KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 50 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #490 on: 23 / June / 2015, 08:23:26 »
Advertisements
  • thanks - I'll take a look
  • The script handles the aperture automatically for cameras (like the S100, S110) that actually have one.  A complete description of how that works can be found here : Exposure_Calculation_Algorithm
  • noted
  • "this is a foamy" Does that imply that it's a fixed wing airplane rather than a quad/hex copter ?  If so,  one simple test would be to shoot at maximum airspeed for a few seconds and then turn off the motor and continue shooting while gliding.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #491 on: 23 / June / 2015, 09:27:11 »
4. Yes, it is a fixed wing. I did a test and it seems that no significant vibration is transmitted to the camera.

6. further testing reveals that regardless what setting I have in the script it still overrides and goes to lower shutter speeds. I have "TV Min" and "Target TV" both set at 1/2000 and script is still able to shoot with 1/640.

7. SHouldn't CHDK override all camera settings? I get "Camera ISO not in AUTO mode" when the knob on the top is turned to Manual. I don't get that when it is in auto mode. However in both cases the ISO is 1600.

S110, SX200is,

« Reply #492 on: 23 / June / 2015, 10:33:52 »
5. Yea - I noticed that too.  I've made a number of "usability" changes in the PWM code and fixed that too.  I'll post an updated script tonight after I do a little more testing. 

Can you PM me the gentwire PWM code you are using with the script ?

6.  I'll need to see the script log as that is not what is supposed to happen.  Unfotunately, your version does not log the exposure settings - something else fixed in the new version.

7. THe script will override all camera settings but there are reports of some cameras not accepting ISO setpoints when the camera is not in ISO Auto mode.  The message you get is just a warning that you can ignore if you are in M mode.   If you put the camera in P mode,  the message should go away and everything will still work.   I don't reccomend using AUTO mode as this enables autofocus on some cameras and interfers with the camera's ability to focus at infinity.

« Reply #493 on: 23 / June / 2015, 12:29:28 »
Hello,

After a break I have done some trials using my wing and KAP 3_5 version.

From my point of view the quality of the pictures could be improved - for me are blurry-  but I do not know with what parameter I must play , any advice ?

Attached some pictures and kap.log file.

Thank you.

http://fastupload.ro/6896760a1a8baba368bb6f844dbc0473.html

« Reply #494 on: 23 / June / 2015, 13:41:48 »
From my point of view the quality of the pictures could be improved - for me are blurry-  but I do not know with what parameter I must play , any advice ?
CHDK cannot make your camera better than it is.  But it can help you get the most out of your camera.

Blurry images with UAV shooting are principally caused by four things.  These are :
  • Shutter speed too slow.
  • Focus not set at infinity
  • Vibration from the UAV motors.
  • Poor choice of camera settings.

1) In your KAP log, the shutter speed for your images is 1/2000.  Which is about as high as you can reasonably expect the camera to shoot and should be good enough.

2) Your focus is reported to be set at infinity.  Unfortunately,  while this normally works well, we have seen several examples of cameras that do not actually focus at infinity when told to do so.  If yours is like that (see below) then you should probably disable the  Focus @ Infinity option and let the camera attempt to auto focus.

3) Vibration can be a big problem for UAV's.  See below for a suggestion on how to pointpoint this as a possible problem.  Also, as you are using an S100,  you might find this link interesting : Let's talk Canon cameras

4) As far as camera settings go,  your CHDK 3.5 log does not report all the settings we care about. But it does tell me that you have continuous autofocus and servo autofocus enabled.  Which suggests you have the camera in AUTO mode rather than P mode?  And that servo autofocus is enabled in the Canon menus?  As complete list of recommended camera setting is here : Camera Settings

Testing
To identify possible issues with focus and vibration,  it is important to test on the ground.  Go outdoors, tip your UAV on its side,  point it at some distant scenery or buildings, and let the script take several photos.   Examine the results for sharpness and blur.  Disable the Focus @ Infinity setting and repeat the test.  If the second test is better than the first then your camera is not really focussing at infinity so disable that option.  If all the pictures still look good on the ground then you need to look seriously at the vibration mounting for your camera.

HTH

« Reply #495 on: 23 / June / 2015, 17:04:35 »
Many thanks for the guidelines!

Tomorrow I will do some flights in Auto and P mode with and without the Focus @ infinity enabled/disabled.

I will come back with the feedback.

Thank you again.

« Reply #496 on: 23 / June / 2015, 17:08:30 »
I suggest that you NOT use Auto mode.

« Reply #497 on: 23 / June / 2015, 17:43:49 »
I suggest that you NOT use Auto mode.

OK, understood :) , I will do only P mode with the Focus @ infinity enabled/disabled.

Thank you.

« Reply #498 on: 23 / June / 2015, 17:50:23 »
Genlewire gets 1100/1500/1900 PWM from the autopilot on each channel.  From gentlewire we have the pulses you are familiar too. I feel too that the pulse error comes from the missing gap. I mainly get that when the system is desarmed. GW gets 5 volts, but no signal. I can live with it for now.
I just noticed this in the gentWIRE-USB2 manual :

"In addition to the above, a 210mS pulse will be sent every 5 seconds if neither servo is connected to a RC receiver"

I'm not sure what James meant by using the word "neither" rather than "either" but it might explain all those extra entries in the log.

I do have a question about the gentWIRE-USB2 that you might be able to answer.  Does it send a single pulse when the RC receiver servo channel changes or continual pulses for the current servo position?
« Last Edit: 24 / June / 2015, 14:47:02 by waterwingz »

« Reply #499 on: 23 / June / 2015, 18:29:37 »
...OOOOPS I didn't get that far in the user manual  :( I stopped at the table above that note.

RC recevier / autopilot is providing continuously the PWM value not only when change happens. that is why you see so many CH2MID in my logs: ch2 trim is set to 1500.
at the begining of each shooting session you will see many 210s .
before I activate the output the wire gets only 5 volts and no signal.

I am really looking forward to test the new version!
S110, SX200is,