Powershot A590 requesting firmware change - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Powershot A590 requesting firmware change

• 4 Replies
Powershot A590 requesting firmware change
« on: 14 / January / 2022, 17:03:50 »
Advertisements
I know it’s old but I would like to use it for a podcast, here’s the deal, I have the DC input but it still wants to turn off every 3 minutes max to save energy. This camera is not able to send picture through USB like new cameras so I’m using the composite out. It looks much better than a webcam because it has optical zoom and a nice sensor.

So here is the final request, removing display off timer, and maybe cleaning up one mode of the lcd so there is nothing on the screen.

Offline reyalp

Re: Powershot A590 requesting firmware change
« Reply #1 on: 14 / January / 2022, 18:57:22 »

So here is the final request, removing display off timer, and maybe cleaning up one mode of the lcd so there is nothing on the screen.
Setting "Disable LCD off" to "Always" in the CHDK settings menu should disable the display off timer.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / January / 2022, 22:10:41 »
Thank you for helping me find the CHDK menu, I am obviously a newbie, however, I am unable to find that setting as it appears to be in German… do you know what menu it would be in German and what exactly it would say because I looked up a translation and it didn’t exist? I combed the settings hard for anything that would look similar. Thanks in advance for your help, Chris.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 15 / January / 2022, 22:40:29 »
Thank you for helping me find the CHDK menu, I am obviously a newbie, however, I am unable to find that setting as it appears to be in German…
FWIW, if you downloaded the official CHDK autobuild (http://mighty-hoernsche.de/), it should default to English. You may have downloaded the chdkde version (from https://forum.chdk-treff.de/), which defaults to German. They should be functionally equivalent, but if you downloaded from somewhere other than those two, I'd suggest getting the official version.

You could either install the official version, or switch the CHDK language to English with the following:
Make sure you camera language is set to English in the Canon UI.
Enter alt mode (I believe the print button is the default for A590)
You should see "Default script" in the lower left. If you see some other script name, you must have already selected some other script, and you need to select default.lua using the Func button.
Press the shutter fully to run the default script. This should set the CHDK language to match the Canon UI language (if CHDK has a suitable translation)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 16 / January / 2022, 00:15:19 »
Thank you to your help I was able to obtain the English version, I love the support for cameras on this community, that it extends all the way back to 08, it quite amazing. It was easy for me to load the new software and much easier than "hacking" my Wii, Camera is now set to Always* :) Should be useable for me now, I will likely look into how to have these settings at start up all the time now when I get my podcast room built into it's final form, unsure how long this old camera will be doing the optical zooming for me but I know come Monday I have a new one coming to me because I couldn't find the video cable... and then I did right after I ordered another camera with the cable included for $20 on eBay lol. Hey if anyone has the video cable for a Hitachi Mini DVD DZ-MV580A let me know because it's some sort of crazy proprietary USB plug including on eBay and It was my brothers old camera and I can't find the cable anywhere, need it for the same reason. Truthblast on Youtube. Cheers! Chris  ;)
« Last Edit: 16 / January / 2022, 00:17:02 by Crskub »