ELPH 300HS manual aperture for time-lapse - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

ELPH 300HS manual aperture for time-lapse

• 4 Replies
ELPH 300HS manual aperture for time-lapse
« on: 16 / July / 2014, 19:01:26 »
Advertisements
I'm curious as to a method to manually adjust a fixed aperture setting for time-lapse use.  This is to help prevent flicker during time-lapses with rapidly changing lighting.  Being able to set the aperture would also help with DOF.

I've looked through some of the time-lapse scripts but haven't run across one that would let me manually set the aperture to my liking (besides sunset scripts but they have un-useful shutter speeds).  I did see one with exposure look but I imagine that locks the shutter speed as well.

Thanks

Re: ELPH 300HS manual aperture for time-lapse
« Reply #1 on: 16 / July / 2014, 19:25:21 »
I'm curious as to a method to manually adjust a fixed aperture setting for time-lapse use.  This is to help prevent flicker during time-lapses with rapidly changing lighting.  Being able to set the aperture would also help with DOF.

I've looked through some of the time-lapse scripts but haven't run across one that would let me manually set the aperture to my liking (besides sunset scripts but they have un-useful shutter speeds).  I did see one with exposure look but I imagine that locks the shutter speed as well.
Like most small P&S cameras,  and especially Canon's ELPH cameras,  the ELPH 300 does not have an adjustable aperture.  It's fixed "wide open" - although the actual opening size will vary with zoom position.

So there is no way to adjust the aperture setting with CHDK or otherwise because there is no adjustable aperature in the first place.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 16 / July / 2014, 23:07:49 »

Like most small P&S cameras,  and especially Canon's ELPH cameras,  the ELPH 300 does not have an adjustable aperture.  It's fixed "wide open" - although the actual opening size will vary with zoom position.

So there is no way to adjust the aperture setting with CHDK or otherwise because there is no adjustable aperature in the first place.

I was afraid of that.   I wonder what the next step up would be for a CHDK camera with better features like full manual.  Nothing pricey, a used or older model camera?

Thanks Wingz

« Reply #3 on: 17 / July / 2014, 09:26:36 »
I was afraid of that.   I wonder what the next step up would be for a CHDK camera with better features like full manual.  Nothing pricey, a used or older model camera?
If you are looking for something recent, I think that means the G9-G15 series (pricey top of line),  S90-S110 (smaller, a bit cheaper, well regarded) or the SX10-SX50 series (mega zoom).  An S95, if you can get a good used price, would be a nice choice.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 17 / July / 2014, 19:01:18 »
If you are looking for something recent, I think that means the G9-G15 series (pricey top of line),  S90-S110 (smaller, a bit cheaper, well regarded) or the SX10-SX50 series (mega zoom).  An S95, if you can get a good used price, would be a nice choice.

I was looking at the S95 and S100.  Both on eBay used cost just a bit more than my ELPH 300 used cost me.  Since I will only use this camera for TL, wide angle is preferable and the S100 is 24mm as opposed to the S95 at 28mm.  The S100 might be a good choice and I too have heard of its good IQ.

Thanks