KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 3 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #20 on: 11 / November / 2013, 08:20:41 »
Advertisements
Thanks for the wonderful script waterwingz :)

Don't know if you seen my post on the KAP forum, but it would be great for if there was an option to set focus by hyperfocal distance.

Link to thread on KAP forum.
http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/4751/new-chdk-script-for-kap-uav-for-fast-shutter-speeds

« Reply #21 on: 11 / November / 2013, 08:55:15 »
Don't know if you seen my post on the KAP forum, but it would be great for if there was an option to set focus by hyperfocal distance.
Yes,  I've seen the post.  Thanks for using the script and commenting positively.

I'm looking into enabling hyperfocal focus as an option.  One of the issues is the differing ability of various cameras to actually allow you to set (and hold) a MF setting.  Once I get that as good as it will get,   I'll roll huperfocal into the next upgrade.   peabody (a.k.a wayback) has pointed out a few other little improvements that need to be added.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 11 / November / 2013, 10:52:07 »
Thanks waterwingz,

I just posted this on the KAP thread:
A590 IS:
If the focus lock is set to off in the script, and you use CHDK to set the focus to hyperfocal distance before running the script the photos will be taken at the hyperfocal distance. You will want to make sure Iris is not enabled for AV Mode in the script, as different apertures will affect the hyperfocal distance.

Looking forward to the next upgrade.
« Last Edit: 11 / November / 2013, 13:34:21 by bisenberger »

« Reply #23 on: 11 / November / 2013, 14:43:57 »
Would it be possible to add 1/640 as a Target Tv?

« Reply #24 on: 11 / November / 2013, 19:19:05 »
If the focus lock is set to off in the script, and you use CHDK to set the focus to hyperfocal distance before running the script the photos will be taken at the hyperfocal distance.
Your camera is one of those that can set focus without being in MF (or AFL) mode.  Lucky you! I'll probably modify the script params so people with camera models like that will be able to set infinity or hyperfocal focus without the trying for MF or AF lock.

You will want to make sure Iris is not enabled for AV Mode in the script, as different apertures will affect the hyperfocal distance.
The script will take that into account.

Looking forward to the next upgrade.
Me too :)  Should be this week some time.

Would it be possible to add 1/640 as a Target Tv?
Yes - good idea.

« Reply #25 on: 12 / November / 2013, 08:10:27 »
Excellent!!!

« Reply #26 on: 12 / November / 2013, 14:23:00 »
waterwingz, here's a comparison between infinite and hyperfocal. Infinite appears to do a better job unless Safety MF is set to on.
f/4.0  1/800  ISO:80
« Last Edit: 12 / November / 2013, 14:25:49 by bisenberger »

« Reply #27 on: 12 / November / 2013, 15:53:21 »
waterwingz, here's a comparison between infinite and hyperfocal. Infinite appears to do a better job unless Safety MF is set to on.
f/4.0  1/800  ISO:80
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.  Its nice to see some actual data!  To my tired eyes, the hyperfocal image is clearly inferior and the other three are about the same.  But then I've never been much good at "pixel peeping" - how do you see it?

The safety MF data suggests that the camera adjusted your "hyperfocal" setting back out towards infinite.  If you want to try and get a better look at what is happening,  the CHDK OSD "DOF calculator" will give you an onscreen display of where the camera is focused.

At this point,  it sounds like using the hyperfocal point is of little value for KAP, where the image at infinity is more important than anything that might chance to be in focus close up?

This has not been a wasted effort for me.  As I struggle with CHDK's MF capability I'm learning a lot more about what works and what doesn't.  My four cameras all work differently and I'm sure there are other examples.  In fact, I've started a list of sorts here : CHDK Wiki  : Manual_Focus.   We will have to see what comes out of that.
« Last Edit: 12 / November / 2013, 16:03:30 by waterwingz »

« Reply #28 on: 13 / November / 2013, 06:53:19 »
The above is not a valid test.

The point is, the magnified views in the images above represent a different set of viewing conditions.
For the magnified images viewed at the same distance, the 'circle-of-confusion' would need to be smaller and the hyperfocal distance would be different than that used.
It would move closer to infinity.

I agree there is no point having a hyperfocal option.
If you are using a wide-angle setting with a UAV then it is not needed there either.
Anything beyond one metre is at infinity anyway.

As for aperture, that should not be variable but fixed at your determined optimum value.
In the case of my S95 that is fully open.

Just change shutter speed and ISO, that is all that is needed.

It is important to understand the optical principles.

Keep it simple ............
« Last Edit: 13 / November / 2013, 07:10:44 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #29 on: 13 / November / 2013, 08:48:29 »
The photos were all taken from the same location on a tripod at f/4.0 - 1/800 - ISO 80. The only difference between the images were the focus set at hyperfocal and infite and the Safety MF setting. The posted image is a screen capture from Adobe Bridge Review Mode. The  Loupe tool is a feature of Review Mode that lets you compare areas of different images at 100% magnification (1:1). For more information on Adobe Bridge Review Mode and the Loupe tool see this link.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WS7049512F-0ED0-4f33-B6D9-D7B89F8F0909a.html

I agree that it looks like hyperfocal distance is of little value for KAP.

I've notice with my cameras that the sweet spot is around the middle of Aperture range. I prefer to use the AV setting for KAP with lower ISO to avoid noise in shadow areas.