sx700 porting - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

sx700 porting

• 184 Replies
Re: sx700 porting
« Reply #20 on: 31 / March / 2015, 09:24:37 »
Advertisements
I am also a new buyer of the SX700HS and I really wish to be able to activate the RAW mode.
As I understand there is not enough programmers to create a full build for this camera but at least is it possible that anybody just post a way to allow the camera to take pictures in RAW mode?
For the most part,  the amount of work (coding & testing) necessary to get CHDK running well enough to enable RAW images is pretty much the same amount of work needed to make a complete port.  There are no worthwhile shortcuts.

A SX700 port will get done when somebody with the necessary software skills, time, desire, and access to the camera volunteers to perform the port.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #21 on: 31 / March / 2015, 13:52:31 »
To give a status update: my last conversation with antwtna was almost 2 months ago.
The work he has done so far:
- almost all so-called firmware stubs are identified (for the 100d fw version)
- a test diskboot.bin was successfully tested (this only means a few startup routines, just enough to boot the original firmware)

However, this is still true:
A SX700 port will get done when somebody with the necessary software skills, time, desire, and access to the camera volunteers to perform the port.

« Reply #22 on: 18 / May / 2015, 06:35:01 »
Where to get the newest version of this port? I know, that is only an alpha.
(A 410), SX 200, (SX 280), SX 700

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #23 on: 18 / May / 2015, 14:02:54 »
Where to get the newest version of this port?
The source repo was linked on the 2nd page of this thread.
I know, that is only an alpha.
Not alpha, the current code doesn't even start CHDK.

« Reply #24 on: 21 / May / 2015, 01:54:28 »
Is it possible to promote, donate this project to achieve at least a working alpha version?

« Reply #25 on: 24 / August / 2015, 05:46:16 »
Hi,
I just want to give an update about the situation of this porting.

Thanks to a bit of free time and the help and suggestions of srsa_4c, the repo at this link has been updated and the last revision 9, the languages files should be aligned to build 1.4.0 now.8 is now aligned to build 1.4.0 of chdk. The only folder that is not aligned to this build is the <trunk>\CHDK\LANG, so if anyone tries to compile it will get an error due to language files not being aligned. I will align them in the next revision, just taking them from official repo, so if anyone tries to compile just keep this in mind.

Reported a correction in the loader that could cause issues, taken from sx280 repo.

The port is still far from being working, but at least the actual code starts the minimal spytask and physw_task. The actual behaviour is that the diskboot.bin is loaded using a locked SD card and playback mode, chdk logo is shown and the memory card is not locked.

Loading of minimal binary using firmware update worked before, now it does not seem to work (file update error!).

I tried and I am trying to connect with chdkptp on windows, and I am able to, but most of the functions does not seem to work properly. Chdkptp is able to read memory (rmem), but file listing is not working (i see a camera folder and a dummy folder inside), any kind of pushbutton I press on the interface gives me a "Compile error" in the console.
Also I tried to upload a newer diskboot.bin (u <mypath>\bin\DISKBOOT.BIN) respect to the one present in the SD card, and I got in the console something like "<mypath>\bin\DISKBOOT.BIN->A/DISKBOOT.BIN". So apparently no problem, but when I tried to reboot I could see the build was always the old one (the build number and date is shown into the chdk logo), so the upload did not effectively work.
So, if anyone more experienced has any suggestion it's gladly accepted :)

Updates about debugging:
- tried open-write-close sequence of little text file, writing return values in unused RAM and retrieving them using chdkptp and rmem. I see open seems to work, while write and close both give 0xFFFFFFFF (-1), so error.
- tried in the same way fopen-fwrite-fclose sequence. fopen and fwrite seem to work properly, while fclose alway returns 0xFFFFFFFF (-1). Verified that the fwrite effectively writes the file buffer.
- tried to bypass semaphore in wrappers.c, but the behaviour is the same, so the issue seems to be different.
- tried to add the startupchecks substitution, but still same behaviour as before...
« Last Edit: 04 / September / 2015, 05:37:28 by antwtna »

« Reply #26 on: 09 / September / 2015, 05:35:47 »
Hi,
an update of the situation. Yesterday I tried to re-compile from a clean repository and I realized the behavior was different from what I saw from my main repository :(
I realized I had some local files and folders that had been removed from the tools folder (edit: the main diff seemed to be in gui_osd.c in the core folder) in svn when I aligned the repository to the build 1.4.0, but remained in the local repository.

The behavior now is that the camera starts, the chdk logo is shown. Afterward as soon as I try to connect with chdkptp, after a little bit of time, the camera display flashes white and the camera shuts off. I retrieved two romlogs from two similar crashes, and I share them with you here.

I would try to solve this issue, before of going on.
« Last Edit: 26 / September / 2015, 07:44:03 by antwtna »

« Reply #27 on: 25 / September / 2015, 12:12:15 »
Unfortunately I don't have technical expertise to offer, but I would happily make a donation to someone to get CHDK up and running on the SX700HS.

The camera allows long exposures and high ISO, but in incredibly annoying fashion it does not allow both simultaneously - any exposure time above 1" is constrained to ISO 100. Why have a manual mode and then pointlessly restrict settings?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 25 / September / 2015, 12:18:29 by northumbrian »

« Reply #28 on: 26 / September / 2015, 13:35:47 »
Unfortunately I don't have technical expertise to offer, but I would happily make a donation to someone to get CHDK up and running on the SX700HS.
As nobody has responded to your offer,  I guess I'll point out that doing a complete CHDK port can take at least 16 hours if really you know what you are doing and there are no surprises.  A more normal amount of time for someone new is probably over 40 hours - but that's just my guess. 

So in general,  nobody usually does a port for money as not many people are willing to come up with the one to five thousand dollars that would make doing the port worthwhile.  Although I think some people may have been willing to do a port for less in the past.   To make it harder, I think I can almost count on one hand the number of people who still follow this forum that have done more than one port themselves.

I also know of several ports that have been done in simple in exchange for supplying the person doing the port with the camera being ported (which they then keep).

Sorry - in most cases getting a port done is a question of luck and being in the right place with the right camera at the right time.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #29 on: 28 / September / 2015, 03:08:14 »
I will donate for the port too. So we are two.  :)