New Powershot D30 - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

New Powershot D30

• 72 Replies

Offline nafraf

Re: New Powershot D30
« Reply #20 on: 12 / July / 2014, 13:39:30 »
Advertisements
I executed the testscripts and procedures according to the document in the link.
Thanks for the report.
I sent you a new file. Please test zebra again.

mftest.lua: Could you post the log file generated by the script?
ubtest.bas: Please check this:
Output is logged to CHDK/LOGS/LOG_0001.TXT. The log will indicate whether the shots above were + or -, with the corresponding exposure number. Compare the jpegs to ensure the images show the expected variation in exposure.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 12 / July / 2014, 17:27:55 »
Also please check DNG

1) DNG is saved in the same folder as jpegs with the correct name if you select "Raw in folder with jpeg"
2) DNG contains a valid image. Take several shots. Try both AUTO mode and P mode. You can look at them using a free program like irfanview. The quality probably won't look very good, but you should be able to tell if the image is there.
3) DNG file does not have large black borders
4) DNG validates with adobe dng_validate (available with the adobe DNG SDK)

If you upload a sample DNG somewhere, we can take care of the last two.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Tested the latest version
« Reply #22 on: 13 / July / 2014, 15:33:41 »
Hi
Tested the new version - Zebra now is ok...
Hope I made all the tests you need - please find all attached files you requested and the new test report in this shared folder:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3xKqP5oRrFqeDdROWhGcDltN00&usp=sharing

Thank you for your effort!

« Reply #23 on: 20 / July / 2014, 17:20:04 »
Hi
Is everything allright with my test report? Too bad the test version of CHDK is expired. I appreciate it very much - even though it's only beta.
Hope to hear from you soon - best regards!

Offline nafraf

« Reply #24 on: 22 / July / 2014, 22:40:10 »
Thanks for the report.

I'll send you a new version. Two more tests:
- Test if overrides are applied correctly when you press the shutter quickly without waiting for auto-focus.
- chdkptp connections and remote capture.
chdkptp binaries are available here. Documentation is here: https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki

Thanks

« Reply #25 on: 25 / July / 2014, 18:03:18 »
Hello Nafraf!

Now I tried to test different variations of overrides - with and without waiting for AF to focus.
I had some problems with chdkptp - but I'm unsure wether the problem was located between my chair and keyboard or in chdk/chdkptp ;)

Please find the test report here (hope it is useful):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_L0Oxe-RdhvdpqnlaPg3fEJkmUAyNS8Lp1ZJtqJdwiw/edit?usp=sharing

Offline nafraf

« Reply #26 on: 26 / July / 2014, 14:59:10 »
Hi!
I had some problems with chdkptp - but I'm unsure wether the problem was located between my chair and keyboard or in chdk/chdkptp ;)
Why did you use a virtual machine? there are chdkptp versions for windows and linux :)

« Reply #27 on: 27 / July / 2014, 17:33:10 »
Hi Nafraf!
my Win7 at work is locked by policies - no special USB drivers installable
at home I'm Linux user for 10+ years now. Therefore the complicated test with Win XP in a VM. But beside being a little workaround it should be ok this way.

Is my test log useful for you?

I did a couple of other tests with chdkptp but it seems I can only read from the camera but not send any commands with chdkptp.

« Reply #28 on: 28 / July / 2014, 00:12:20 »
Is my test log useful for you?
nafraf send me a link to the test log to look at.  It seems that the exposure overrides are working correctly. However, you probably need to understand a bit about how those overrides work. 

When you set an override from CHDK,  the Canon firmware has no idea that you are doing that.  So it sets the other exposure parameters not being overridden to whatever it would normally have set them to.   Your override will thus result in an incorrect exposure (unless you happened to set the override value to whatever the Canon firmware was going to use).   Think of overrides as "M" or manual mode settings.  Once you pick one,  you have to set the other two if you want the exposure to be correct.

As a side note,  the D30 does not have an adjustable aperture (just like most Canon small PS cameras).  The effective aperture you see on the display will change with zoom position but that is the only way it will change.  There is a neutral density filter that can be inserted resulting in about a 3 stop change in exposure.

I did a couple of other tests with chdkptp but it seems I can only read from the camera but not send any commands with chdkptp.
Not sure what to tell you here.  I run chdkptp on a Linux machine every day and have a Win7 partition where it also works fine.  I'm not so sure I'd want to try something that hardware dependent from any sort of a virtual machine.
« Last Edit: 28 / July / 2014, 00:14:24 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #29 on: 28 / July / 2014, 08:54:10 »
thank you, waterwingz! I don't have much experience with chdk up to now. I heard from chdk in June this year.
Now the technical background about chdk-overrides is clear to me, I will try to make use of the nd-filter to compensate.

Regarding the chdkptp test - is there a short summary how to get the tool running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I installed lua5.2 but what to do then? The hint to find information about the Linux installation in README.TXT file didn't help me.
I'm not a developer but I'm not afraid of the commandline. Is there a short description of the necessary steps?

Thank you for any hints!