refine simple interval script for power consumption - Script Writing - CHDK Forum  

refine simple interval script for power consumption

• 3 Replies

Offline jt256

refine simple interval script for power consumption
« on: 29 / May / 2009, 09:57:19 »
Advertisements
First timer here, I'm amazed how easy it's been to create some beautiful 1600 x 1200 time lapse jpg sequences (made into movie in quicktime).

As you can see I've gone a bit crazy trying to switch the lcd off to minimise power consumption:

Code: [Select]
@title John's Panoramamaker
@param a Delay (secs)
@default a 5

goto "loop"

:loop
  set_backlight(0)
  sleep(50)
  shoot
  sleep(50)
  set_backlight(0)
  sleep(50)
  set_backlight(0)
  sleep a*1000
  goto "loop"

If anyone can suggest any other ways to get maximum battery life from my little Ixus 75 please let me know.

Thanks, John

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
Re: refine simple interval script for power consumption
« Reply #1 on: 29 / May / 2009, 12:27:23 »
If you plug in the AV-Cable Display is also switched off, indeed anything that has the shape of the plug will work.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #2 on: 29 / May / 2009, 12:39:18 »
If you plug in the AV-Cable Display is also switched off, indeed anything that has the shape of the plug will work.

Yes, that will save more power if your delay is very short. But if your delay is not very short, that set_backlight saves more (because the video output driver consumes current in the av plug trick).

Switching the display off using the display button (either by the script or before you run it) should save even more than either of the above (because sensor is also powered off), at least if delay is not very short. The problem with this solution is that manual focus cannot be used.

Offline an0n

« Reply #3 on: 29 / May / 2009, 22:26:36 »

Just to be extra safe it would be advisable to use a non-conducting material, such as plastic knitting needle.
A720IS.