Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install

• 16 Replies
Re: Canon PowerShot A590 IS - can't install
« Reply #10 on: 27 / June / 2020, 08:34:26 »
Advertisements
I think I found that page though some old posting.
I wish I would have found the right one first.

I think the STICK script fails due to problems with mounts and umounts. Either the checks of returned strings or too early actions (umount fails due to disk not ready).

BTW, does it matter if the FAT16-partition is of type 4 (FAT16 < 32M) or type 6 (FAT16)?
The STICK uses type 4.

« Reply #11 on: 27 / June / 2020, 08:42:43 »
I think I found that page though some old posting. I wish I would have found the right one first.
The reason I asked for a link is that, assuming it was on the CHDK Wiki, I usually insert a warning in the old pages with a link to Prepare your SD Card .   I also usually point forum threads about installation problems there right away - sorry that I was slow on yours.

I think the STICK script fails due to problems with mounts and umounts. Either the checks of returned strings or too early actions (umount fails due to disk not ready).
I'll ping @zeno (Dave Mitchell - the author of STICK and LICKS and ACID and others) via email with a link to the post where you attached a log file (thanks for doing that).

BTW, does it matter if the FAT16-partition is of type 4 (FAT16 < 32M) or type 6 (FAT16)? The STICK uses type 4.
I don't know - maybe @reyalp will have some thoughts.
« Last Edit: 27 / June / 2020, 08:49:29 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #12 on: 27 / June / 2020, 09:25:43 »
I’m afraid that STICK often fails like this on Linux machines. The problem is the variety of device name formats (in this case ‘mmcblk0’) that Linux uses - my code often fails to parse them correctly. I’ve tried several times to fix this but at 79 and with limited access to Linux I’ve basically given up. STICK works very reliably on Macs (OSX) but sometimes fails on Windows and often on Linux machines - my apologies.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #13 on: 27 / June / 2020, 09:32:23 »
It didn't look like problems with the device names (although they tend to be a problem). It looks like the output of operations may not have been quite as expected, but one gets failures also doing things manually - like trying to umount the device too early after some operation. Umount gives an error "device not ready", and leaves the device there mounted.
The latter is what I suspect.

BTW, maybe you could use a default name, and leave the user a possibility to change that name?
« Last Edit: 27 / June / 2020, 09:55:55 by turboscrew »

Offline zeno

« Reply #14 on: 27 / June / 2020, 10:06:40 »
The whole idea of STICK is to avoid the user having to do anything that might screw things up - e.g. causing a hard drive to be formatted because they chose the wrong device. Much of the complexity in STICK is trying to sort out if the drive has one or two partitions, how is it formatted and has it already been made bootable and then trying to figure out how it should be formatted and how many partitions it should have (less of a problem now since all post 2011 cameras only need one).

As I hinted I’ve reached an age where I try to spend my time doing things I enjoy (eg. taking aerial photos using kites - and building the equipment to do that, and over the last few weeks building a Van der Graaff generator)). I’m afraid grappling with unix and STICK isn’t in that category.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #15 on: 27 / June / 2020, 10:24:48 »
OK, but I think, a bit harder to use is better than easy, that fails...
But I can understand your point.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #16 on: 27 / June / 2020, 12:04:50 »
BTW, does it matter if the FAT16-partition is of type 4 (FAT16 < 32M) or type 6 (FAT16)? The STICK uses type 4.
I don't know - maybe @reyalp will have some thoughts.
I don't know either, but I'd expect it doesn't matter. Given that Stick works for some people on linux, what it uses should be ok.
Don't forget what the H stands for.