PowerShot SX270 HS for aerial photography - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

PowerShot SX270 HS for aerial photography

• 1 Replies
PowerShot SX270 HS for aerial photography
« on: 31 / December / 2014, 03:00:51 »
Advertisements
Hi,

For a while I've been using an Ixus 127 HS with the CHDK USB remote library in order to take photos and start and stop videos from the air. After crashing the camera into a river, the quality of the images has been impaired as I was unable to correctly align the primary lens assembly after taking it apart to dry and clean it.

I'm trying to find a suitable camera to replace it which meets the following critera:

• CHDK compatibility for remote control of shutter, zoom and exposure etc.
  • 1080p video at 30 frames per second (60 would be nice)
  • Total camera weight around 150 to 250 g

I was originally planning on upgrading to an S120, however it is currently not supported by CHDK. In fact, the only camera I've found that meets all three requirements is the SX270/SX280 HS, which has partial CHDK support. I've not been able to discover from the various porting threads whether the USB remote functionality is working on this partial port.

Can anyone comment whether the SX270/SX280 HS cameras are able to be controlled using CHDK and the 5 V USB line?

Cheers,
Jon

Offline srsa_4c

Re: PowerShot SX270 HS for aerial photography
« Reply #1 on: 01 / January / 2015, 08:53:50 »
I've not been able to discover from the various porting threads whether the USB remote functionality is working on this partial port.

Can anyone comment whether the SX270/SX280 HS cameras are able to be controlled using CHDK and the 5 V USB line?
I don't use this feature regularly, so I don't know how reliable it is. I did a quick try (settings: onepush, normal), plugging USB in and out takes a picture in photo mode. When in movie mode, it starts recording and most of the keyboard stops reacting. That's probably not a good sign. edit: My ixus115 does the same when it's in movie mode, so this appears to be a general CHDK issue. If you're using a script to evaluate the pulses, it may behave differently though.

I'd recommend asking port-specific questions in the cameras' porting thread; those posts have a better chance of being noticed by people having the specific camera model.

Canon P&S cameras with 30fps fullhd video:
- SX1 IS (too heavy)
- DIGIC 4+ models with CMOS sensor (none of them is ported)
- DIGIC 6 models (most of these also record 60fps fullhd video, but none of them is ported - except for the sx280/270)
« Last Edit: 01 / January / 2015, 11:04:34 by srsa_4c »