Canon G7X Mark II CHDK - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum  

Canon G7X Mark II CHDK

• 20 Replies
Canon G7X Mark II CHDK
« on: 01 / August / 2018, 02:42:35 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I have a problem with my G7X m2. I want to recording video but you know that, it has a video limit(4GB for FAT32 or 29:59 taxes things) I already searched all solutions. For example hdmi video recording devices.. I can buy hdmi video recording device but G7X M2 closing screen in 3 mins. Also I already searched CHDK but I found just a link for G7X;

https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13279.0

If this topic help me for use "Continuous Video Scripts  - automatic restart of video  recording after Canon time limit reached" chdk script my problem is solved. Please help me.

Re: Canon G7X Mark II CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 01 / August / 2018, 09:45:56 »
Sorry, but CHDK has not been ported to run on the G7X Mark II.  Here's a link to help understand what that means.

link> CHDK FAQ : My camera isn't ported yet
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 21 / May / 2021, 17:19:09 »
For anyone coming to this old thread: G7X Mark II is now supported by CHDK, and it can prevent it from turning off the screen when using HDMI (https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=14356.msg146162#msg146162)

« Reply #3 on: 10 / December / 2021, 22:34:09 »
Tapping onto this long-dormant thread because it's the only one I've found specifically about the G7X MkII.

Has anyone worked manual focus into any CHDK scripts on the G7X2? 

Read on if you care for the details of what I've found and what I'm asking...

Specifically, I'm trying to set up a G7X2 for a long-term intervalometer.  Daylight photos work fine with
autofocus.  Night-time hours...not-so-much.  You might think that night-time photos don't matter
much, but long exposures, moonlight, light pollution from the city across the river, and lights on a few radio
towers all can make for some surprisingly pleasant night-time photos...when they're in focus.  And the auto-focus is maybe 70% in dim light.  (By the way, it has worked pretty well with a G12 with pics every 30 minutes on a 32GB card each year for 7 years by setting the MF first --- now looking for higher resolution photos now with the G7X2.)

I have been testing my G7X2 with CHDK scripts for a few weeks now.  I have it loaded with the proper version (CHDK 1.5.1-6023 g7x2 110b) and it largely works...except for manual focus.  I've tried everything I can think of.  Lua and bas scripts (I'm coding bas but have tried some existing lua scripts).  Bootable and non-bootable SD cards.  Set_aflock, set_mf and set_focus.  M/P/Av.  MF set before script start and within the script.  With experimentation, I figured out the zoom I need (set_zoom 44 gives me the 15.2mm focal length that works).

Best I can tell it's after the set_focus 65535 (infinity) and at the shoot or click "shoot_full" where the camera crashes.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 10 / December / 2021, 23:04:38 »
I have been testing my G7X2 with CHDK scripts for a few weeks now.  I have it loaded with the proper version (CHDK 1.5.1-6023 g7x2 110b) and it largely works...except for manual focus.  I've tried everything I can think of.  Lua and bas scripts (I'm coding bas but have tried some existing lua scripts).  Bootable and non-bootable SD cards.  Set_aflock, set_mf and set_focus.  M/P/Av.  MF set before script start and within the script.  With experimentation, I figured out the zoom I need (set_zoom 44 gives me the 15.2mm focal length that works).

Best I can tell it's after the set_focus 65535 (infinity) and at the shoot or click "shoot_full" where the camera crashes.
According to the port's platform_camera.h, SD override is expected to work in MF and AF Lock. I would be somewhat surprised if @philmoz set this without testing, so there's a good chance some setting works...

Canon settings like Continuous AF, Servo AF, and Safety MF can interfere with CHDK overrides.

Also FWIW, if you do get it working, "infinity" is probably larger than 65535 (depending on zoom)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 11 / December / 2021, 09:46:46 »
Thanks reyalp.  I do have Continuous AF off, Safety MF off, and AF operation set to ONE SHOT rather than SERVO.  I don't doubt there's some setting somewhere that I have amiss and I'll keep looking.  Any other suggestions for what to check or how to troubleshoot are welcome.  Also, any intervalometer scripts with MF that have been proven to work on the G7X2 are most welcome.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 11 / December / 2021, 15:05:17 »
Also, any intervalometer scripts with MF that have been proven to work on the G7X2 are most welcome.
There shouldn't really be a need to try a whole bunch of scripts, the underlying operations are the same. What I would do is reduce it to the minimal case: A script that (optionally) calls set_mf / set_aflock, set_focus, and shoot. I would have a delay like 500ms between each step.

You can then test the various permutations, like setting MF in the Canon UI beforehand, using script to set MF/AF lock and so on.

If it crashes with all of these, then it's presumably a bug in the port, and extremely unlikely some other random script is going to help.

It would also be helpful if you can upload a romlog from the crash, see  https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_.28romlog.29

Hopefully we can figure out a fix, but failing that, you could resort to using key scripted key presses and get_focus().
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #7 on: 11 / December / 2021, 16:17:24 »
In lua, not old ubasic, asking print(set_mf(1)) should return 1 .
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Script_commands#set_mf

If You prefere a 2nd ubasic then print set_mf(1) should return 1, too.  :)

All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: 12 / December / 2021, 15:50:06 »

The G7X2 only supports SD overrides (set_focus) if the camera is in MF or AFL modes. It will fail / crash if the camera is in normal AF mode.

Scripts need to call set_mf or set_aflock before calling set_focus.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #9 on: 26 / December / 2021, 18:29:44 »
I am still trying to have an intervalometer script (.bas) work on my G7X2 with focus at infinity. Why infinity rather than autofocus?  The script must run at night and AF doesn't work well in poor light.  So far it is getting that infinite focus that is the trouble. 

I have these pertinent settings in the camera:
-- AF Operation      ONE SHOT
-- AF Method      1-point AF
-- Continuous AF   Off
-- Safety MF      Off
-- ISO Speed      200
-- Auto Power Down   Off
-- Display Off      20 sec.
-- Lens Retraction   1 min.

No expert here, but I have done a fair bit of testing with various settings and scripts and logs, including:
-- use of bootable and non-bootable SD cards,
-- different camera modes (M and P mostly),
-- manually setting MF and focus at infinity vs.
      using overrides to set manual focus at infinity vs.
      setting it by script,
-- use of set/get_mf, set/get_aflock and set/get_focus.

Bottom line, here are my findings:
-- General scripting operation is fine, including loops, set_zoom, sleeps, and shooting.
-- set/get_mf 1 works fine, but the actually setting a focus crashes.
-- when using manual preset or overrides, even when I should have focus as infinity, get_focus always shows 51 and the pictures, per my observation, are far short of focus at infinity.
-- the camera consistently crashes in scripts at any set_focus or set_aflock 1 command.

Attached are two ROMLOGs.
-- ROMLOG17 - MF at infinity. Mode P. scripted set_focus 65530. Crash.
-- ROMLOG18 - MF at infinity. Mode P. scripted set_aflock 1. Crash.

Thanks for whatever help or advice anyone can offer.