Testing the new Eye-Fi x2 8GB with CHDK on a Canon G11 - wishing for FAT32 boot - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Testing the new Eye-Fi x2 8GB with CHDK on a Canon G11 - wishing for FAT32 boot

• 16 Replies
Advertisements
Does anybody happen to know if there is any partition trickery I can do to get a 4GB Eye-Fi X2 card to work in a A620 camera?  I bought the card only to realize the camera does not recognize it.  I get the "Memory Card Error" message.  I only want to be able to send photos to a PC wirelessly and not keep them saved on the SD card, so I don't mind if half the card's storage is not accessible so long as the WiFi part works.

My goal is to take a time-lapse over months with a A620 camera without ever needing to touch the camera or empty the card or use a computer directly connected to the camera.  (i.e. no PSRemote)
Sorry if this is too off-topic from this thread.  Thank you!

Offline reyalp

Does anybody happen to know if there is any partition trickery I can do to get a 4GB Eye-Fi X2 card to work in a A620 camera?  I bought the card only to realize the camera does not recognize it.  I get the "Memory Card Error" message.  I only want to be able to send photos to a PC wirelessly and not keep them saved on the SD card, so I don't mind if half the card's storage is not accessible so long as the WiFi part works.
This is likely due to the card being an SDHC card, not an SD card, which is a hardware difference, not a software difference. Old cameras like the a620 only support SD, no fix for that.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Thanks.  I figured as such but had to ask just in case.  For my application I think CHDK is looking less viable since I need an unattended/standalone setup to take a long-term time-lapse.  I'll probably have to just use a small PC and run PSRemote still.

I found another discouraging detail about Eye-Fi cards:
http://support.eye.fi/software/account/transfer-mode/
Endless Memory: (only available with Eye-Fi X2 Cards)
"Images and videos will only be deleted by Endless Memory when the card is power cycled."

This means, even if I used a camera that supported SDHC (and thus my 4GB Eye-Fi X2 card), the Eye-Fi card would not do any house keeping or deleting of excess files without the camera being powered off once in a while.  Obviously if I left it on for a few months while filming this would never happen and the card would quickly fill up anyway.  So much for compactness. Well, this is becoming off topic now so I'll stop here.  Let me know if anybody knows of a better way to do what I am trying to do.  Have a great weekend!

Offline reyalp

Endless Memory: (only available with Eye-Fi X2 Cards)
"Images and videos will only be deleted by Endless Memory when the card is power cycled."
You can delete files from CHDK lua scripts, so assuming you can be assured the files are uploaded after some period of time, and assuming the eye-fi doesn't get confused by CHDK delete, you can manage that from script.

Pelrun has done some work on configuring eye-fi cards from within CHDK, I don't know if this gives you any possibilities for managing how the files are handled.

I know people  have done long term time lapses with CHDK, but I'm not sure of the details. I believe mattkime (who started this thread) was doing something like this. Searching his old posts may turn up some useful information.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

I have what I need to do a CHDK-side endless memory now, which wouldn't need power-cycling or any of the other shenanigans that the card-side one does. So I should have an initial release of that code in the near future.

Hope this isn't too off topic for the thread... (also @pelrun, excited to hear that you're making so much progress with the eye-fi code in CHDK... sorry I dropped the ball emailing berend. Just sent him an email re you and eye-fi/CHDK code)

Re Dan-Tron's situation, I PM'd him, but I am also attaching a working timelapse script I am using with an Eye-fi card to do CHDK-side endless memory. The down-side is that it can't see what pics are deleted, so if they aren't already uploaded, then you get disaster. You can mitigate it by specifying how many pics to delete at once and how much free space to delete at.

The script is attached with the settings I am running it on. IT WILL DELETE IMAGES if you run it indefinitely - once your card gets to 512 MB of free space or less, this script deletes 144 images next time it runs.

Basically I took Fraser McCrossan's timelapse with power-saving and accurate intervalometer (or something like that) and added a zoom setting (implemented as percent zoom to work across camera models), a focus-to-hyperfocal distance feature (because infinity was broken on the SX30 when I was working on it), and the delete feature, which has a "free space" variable and a "number of pics to delete" variable.

(ps I have a hard time sometimes finding my way around these forums - if I could/should post this somewhere else so others can find it more easily, just tell me where..)
A720 1.00c | D10 1.00b |SX220 1.01a | SX230 ? | SX30 1.00p CHDK ver. 1.1.0-r1727

That's okay. I've already contacted Berend and he's passed on some information to me. I've been otherwise distracted for the past month or so and haven't made any more progress, but I'm planning on getting back to work this week.

As for finding posts, a lot of us just use the "new posts since last visit" page, so it doesn't really matter which forum something is posted in if it's got a descriptive title.