Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum  

Poll

Would you find this feature important?

You must be joking, even my dog could crack that code. :)
7 (25%)
It might help, but I doubt I'd use it.
4 (14.3%)
Yes, I like this. I see how it would help a lot.
15 (53.6%)
PLEASE ADD IT! I've lost too many cameras!!!
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature

• 19 Replies
Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature
« on: 01 / April / 2008, 03:03:00 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:32:12 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature
« Reply #1 on: 01 / April / 2008, 03:20:34 »
wait, i had this idea first :D i can show you by sending you my personal chdk todo list. its in german though :D
problem is, as soon as sd card is removed, so is chdk.
this could be "hardcoded" into chdk as in "on startup, check the _securemodecheckbox_, if set, read the _securemodemessage_ (from text file). display message until camera shut down OR special keypress.

« Reply #2 on: 01 / April / 2008, 04:14:42 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:32:32 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #3 on: 01 / April / 2008, 05:22:52 »
There is the alternative way - to create a startup logo with such textual information and install it as boot image to the camera. In this case it will be shown every time on camera boot and will not depend on CHDK existence.
Or, even glue a sticker with the address to return. :)

All these things could help in case you lost the camera. But they are absolutely nothing if the camera is stolen.
« Last Edit: 01 / April / 2008, 05:27:07 by GrAnd »
CHDK Developer.

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #4 on: 01 / April / 2008, 05:58:41 »
coincidentally, for the first time in 7 years, I almost lost a cheap mobile phone  yesterday in a postal office.  >:(
luckily, the worker there was a fair person and she gave it to me.
I keep a software running on my smartphone though that allows me to remotely lock it up by sms and display a message on it like "located by GPS call 0123456".
I guess that changing the logo screen with your contact information would be nice, and in CHDK maybe even have it do something when you start it up that would make a thief discard of it to maybe be found by a fair person. not everybody would know that the software is just loaded on the card.
on bootup it could like simulate a malfunction or it could require some sort of login procedure to work properly (like a key press sequence).
anything that would better the chances of getting the camera back would be useful

Offline m2tk

• Sheet happens ...
« Reply #5 on: 01 / April / 2008, 07:03:14 »
a PIN code?
S5IS 1.01bc

« Reply #6 on: 01 / April / 2008, 08:53:58 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:32:54 by Barney Fife »

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #7 on: 01 / April / 2008, 11:51:26 »
I am confused! ???

I see two different ideas:

1.- Lost Camera: To somehow include your personal details in the camera so an honourable person can return it to you. But at the same time hide them to a burglar so he can't know where you live and can't attempt to mug you again?

2.- Stolen Camera: To introduce some kind of password so a burglar can't operate the camera making it worthless.

Compromises:
While my phone number in the camera increases the chances to get it back if found by a honest person. I'd hate my details been available to the burglar. (May be I'm too paranoid).

The password would give the robber a nice surprise, but I'd have to enter it every time I turn on the camera. (My be I'm too lazy).

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #8 on: 01 / April / 2008, 12:35:24 »
I am confused!

so am I .... What's the point of this ?

ex.: burglar -> sees password -> <swears> -> formats card -> smiles ...
or:  burglar -> sees password -> smiles knowingly (aha CHDK compat. cam -> more $$$)

might be useful for honest finder @price of privacy loss

wim
« Last Edit: 01 / April / 2008, 12:37:38 by whim »

« Reply #9 on: 01 / April / 2008, 17:22:23 »
Passwords are like locks

Keeps honest people honest