(Optical zoom in video mode on) SD1100 / IXUS 80 IS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

(Optical zoom in video mode on) SD1100 / IXUS 80 IS

• 7 Replies
(Optical zoom in video mode on) SD1100 / IXUS 80 IS
« on: 14 / March / 2009, 20:57:49 »
Advertisements
Since the WIKI entry http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SD1100IS is rather confusing as it proclaims to be out of date, I would like to ask a few questions (and post a few findings not explained in the wiki) regarding the 2 cameras (1.01a) I just bought and CHDK (ixus80_sd1100-101a-0.9.7-719-full):

- The camera does not support USB "mass storage protocol"

- I use a 8 GB SDHC Card (preformatted with fat32) which is identified with "7.9 GB" (setup menu, formatting option). Have not filled her up yet, so I don't know what happens after 4 GB.

- Since I don't have a SDHC/USB device I have formatted a 1 GB SD card with fat16 and set the bootable flag, so this is where CHDK runs from.

- Instructions in the WIKI and in distributed install.txt are inconsistant and did not apply to my case. "update firmware" has moved up a menu level and seemed necessary to run CHDK.

- make bootable should be explained to just set the boot flag of the memory card's partition

- video parameters > enable optical zoom does not have any effect (can't zoom with the zoom wheel)

- overlay video quality and remaining time ("both") is shown even when recording is stopped

- How exactly does CHDK "overlay" the DryOS functionality? I mean basically this is not new firmware, but just an additional level !?

- How does the autoboot-on-card-lock feature work without changing the original firmware?

Re: (Optical zoom in video mode on) SD1100 / IXUS 80 IS
« Reply #1 on: 14 / March / 2009, 21:21:50 »
OK the card issues are explained on http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 14 / March / 2009, 21:45:49 »
- The camera does not support USB "mass storage protocol"
Not sure what your point is. No remotely recent powershots do, and CHDK does not change this.
- I use a 8 GB SDHC Card (preformatted with fat32) which is identified with "7.9 GB" (setup menu, formatting option). Have not filled her up yet, so I don't know what happens after 4 GB.
Normal 1024 vs 1000 inconsistency, and FAT32 supports over 4gb, so nothing special should happen.
- Since I don't have a SDHC/USB device I have formatted a 1 GB SD card with fat16 and set the bootable flag, so this is where CHDK runs from.
Set the bootable flag how ? The canon bootable flag is not standard.
- Instructions in the WIKI and in distributed install.txt are inconsistant and did not apply to my case. "update firmware" has moved up a menu level and seemed necessary to run CHDK.
If you want the wiki to be clarified, please specify which particular instructions you are talking about. Similarly, if there's a section of the install.txt you find confusing or incorrect, please specify which one.
- make bootable should be explained to just set the boot flag of the memory card's partition
No it should not, since that isn't what it does.
- How exactly does CHDK "overlay" the DryOS functionality? I mean basically this is not new firmware, but just an additional level !?

- How does the autoboot-on-card-lock feature work without changing the original firmware?
It's loaded into memory, either when you do the "firm update" with a CHDK fir/fi2 file, or at boot time if you have the bootable flag set correctly and diskboot.bin in place. In either case, it performs a modified version of the canon startup which mostly reuses the canon code, but adds our own stuff at key points.

As for the optical zoom in video, either it's not correctly implemented for that camera, or you are doing something wrong ;)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 15 / March / 2009, 04:40:10 »
Hi reyalp,

thanks for your reply.
I would like to .... post a few findings not explained in the wiki.

I'm sure after a few hundred posts you're familiar with CHDK, but as a total newbie I found the wiki to not easily reveal the information I was looking for.

Some of my questions are answered now, so thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 15 / March / 2009, 15:45:38 »
Hi reyalp,

thanks for your reply.
I would like to .... post a few findings not explained in the wiki.

I'm sure after a few hundred posts you're familiar with CHDK, but as a total newbie I found the wiki to not easily reveal the information I was looking for.
I completely agree the wiki is a mess. What I'm trying to get at is if you think a particular part is wrong or confusing, telling us exactly which part you had trouble with will help us make it better.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 17 / March / 2009, 17:01:47 »
So there's a confirmation of my problem in the German CHDK forum http://www.wirklemms.de/chdk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8595 - it does not matter whether digital zoom is enabled or before starting recording the optical zoom is partially used, I am unable to zoom in video mode.. :-(