NOW: Exiftool usage lessons .. WAS: Bug ?? in Auto CHDK to Exif - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

NOW: Exiftool usage lessons .. WAS: Bug ?? in Auto CHDK to Exif

• 22 Replies

Offline Sow.N.Reap

• Canon S5is
Re: NOW: Exiftool usage lessons .. WAS: Bug ?? in Auto CHDK to Exif
« Reply #20 on: 20 / August / 2009, 23:22:51 »
Advertisements
Your lucky. My main problem is getting enough lightening storms to come close enough to my area. We have some kind of weird "devil's triangle" thing that seems to tear our storms up before they get to me. The storms that do make it last about 15 minutes if I'm lucky & lately not much lightening in them.

I didn't see any "tags" in your photo so until you posted those links I didn't get to see them. Interesting info.

I grabbed the new version. I already had the "perl version" for the docs & other goodies but grabbed it again also.

It's very straight forward. One argument per line. Even if it's part of the a "whole" command, you need to break it at spaces in the command. [snipped]

Is this concept clearly explained, or do I need a better example of individual arguments vs. whole commands?

I get some of those but still not sure when something should go on new line. Just looking at the example:
"exiftool -r -o dummy/ -directory=%e_images/%d pics"
in the docs I wasn't sure what was an argument that needed to be on a new line, especially since I only needed "-o dummy/ -directory=". I assumed -directory should be on new line but not the "dummy/" part which I incorrectly assumed went on same line as the "-o". Wasn't hard to fix to this:
-o
dummy/
-directory=J:\PENDING

I didn't have as much trouble with the argfile/arguments as I did trying to the get -tagsfromfile option to work on the command line with my RenameCopy argfile. Once I put the -execute option in it worked. I think it has something to do with this from the manual regarding -tagsfilefile option:
"3) When performing complex batch processing, it is important to note that the order of operations is different for tags copied in batch mode. In general, tags are copied from batch-mode files after all other command-line arguments have been applied. "
So I **think** it was renaming the files before it was creating the .mie files which meant it couldn't find the file to create the mie. Hope that made sense. :) But like I said I got it working with the -execute option so it does the -tagsfromfile first then processes the RenameCopy argfile.

I got everything working enough to try it on some actual photos since I still had the originals on the SD card. I have an CHDK, XMP, IPTC argile in addition to a RenameCopy argile. Everything on 1 command line including the -tagsfromfile to create the mie file. They all got renamed & copied to new folder but for some reason only 24 out of 43 photos got the CHDK, XMP, IPTC written to them. I'm not sure why it didn't write all of them. I didn't get any errors .. it said 43 files updated. Reran my CHDK argfile on those 19 photos & everything worked right so not sure what happened. That's 1 reason why I'm copying the files rather than moving them. Once I see everything is working ok & don't have to worry about it I'll remove the -o dummy/ part & just move to new dir.

Canon S5is .. My Flickr page

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #21 on: 21 / August / 2009, 13:36:36 »
Your lucky. My main problem is getting enough lightening storms to come close enough to my area.
We've had storms nearly every night the last week... it's the heat of August in NYC.
http://bill-p.tripod.com/CHDKLightning/index.album/lightning-wallpaper-7-1920x1200?i=1&s=1

So I **think** it was renaming the files before it was creating the .mie files which meant it couldn't find the file to create the mie. Hope that made sense. :)
Indeed. Make sure of that subtle difference between -tagsfromfile <name> ... <DIR> and -srcfile <name> -tagsfromfile @ ... <DIR>... the former cannot create new files, it will be trying to read from a file that doesn't exist, whereas the latter will update existing ones as well as create new ones...
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

Offline Sow.N.Reap

• Canon S5is
« Reply #22 on: 24 / August / 2009, 02:38:43 »
Indeed. Make sure of that subtle difference between -tagsfromfile <name> ... <DIR> and -srcfile <name> -tagsfromfile @ ... <DIR>... the former cannot create new files, it will be trying to read from a file that doesn't exist, whereas the latter will update existing ones as well as create new ones...
To be honest, I get this but I guess not enough to get it to work ... yet.

I've been busy with other things & haven't had enough time to work through this. I need to play & think on this more.
Canon S5is .. My Flickr page