arrays. Those numbers are palette indexes as shown in the palette viewer. Recompile when done. You could try this method on the ixus105.
Great that sounds easy enough, I'll do that.
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline koshy

« Reply #3 on: 14 / November / 2019, 16:27:00 »
This was moved to the ixus 105 porting thread, I guess that's a better place for it...
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5720.new#new
« Last Edit: 15 / November / 2019, 11:20:53 by koshy »

Offline koshy

« Reply #4 on: 14 / November / 2019, 17:01:00 »
This was moved to the ixus 105 porting thread, I guess that's a better place for it...
« Last Edit: 15 / November / 2019, 11:21:48 by koshy »

Offline koshy

« Reply #5 on: 15 / November / 2019, 07:40:16 »
« Last Edit: 15 / November / 2019, 11:22:58 by koshy »

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #6 on: 08 / July / 2020, 15:13:39 »
HereĀ“s my CCC (Copy & compile collection) of :-* beautified platform_palette.c for
Ixus 130,200,220,230,240,310,870,970, S90,95 & Sx210.
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.