STICK and ASSIST - new tools to install CHDK and SDM - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

STICK and ASSIST - new tools to install CHDK and SDM

• 25 Replies
Re: STICK and ASSIST - new tools to install CHDK and SDM
« Reply #20 on: 30 / April / 2013, 18:20:22 »
Advertisements
Hi Zeno,

After I wrote my previous comment I tried the card in my desktop machine running Fedora 18 with a USB card reader and it worked fine. That machine assigns /dev/sde to the card instead of the far more confusing /dev/mmcblck0.

That "mmc" stands for "multimedia card" and is apparently a holdover from a competing near-equivalent to SD type of card. The card itself is an SDHC but the reader is integrated into an older laptop and that seems to be source of the whacky name: when the card is in the USB card reader in the same laptop it is assigned /dev/sdb.

« Reply #21 on: 30 / April / 2013, 18:55:35 »
Hi Zeno,

After I wrote my previous comment I tried the card in my desktop machine running Fedora 18 with a USB card reader and it worked fine. That machine assigns /dev/sde to the card instead of the far more confusing /dev/mmcblck0.

That "mmc" stands for "multimedia card" and is apparently a holdover from a competing near-equivalent to SD type of card. The card itself is an SDHC but the reader is integrated into an older laptop and that seems to be source of the whacky name: when the card is in the USB card reader in the same laptop it is assigned /dev/sdb.
It this thread about this on dpreview the other day there was a comment about this issue :

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51373035 :
... but when it came time to set up the SD card it gave me an error that I no longer remember accurately: something about too long of a name--it meant nothing to me since it had no other context about what was too long or why it cared

Is it possible the longer /dev/mmcblck0 name is getting rejected by the STICK code due to something like a buffer size definition?  ( i.e. only expecting 9 characters : /dev/sdc1)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #22 on: 01 / May / 2013, 04:30:06 »
Aha! This does look like what's going wrong. The STICK code assumes that the card device will have the form /dev/sd.....". I'll have to look at what needs to be altered to make it deal with names of the form "/dev/mm....".

Thanks for the info - my ASSIST app suffers from the same problem so if I can fix STICK I can fix that too.

I'll try to produce a test version over the next few days (it's World Wide KAP Week so I'm busy outdoors! - see http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/4396/wwkw-2013/p1
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #23 on: 25 / April / 2014, 09:34:08 »
zeno :

Thought I'd ask a question here as this has come up at least three times today in the forum posts.   You are recommending formatting cards "in camera" so that you get a FAT32 card.  Are there any cases where the camera will format the card as exFAT (e.g. really large cards) and leave the user with something that will not autoboot?

There are warnings about this on the wiki page but I suspect most people who successfully use STICK never get far enough to actually read them.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #24 on: 25 / April / 2014, 12:17:43 »
STICK does check if a card is EXFAT and if so will reformat it - at least that's what the code says it will do.

What I have recently realised is that if a card has been partitioned (e.g. because the user thought it needed to be or because it was previously used to install CHDK for an older camera) then if that card is used to try to install CHDK for a new camera, it won't turn the two partitions into one and format as FAT32. Instead it will install CHDK in the small partition - in which case CHDK may not boot or if it does will not switch partitions and hence will put photos in the small partition.

I'll try to fix this - or at least diagnose the problem and display a message to the user to reformat.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #25 on: 08 / May / 2014, 06:49:25 »
Ok, I solved it myself. Working as intended :)
« Last Edit: 08 / May / 2014, 08:44:17 by Aquila »