ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread - page 36 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread

• 899 Replies
Re: ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #350 on: 28 / November / 2011, 15:53:40 »
Advertisements
Changed 0x6E10 to 0x6E0C.

Works now, with any quality, thanks :)
I tried normal video recording, movie digest, slow motion, and it all seems to be working perfectly.

I was playing around with the photo overrides, and the aperture refuses to change to anything except 2.7 and 8.0.
If I set the override value as something large, it sets it at 8.0, if I set it to something small, it sets it at 2.7.

I was thinking that maybe now that video recording is safely out of the way, someone might want to start figuring out why the photo overrides don't work so well? :P

I know I must be quite a brat complaining about this and that not working and not being able to program myself  :-X  :D
But the prospect of turning my camera into something far less crippled than canon made it is an exciting one :)

Great job guys!  :xmas

Offline tommi2water

• IXUS 220 HS Firmware: 1.00c
« Reply #351 on: 28 / November / 2011, 16:09:51 »
I know I must be quite a brat complaining about this and that not working and not being able to program myself  :-X  :D

No, any comment/bug report is welcome!

From your feedback we know what issues still have to be fixed.

It's not possible that we find all issues on our own. To be honest, I had not much time to play around with CHDK during the last two days because of stepping through assembler code.  :haha

So, please test and feel free to provide your feedback.  :D

« Reply #352 on: 28 / November / 2011, 16:23:54 »
I was playing around with the photo overrides, and the aperture refuses to change to anything except 2.7 and 8.0.

That may not be a bug.  Please see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/ND_Filter

« Reply #353 on: 28 / November / 2011, 16:30:14 »

interesting, thanks for posting.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #354 on: 28 / November / 2011, 18:01:27 »
@tommi2water
@jstanley0
Congratulations, great job !

... That may not be a bug.  Please see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/ND_Filter
Note that the default camera properties (in /include/camera.h) has
#define CAM_HAS_IRIS_DIAPHRAGM      1           // Camera has real diaphragm mechanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragm_%28optics%29)
which means that we need (in platform/ixus220_elph300hs/platform_camera.h)
#undef CAM_HAS_IRIS_DIAPHRAGM
in order to instruct CHDK that there's no aperture - override aperture options will then not be
shown in the menu anymore.

hope that helps,

wim

« Reply #355 on: 28 / November / 2011, 23:02:08 »
Regarding firmware 1.01d: I've confirmed the known stubs haven't moved since 1.01c.  I've diffed the two firmwares in a hex editor, and not much has changed.  From what I can see, the code is identical, but some data toward the end is different.  I did not do a complete analysis, though.

So it's not a fluke that a couple 1.01d users have had success with the 1.01c build.  (I see in the wiki there are a handful of other cases like this.)  We need to be sure both firmware versions are well-tested, though, in case some of the data changes wind up making a significant difference after all.

« Reply #356 on: 28 / November / 2011, 23:16:44 »
Regarding firmware 1.01d: I've confirmed the known stubs haven't moved since 1.01c.  I've diffed the two firmwares in a hex editor, and not much has changed.  From what I can see, the code is identical, but some data toward the end is different.  I did not do a complete analysis, though.
There is a bunch of stuff up toward the top of a typical dump for most cameras that changes each time you dump from the same camera.  I assume its a RAM / NVRAM / EEPROM area and not ROM.

So it's not a fluke that a couple 1.01d users have had success with the 1.01c build.  (I see in the wiki there are a handful of other cases like this.)  We need to be sure both firmware versions are well-tested, though, in case some of the data changes wind up making a significant difference after all.
You are correct - there are a number of ports where one firmware version matches another.  Checking the stubs and maybe the three C task files should be all that is necessary to assure a match.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #357 on: 29 / November / 2011, 00:32:13 »
We still have some image capturing problems:
  • ISO speed override results in a crash when you half-press the shutter
    • I suspect this has something to do with shooting_expo_iso_override in shooting.c, which was lifted verbatim from the 500hs, which was lifted verbatim from the sx220hs ...
    • Also in this file, the aperture table is incorrect - this camera has a different lens than the 500hs.  Don't know how to find the proper values for this, however.
  • Focus distance override doesn't appear to do anything
    • Possibly due to incorrect focal length table in main.c?  (That one appears to be lifted straight from sx220.  the 500hs devs seem to have adapted theirs properly.)
  • ND filter override doesn't appear to do anything
    • although I'm not positive this camera even has one

It's getting late here and I need to go to work tomorrow morning, but I'll dive deeper into these issues tomorrow evening.

« Reply #358 on: 29 / November / 2011, 01:06:40 »
We still have some image capturing problems:
  • ND filter override doesn't appear to do anything
    • although I'm not positive this camera even has one
Hmmm. So I tried the ND filter option on tommi's latest build and IT WORKS.
The scene gets darker with the filter in. I tested a fairly dim scene where the camera automatically swings the filter out, but CHDK forces it in, making it too dark (=> it works)
(EDIT: I can hear it go "click" every time it swings in/out  :P
Also, it's quite clearly visible through the lens. It is automatically deployed whenever the camera is pointed at a bright scene)
(EDIT 2: I did some searching and it seems all IXUS models have an ND filter to make up for lack of an iris.
I also found this thread - pics of a disassembled IXUS 800 lens showing the filter: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,548.0.html)

A couple of days ago, when I was trying one of the older builds (don't remember which one now :'() I could actually set the "aperture" to THREE different values, not two. F16, F8, and F2.7.
I even used the F16 stop for a long exposure shot of traffic in the night with a 10 second shutter!
Which would mean that there is something other than the ND filter at work in this camera?

EDIT: I forgot about zoom! It was "F16" at around 4x zoom! Sorry for the confusion  ::)

I still have the problems with ISO and the focus distance override, though.

It's not possible that we find all issues on our own. To be honest, I had not much time to play around with CHDK during the last two days because of stepping through assembler code.  :haha

So, please test and feel free to provide your feedback.  :D

Alright! I play around way too much with it anyway  :lol
« Last Edit: 29 / November / 2011, 05:41:17 by dotslashcow »

« Reply #359 on: 29 / November / 2011, 05:18:16 »
I found another problem.
Both zebra mode and edge overlay behave this way:

I get a distorted version, x9, tiled on the screen.

Exactly the same thing happens for edge overlay, too, though it's not so clear in this picture:

And then there's the constant flickering of the OSD items, especially when the canon menu is opened with the FUNC./SET button.
The OSD is drawn over it, and it flickers quite terribly.
Perhaps these are slightly related?