Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Poll

Would you find this feature important?

You must be joking, even my dog could crack that code. :)
7 (25%)
It might help, but I doubt I'd use it.
4 (14.3%)
Yes, I like this. I see how it would help a lot.
15 (53.6%)
PLEASE ADD IT! I've lost too many cameras!!!
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature

• 19 Replies
Re: Lost or Stolen Camera Security Feature
« Reply #10 on: 01 / April / 2008, 19:22:02 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:33:16 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #11 on: 01 / April / 2008, 19:36:11 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:33:36 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #12 on: 01 / April / 2008, 22:29:48 »
Sure, you can look at it any way you want. I work the F1 races at Indy. Last summer I lost my phone. Someone found it. Made a call to my mother. I still don't have my phone. I guess the phone call to my mother made it in his mind he tried to return my phone and he kept it, gave it to someone else, or sold it. The main office at the speedway never saw it, but hey it was only a 500 dollar phone.

I also work attorneys everyday. Some of them would rather take coffee then help pay for it. (supported by co-workers not the company)

There is different levels of stealing

5. You're on vacation and accidentally left your camera on the cafe' table. Maybe the next family that sits down ponders their great new find. Until they start it up and see that message. They rethink keeping it and return it.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #13 on: 02 / April / 2008, 05:17:17 »
« Last Edit: 02 / April / 2008, 05:20:37 by PhyrePhoX »

« Reply #14 on: 02 / April / 2008, 08:11:41 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:33:58 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #15 on: 06 / April / 2008, 20:10:46 »
Hello folks, first-time poster here...

A PIN-system is a great idea isn't it, I wonder why no manufacturer has it yet.

I was thinking about this problem yesterday, and a cool feature would be, to use the mode-dial like a safe's combination lock.. rotate right to Auto, left to SCN, right to M, to unlock!

this wiki section says CHDK supports reading the mode dial status...

« Reply #16 on: 07 / April / 2008, 02:48:17 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:34:29 by Barney Fife »

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #17 on: 07 / April / 2008, 04:11:03 »
personally I'm not so fond of the idea because the dial doesn't move too easily and I'm afraid it might wear out or even break. I'd rather push buttons. maybe the code should be user customisable anyway.

offtopic: Barney you've reached 1000 posts  :D

« Reply #18 on: 07 / April / 2008, 04:23:45 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:34:51 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #19 on: 31 / July / 2008, 06:07:30 »
In the case of a stolen phone, a PIN code might work great along with a splash screen.  Here's my idea.  The splash screen could say something like,

"Error: this camera has failed Canon's diagnostic tests and is considered defective.  It was manufactured in July 2008.  If returned within five years of the manufacturing date, we will gladly replace it for free under warranty within 10 business days.  Please return to:
Canon Repair Center
<YOUR ADDRESS HERE>"

So my idea is to trick a stupid thief (or buyer) into mailing it back to you.  Plus they'll stupidly include their own mailing address.  You could mail 'em a dead fish.  Hopefully they won't test it with another SD card.  The camera wouldn't finish booting until you enter a PIN.  A menu option could enable/disable this feature.

A solution for a lost camera is to just put your name and email address on a sticker.

An anti-theft trick I came up with (original?) is to use Canon's PC software to program my phone number into the "Camera Owner" field.  This way the camera puts it into every photo as an EXIF tag.  If it gets stolen I can search the web (or Flickr) for my phone number (assuming the owner ever posts their pics).  I tested this on Flickr and it does indeed show up in searches.  This could potentially get the camera back from an ethical person who bought the camera not realizing it was stolen.  You'd merely need to email them and perhaps offer a small reward.  And with any luck, they might notice the EXIF data and give you a call out of the blue someday.  OK, they'd have to be *really* ethical....A potential new feature for CHDK would be to support even more EXIF fields to include your email address or other info.

Does anyone know if there's a way to write code directly into on-camera Flash (amending Canon's code)?  Or must all hacked Canon code execute out of an SD card?