Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.5 - page 4 - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.5

• 166 Replies
Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.1
« Reply #30 on: 16 / October / 2013, 08:23:03 »
Advertisements
Is it possible to include some kind of user-defined fixed timer which change shutter speed? For example reduce shutter speed one step every 5 minutes or more dynamic timer like reduce shutter speed one step after 5 minutes, then after 4 minutes, after 3 minutes, etc?
Its just code - anything is possible.   Can you tell me a bit more about why you want to do this (to be sure I understand what you want) ?  Are you trying to control the rate at which the shutter speed changes only when the outside illumination changes ?  (i.e.  as the sun sets, slowly increase the shutter speed even if the current scene illumination would require the shutter speed to change more quickly ?)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #31 on: 16 / October / 2013, 09:22:12 »
I'm trying to keep exposure changes as smooth as possible. Sometimes there is lots of clouds drifting on the horizon which temporary reduce scene light because they partially block sunlight and/or reflect light the way that camera's light meter under/over exposure too much for some images. That would look ugly when playing  timelapse video. Sun position on the sky is quite predictable when time is running, so I thought some fixed timer would help to get smooth exposure changes and eliminate jumpy exposure changes.

However, there could be other solution too, if it is possible to spot measure light somewhere else than center of the screen. Maybe put grey card on lower corner of the scene under shade where camera could spot measure overall scene light better? It would be easy to crop the grey card away since often it is desirable to make a 16:9 video from timelapse anyway.

« Reply #32 on: 16 / October / 2013, 09:32:05 »
I'm trying to keep exposure changes as smooth as possible. Sometimes there is lots of clouds drifting on the horizon which temporary reduce scene light because they partially block sunlight and/or reflect light the way that camera's light meter under/over exposure too much for some images. That would look ugly when playing  timelapse video. Sun position on the sky is quite predictable when time is running, so I thought some fixed timer would help to get smooth exposure changes and eliminate jumpy exposure changes.
I guess that makes sense.  But it would essentially be a different script - not just a small change to YASS4.

However, there could be other solution too, if it is possible to spot measure light somewhere else than center of the screen. Maybe put grey card on lower corner of the scene under shade where camera could spot measure overall scene light better? It would be easy to crop the grey card away since often it is desirable to make a 16:9 video from timelapse anyway.
You might want to look at this :
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8997.msg106163#msg106163
and then reread that entire thread.  The drawback there is that it requires a custom build of CHDK. 

However,  the meter stuff is has been separated out from the continuous shooting stuff
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8997.msg104147#msg104147
 .. I just haven't had time to do anything with it.

« Reply #33 on: 24 / October / 2013, 16:58:04 »
Thanks for this excellent script!

I just used it for a sunrise and it worked well!

Two questions though:
1) In the description you say that between Tv normal and Tv low the exposure is gradually ramped up. Now for a sunrise you would have to ramp it down, not up. It was not an issue for my timelapse which turned out nice, but I'm still wondering why you only ramp up and not just in the direction that the measurement requires.
2) Given that I shot a sunrise, I set up the camera in the evening and let it wait for a couple of hours. The maximum wait time in the script is 240 minutes. Why can I not set more than 240? 480 would have been nice for my use case.

Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!

« Reply #34 on: 24 / October / 2013, 17:41:19 »
1) In the description you say that between Tv normal and Tv low the exposure is gradually ramped up. Now for a sunrise you would have to ramp it down, not up. It was not an issue for my timelapse which turned out nice, but I'm still wondering why you only ramp up and not just in the direction that the measurement requires.
It actual does ramp in the direction that the measurement requires.  The use of the words "ramp down" in the description was unfortunate and reflects a single minded focus on sunsets.  I forgot that there is also exactly one sunrise for every sunset.

2) Given that I shot a sunrise, I set up the camera in the evening and let it wait for a couple of hours. The maximum wait time in the script is 240 minutes. Why can I not set more than 240? 480 would have been nice for my use case.
No problem - just edit line 32 of the script to be :

Code: [Select]
  @range   m 0 480

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4
« Reply #35 on: 13 / December / 2013, 06:53:30 »
I use the IXUS-115-IS and this script Yass-v4 works well. To shoot the photos is working. But I can not find out, how to turn off the display for battery-safe, while it is shooting. Do you know what to do?
« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2013, 06:56:21 by ruedithtube »

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4
« Reply #36 on: 13 / December / 2013, 08:38:27 »
I use the IXUS-115-IS and this script Yass-v4 works well. To shoot the photos is working. But I can not find out, how to turn off the display for battery-safe, while it is shooting. Do you know what to do?
There are multiple choices available in the script's user parameter menu - Display blanking mode.

This is documented here : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10493  where it says :

Display blanking mode
  • turns off the display to save power & remove distractions
  • BKLite disables the backlight only - available on all cameras - backlight flashes briefly after each shot
  • DispKey uses the camera's DISPLAY key to put the turn off the display - typically only works on cameras with optical view finders
  • ShrtCut presses the "short cut" key to enter sleep mode - not all cameras support a shortcut key
« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2013, 08:41:28 by waterwingz »

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) updated to v4.2
« Reply #37 on: 15 / December / 2013, 12:51:43 »
Is it possible to include this variant as an option in the main version of the script? There are some situations, when fast operation is useful (city traffic for example).
Updated the script so that :

• it runs in fast shooting mode when the interval is 5 seconds or less,  and regular shooting mode otherwise
  • the Exposure ramp rate setting changes with shot rate so that the actual exposure adjustment rate stays constant regardless of shot rate
  • the set focus at infinity function offers more & better options
  • minor cleanup to the text console output

Documentation and download link in the first post of this thread also updated.

Thanks to poweredjj  for the suggestions, comments, and testing help.

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.2
« Reply #38 on: 13 / January / 2014, 13:18:19 »
Hello,
first of all let me thank you for this skript. It's almost that one I was looking for. I tried it this morning and it worked pretty well. The only thing that didn't worked was the BKLite option. The backlight stayed on for the whole season. I also tried the other option, but I didn't expect them to work on my SX 230 HS. I use the HDK 1.3 version.
In an other skript I used it was requestet to set a sleep time before switch off the backlight. I tried to find out, if that might be the problem, but I didn't find the exact line, where the backlight is turned off, so I hope s.o. can help me with that problem.

Thanks ahead
Harald

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.2
« Reply #39 on: 13 / January / 2014, 13:38:35 »
Hello, first of all let me thank you for this skript. It's almost that one I was looking for. I tried it this morning and it worked pretty well. The only thing that didn't worked was the BKLite option. The backlight stayed on for the whole season. I also tried the other option, but I didn't expect them to work on my SX 230 HS. I use the HDK 1.3 version. In an other skript I used it was requestet to set a sleep time before switch off the backlight. I tried to find out, if that might be the problem, but I didn't find the exact line, where the backlight is turned off, so I hope s.o. can help me with that problem.
If you set the shooting interval too short, the backlight never gets a chance to turn off as the camera turns it back on after every shot.   However, since I last updated the script,  there is now a new script command available that actually turns off the whole display.  Sometime in the next couple of days I'll update the script to use that instead.