Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install

• 16 Replies
Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install
« on: 26 / June / 2020, 11:22:31 »
Advertisements
Hi. I've been trying to get the CHDK into my PowerShot A590, but no luck.
I've tried with 32GB SD, and three different ways: using STICK, using LICKS and manually.
My computer runs Linux Mint, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

A590 seems to format the SD as FAT32 whether it's 4GB or 32GB.
Both STICK and LICKS want to format the 32GB SD as a 4GB FAT16 and 28GB FAT32.
With STICK the copying of files fail, and it looks like if the  SD has FAT16, the camera says "no memory card". I can't even re-format it with the camera. If I format the SD with GParted as a single FAT32 partition, the camera seems happy.

If I format the 32GB SD as FAT32 and copy the files on it (everything under Stable CHDK/a590-101b) and put it into the camera, the camera starts, but the 'menu' is gone.
I can't start with the play-button, because the camera has record/play switch, and it doesn't turn the camera ON - nor does any other button, except power on/off.

The build was downloaded by STICK.

I also tried with LICKS (both 4GB/FAT16 + 28GB/FAT32 and 32GB/FAT32) and then copying the files (under Stable CHDK/a590-101b) CHDK-directory on FAT32 and other (files) at the same level as the CHDK on FAT16. No deal, Also tried copying them all on the single FAT32, but no luck there either.

What should I try next?
Nobody doesn't happen to have a disk image of a working 32MB SD-card that I could just 'dd' onto my SD-card?

Re: Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install
« Reply #1 on: 26 / June / 2020, 12:17:34 »
Log attached.
This time old 4GB card.

I made the partition manually with fdisk without problems (using the same fdisk commands).
Also the formatting succeeds when done manually. It must be those text outputs that don't quite match...

BTW, does the FAT16 need be type 4 or can it be type 6?
« Last Edit: 26 / June / 2020, 16:53:29 by turboscrew »

« Reply #2 on: 26 / June / 2020, 16:54:55 »
Have you tried running STICK as root? 
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #3 on: 27 / June / 2020, 05:49:08 »
Yes, because I thought that disk operations - even on memory card - probably require root privileges.

« Reply #4 on: 27 / June / 2020, 06:01:54 »
Yes! Yes! Yes!  :D

After manually partitioning and formatting the old 4GB card as one FAT16 partition, STICK succeeded, and the result seemed to work in my camera.

If I try that with the 32GB SD, do the partition names matter?

« Reply #5 on: 27 / June / 2020, 07:06:02 »
I wrote this once already, but during my typing, the system time-logged me out, and the posting was gone!

Once again with copy-paste method (I write in a text editor and copy-paste into a post).

I managed to get the 32GB card to work too. What I did, was:

I inserted the card in the memory card reader of my laptop.
I umounted all disks related to mmcblk0.

I partitioned the card using GParted as
1: primary, FAT16, 4GB, label=BOOT
2: primary, FAT32, rest of the disk, label=LARGE

With fdisk I changed the type of BOOT from 6 to 4 and reformatted it:
"sudo mkdosfs -F 16 -n BOOT /dev/mmcblk0p1"

I umounted all disks related to mmcblk0, removed the card and re-insetred it.

I run the STICK as root.
It failed the installation, but managed to make the BOOT bootable and copied the files there.

I umounted all disks related to mmcblk0, removed the card and re-insetred it.
Using the file manager, I copied the CHDK directory from the downloaded build to LARGE.

I umounted all disks related to mmcblk0, removed the card, turned the write lock ON and inserted the card into my camera. After turning on the power in my camera, the CHDK-loge emerged.

« Reply #6 on: 27 / June / 2020, 07:09:27 »
Oh and special thanks for the developers of making the installation "modular", so that manual "tampering" is possible!

« Reply #7 on: 27 / June / 2020, 07:52:08 »
Oh and special thanks for the developers of making the installation "modular", so that manual "tampering" is possible!
Kind of like this :  CHDK Wiki : Prepare your SD card - Linux

« Reply #8 on: 27 / June / 2020, 08:08:00 »
Kind of like this :  CHDK Wiki : Prepare your SD card - Linux

Yes, much like it. Note that there are two partition types for FAT16: 4 and 6. GParted uses 6, but 4 seems to be the one to use.

Also my camera also formats 4GB card as FAT32.

Also funny, I found a somewhat similar wiki page, even with a quite similar name, but much less informative.
« Last Edit: 27 / June / 2020, 08:14:56 by turboscrew »

« Reply #9 on: 27 / June / 2020, 08:15:06 »
Also funny, I found a somewhat similar wiki page, even with a quite similar name, but much less informative.
Link to that page?

It's somewhat unfortunate, but in the early days of CHDK many people tried to "help" by writing up what they believed was the correct way to install CHDK.  Typically those write-ups were limited in scope to their use case and frequently were misleading or just plain wrong. 

And many of the YouTube video's are even worse.

The Prepare you SD Card Wiki page is an attempt to capture all CHDK installation methhods in one place and correct the errors.  AFAIK it succeeded in doing both things although it's quite large and hard to digest at one sitting as a result.

Most people can get STICK or CHIMP working these days - the author of STICK is quite responsive if you'd like to figure out why it did not work for you?