CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie! - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!

• 83 Replies
CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!
« on: 26 / May / 2008, 15:57:53 »
Advertisements
Hello newcomer!

CHDK is a sort of complicated business, but some valuable members have made the trouble of making things simple for you...

See these threads for guidance:

Thread: Newbie issues, still - [CHDK for Dummies - The Very First Steps]
Thread (WIP): CHDK End-User's Guide 03  - 16-MAY-08
Wikia (WIP): User:Intrnst - CHDK Wiki

Also, and very important:
http://chdk.wikia.com
Sections: FAQ and Firmware usage.

Finally, please ask your newbie questions at the board below, and here only!!The "Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes)" BOARD

Have fun!

« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2009, 08:14:17 by acseven »

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
Re: CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: 03 / June / 2008, 21:06:49 »
Alright Newbies, do you want a step by step guide, with a video explanation on how to install CHDK? You've got it!

I just posted it to CHDK For Newbies - How To Install - CHDK Wiki.

NOTE to All: The video is up, but not fully (the last few parts got cut off  :'(. I am uploading the not cut off version. The quality is not too great (since I am doing this in a somewhat dark room). I will upload a better version on Saturday, when I can do it in the morning :). If you find ANY errors/suggestions whatsoever, PLEASE post them (even if they are really small). I would like to make this video as easy as possible :)
« Last Edit: 03 / June / 2008, 21:58:58 by adcz »
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #2 on: 06 / June / 2008, 11:38:11 »

I've just watched your video. Put couple comments at the discussion page.
CHDK Developer.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #3 on: 06 / June / 2008, 17:32:36 »
Yeah, thanks :) DataGhost told me. I am planning to redo the vid this weekend (or next because I have SATIIs on Saturday)

I've just watched your video. Put couple comments at the discussion page.
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #4 on: 06 / June / 2008, 17:49:49 »
Nice video! You speak very clearly, which is important for  non native english speakers.

If you are going to redo it, I suggest you mention which cameras need cardtricks in the first place. I mean, your actual video doesn't apply for S3 users. It could cause confusion among newbies.

When it is finished, you can post it in s5users.com forum as well. It will be of great help there. Some people don't use CHDK because its very difficult to install.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #5 on: 06 / June / 2008, 17:55:42 »
Nice video! You speak very clearly, which is important for  non native english speakers.

If you are going to redo it, I suggest you mention which cameras need cardtricks in the first place. I mean, your actual video doesn't apply for S3 users. It could cause confusion among newbies.
I though CardTricks works with any camera...

When it is finished, you can post it in s5users.com forum as well. It will be of great help there. Some people don't use CHDK because its very difficult to install.
Yup :) I certainly will. I hope it helps ppl to get CHDK :D. And it seems that even I am learning something from making this video. I finally figured out the thing with version numbers :P
---

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #6 on: 07 / June / 2008, 02:01:22 »
You speak very clearly, which is important for  non native english speakers.

+1
It was one of the rare cases when I did recognize all words from first try. :D
(Heh... I wish me to speak English fluently like adcz... :-[ But I'm afraid it's impossible for me without living in English-speaking country and because I'm already too old for that. Adcz mentioned he knows Russian. Are you from Russia? How long are you living in US?)

Yes, it does. But for VxWorks-based cams it is unnecessary to make SD-card bootable. Therefore it is not needed to format it as FAT16 if you do not want use autoboot feature in future.
CHDK Developer.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #7 on: 07 / June / 2008, 12:29:47 »
Thanks GrAnd :).

I was born in Moscow, Russia, then when I was 3 I moved to the US (now 15, almost 16). I talk a lot of Russian @ home because my mom's horrible in english, and I can write a bit in translit (nada kogdata pogovorit' po irc po translitu :)), even though my spelling is way off. Well I am glad that at least I have one useful quality for CHDK :P

+1
(Heh... I wish me to speak English fluently like adcz... :-[ But I'm afraid it's impossible for me without living in English-speaking country and because I'm already too old for that. Adcz mentioned he knows Russian. Are you from Russia? How long are you living in US?)

Yes, it does. But for VxWorks-based cams it is unnecessary to make SD-card bootable. Therefore it is not needed to format it as FAT16 if you do not want use autoboot feature in future.
+1

Hmm..that's nice to know. (which cams use VxWorks btw :D)
« Last Edit: 07 / June / 2008, 12:31:43 by adcz »
---

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #8 on: 07 / June / 2008, 14:13:57 »
@adcz

- DL the trunk sources https://tools.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk
- unzip to folder of your choice
- in the 'include' subdirectory, search for camera.h
- property #defines for supported cams are in there, look for
  CAM_HAS_DRYOS, or sth like that (sorry, no source handy at the moment)

wim

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #9 on: 07 / June / 2008, 14:18:26 »
@adcz

also in the wikia Cameras overview...